6.8 SPC Forums banner

300 Blackout vs 7.62X39

27K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  346CI 
#1 ·
What is the benefit of the 300 Blackout over the 7.62x39mm? I know the 7.62 has some issues with accurately feeding in the AR Platform, but otherwise what benefits.

#2 ·
You can use google to see the ballistics and terminal performance. Aside from that, the 300blk only needs a new barrel to work in the AR platform and is a good choice for a short barrel and reliable subsonic cycling in an AR.

Tapatalk on Thunderbolt

#3 ·
I wish 300 BLK ammo was as cheap as x39 ammo.

Lots of 30 cal bullets to pick from for the 300 BLK, even surplus and pulls.

The 300 BLK works well in the AR15 platform, some ARs run x39 like water too. If I had a stock pile of x39 ammo, I would build an upper for it.

#4 ·
I have a x39 AR upper and have had no problems at all with it. I had more problems with my 6.8 feeding. I think using the right magazine has a lot to do with it. I've only used the 10 round Cproducts and ASC mags, since this is a hunting rifle for me, I've not tried the 30 round mags. But the x39 works pretty slick in my AR, and shoot the cheapie rusky ammo better than I expected. CH

#5 ·
Check out Rock River Arms new 7.62x39 rifle and lower that uses AK MAGS. That should help reliability that some x39 AR mags have demonstrated. Depends on your use. Plinking and end of world stockpiling get the Russian. Trendy tacticool go with the BO.

#6 ·
Works in AR mags.
Uses standard bullet diameter.
Cheaper brass.
Uses normal bolt, which is both more common and stronger than 7.62x39mm bolt.
Has subsonic which cycles and rifles use a twist which is compatible with both subsonic and full power ammo.
More reliable feeding.
AK ammo sometimes has primers which require a special hammer spring which is not good to also share with a 223 upper.
Lots of high performance ammo coming out - which for some reason never did for the 7.62x39mm - probably because of the economy-oriented customer base of 7.62x39mm.

#7 ·
Works in AR mags? Yup, some do without needing mods.
Uses standard bullet diameter? Yup, can use most .308 bullets. Not all will be accurate or be sent with authority(power)
Cheap brass? You won't get cheaper than 5.56 or AK, factor in forming used 5.56 brass and the costs go out the window due to time spent on the extra steps.
Bolt? Depends on what bolt you use. I've seen cheap 5.56 bolts break.
Subsonic? No we are getting to what the 300 is good at
Feeding? If you mags don't need to be modded
AK primers? When ammo is cheap and from the 60s/70s, you might have a click every so often
High performance? That could be subjective. Not a term I associate with the 300. No need for hype inflated AK ammo, the cheap FMJ stuff works and 123 soft points kill deer dead. Isn't that what the 300 is marketed for, economic?

Help me out, I'm trying find a use for the 300 over using a 5.56 or X39. So far all I come up with is shooting subs out of a 8" barreled SBR with a can.....

#12 ·
Brad, how is the bo cheaper for training when there is nothing cheaper than 5.56? I'm not following.

I still can't see the benefit of the bo vs just a regular 7.62x39. The Russian is still cheap, reliable, ballistics are not dramatically different and I shoot it far cheaper than the bo. I just don't see it other than the parts commonality of the ar?

#14 · (Edited)
I shoot lots of Wolf WPA 5.56 ammo, for training, it's good stuff in my book. ~$220 delivered/1k

5.56 vs the BLK in the SD role, I don't have the factory 110 TTSX LV in factory ammo yet, the Blackout is NOT in the SD or PDW role yet.
The 110 TTSX Blackout round should be a great SD round, Barrier blind, expansion, and penetration. I havn't shopped for SD ammo in the x39 round, but I'd guess a Barnes TSX or TTSX would rock too.

The Blackout, it's a different weapon system than the 5.56, training will show sub-standard performance, from reliability(of many componets), to sub-par ammo. With the cheap pulls, it is cheaper to reload and shoot than the 6.8. Recoil impluse is different, site recovery is different. I also have lots of 5.56 brass, and I've converted many to 300 BLK cases for my use. I bet I am really close in cost reloading for the 300 BLK vs buying x39 ammo, I do loose some time, but 1050's are pretty quick.

I use 6.8's in the home defense role now, and 5.56 as backup/bug out systems, 85TSX is stuffed in lots of mags.

Shooting indoors, big difference in blast with the 6.8 vs the 300 BLK, and the BLK offers a nice compromise between the 5.56 and 6.8, and my 8 inch Blackouts fit perfect in my X3 Lo-drag and GunslingerII Back packs.

We are an AR15 home(and we have an extended AR15 family too), lots of 5.56s and no AK's, the Blackout makes more sense here due to Magazines, and lots of AR parts, and Brass. With 125 Ballistic tips, it's sub MOA, and the Blackout is reliable in my systems. More AR's(in any caliber), is always better in my book!!! Commonality is a huge plus for us. My daughters are not really the type that buy guns and ammo, but they know AR's, and knowing one rifle platform Well has it's pluses.

I still shoot at 3gun match's, currently I'm still using a 5.56, but since I can still use cheap brass, and (within 1 penny) shoot cheap 30 cal bullets, it loads almost as cheap as 55fmj 223 ammo. I have haven't prepped, and shot enough to see if shooting major will benefit me over shooting the 5.56 with a comp(my rifle has no muzzle climb), I've made major with a 175gr bullet, but for me I think I'd need a 147 min, then more gas for a comp. I loose most of the Brass, loosing 200 cases of SSA brass isn't very fun either. You don't see many AK's at our match's, it's all AR15's. Currently I'm holding my own with the 5.56 at matches, it's hard to give up whats working.

The Blackout is not a 6.8, but it's no slouch either, I've made a place for it, and it's probably here for the long haul like the 6.8. I have a G barrel coming from H, if I can ring steel 300M past the 6.8, maybe it will be a keeper, time will tell, keep the good stuff, sell off the posers. Guys with AK's, they have it going on too. Nothing wrong with that system, I would feel well armed with one, but I'm pretty smooth with the AR family(I'd be rough on an AK for a few minutes).

What is 7.62x39 selling in your neck of the woods, it's over $200/1200 rounds here, but I don't check prices often, but I cry when I see the 5.45x45(I think I got that right)ammo, $130 for 1200 cases, yes, that is cheap, and I've thought about an upper, but I'm good with 5.56 and 6.8 mags, and not cleaning up after corrosive ammo is fine in my book.

Blackout or 7.62x39, pick you passion, I went AR15(5.56, 6x45, 6.5PCC, 6.8II, 300 BLK), I've got the bases covered, and home plate too.

#15 ·
Big poles, little poles, FMJs eat them up, AK's shoot through them too!!!!!! If the 5.56 did a better job of shooting through blocks, cars, and other cover, we wouldn't need many of the other variants. I shoot super sonic, many think the Blackout is about subs, for me it's about SUPER SoNIC!

The 300 BLK isn't the end all of rounds, the best match for me is a 6.5 Creedmore(we have very wide open spaces here), I used to hunt with an AR-10 in 308, now I'd rather pack a 6.8 when deer hunting, and a bolt gun for ELK, a 338 LM makes a lot of sense here as well, phone poles beware!!!!!!!!

#16 · (Edited)
When it comes to different calibers, as shooters we are never happy, and every caliber is really a compromise between other calibers. I just have to look at my pistol collection, I've got holes there too!

Started with a 9mm, moved to a 38 super, then 45 for Bowling pins and USPSA, then I had my power Glock 10mm phase(I wished I keep at least one of my Glock 20s). Now I just keep 9mm Glocks, and 1911 45's, I should have a 40 in there, but I feel good with the 9mm's and 45's, a 40 guy might think I'm crazy(war there to, 9mm vs 40 vs 357sig vs 45 gap vs 45acp,lol), but I'll challenge any 40 guy to a bowling pin match, the bet: looser buys the super Big gulp, diet Coke with lime please. :a19:

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
I can plink steel all day long subsonic from the deck without pissing off anyone.
What an excellent platform to introduce to new shooters...quiet with very little recoil.
Good short to medium range deer caliber...most deer are shot at 150 yds or less anyway.
Short overall length will come in handy on my annual trip to TX hog hunting...sometimes we have to get in the thick stuff after em.
Still have 3 months to wait for my stamps but what fun its going to be when they arrive!

#18 ·
Are you even reading the threads here or just coming on to stir the pot?
Read the thread you started with the exact same post. I am dropping yours here because I don't want Bradl's info lost.

#22 · (Edited)
From what I understand they do good 5.56 work, so this will probably be good brass as well (case head commonality). New brass is probably the way to go (or other new manufactured brass) rather than the oversimplified hack and form DIY jobs where most of the annealed portion is lost.

#24 ·
I won't buy any SSA 300 Blackout Brass, but I'll buy ammo from SSA, I like their 6.8 ammo and Brass.

I cut and anneal my 300 BLK brass from Good LC 5.56, once fired costs 5 cents each, or New LC 11 runs 13 cents each.

I'd guess that a good Barnes bullet in SSA ammo will cost the same as a good Barnes bullet in SSA 6.8 ammo, we have to pay for the good stuff.

SSA, will they hit projected dates? IDK, they seem pretty nimble.

#27 ·
I paid $151 for 1,080 rds of 5.45x39 shipped or $284 for 2,160 rds shipped.

"Real liberty is never found in despotism or in the extremes of democracy"- Alexander Hamilton
You won't get any cheaper than that for a blaster, doesn't drop like a brick either. AK74s and others such as the Tantal are getting hard to find though. The cheap AK days are over...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.