6.8 SPC Forums banner

What is better, 338 RUM or 338 Lapua?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  chino556 
#1 ·
What is better, 338 RUM or 338 Lapua? I been looking over the two cartridges, for contemplating a good Alaskan Gun.

The ballistics are both great on both. But I'm not sure on what ammo is more commercially available.

What is easier to find ammo wise. The 330 RUM (Remington Ultra Mag) or the 338 Lapua?

Can any one else tell me of the major differences between these cartridges or what they would prefer? I'm leaning towards the 338 RUM thinking the ammo is more readily available.

Caribou and other long Tundra Hunting is what I'm contemplating for the gun. The 300s would be better for flatter shooting, but the 338 RUM or Lapua seem to have more to offer for all around capabilities.

#2 ·
In addition the RUM (at least in the Remington factory ammo) has the advantage of different power levels to tailor to the game your going after.

#3 ·
Hi,

Do you reload? The new 338 Norma Magnum shoots a 300gr bullet at approximately 2750fps and delivers a very healthy punch. It recoils much less than the 338 lapua, is slightly smaller but still out performs the lapua(240gr bullet) by about 10 to 15%, and has more consistency and accuracy over a range of conditions. It is holding about .4 moa out to 1600yrds. It has several 4 inch groups at 1K and a 7 inch group at 1550 yrds. It fits in the remington long action as well and the AI 300WM action and feeds out of the AI box mags. The down side is there are only one or two manufacturers making ammo for it right now...so reloading is really the way to go. It is the caliber of choice of our group of colorado elk hunters. Over the last three years it has killed elk, bear and mule dear with ease. There are 5 of us going to colorado this year and we all have 338 Norma's now. The farthest shot was on a mule dear at 1245yrds and a 6x6 bull elk at 742yrds. The bears were under 400 yrds and all were DRT.

Here are a couple pics of the bear and mule deer. That's Mike in the pics...Enjoy!

#5 ·
Nice rig...nice kills....

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.