6.8 SPC Forums banner

6.8 Bolt Gun question

12K views 57 replies 17 participants last post by  TSTmy68spc 
#1 ·
Has anyone on the forum used a donor action to build a 6.8 bolt gun? Pics and parts details please.

#46 ·
I will put the LTR up on the EE after I check it closely for all those interested.

The biggest difference (for a bolt action) between the ARP barreled Savage and the Remmy 700 P is really the rifling - twist rate and rifling style. The chamber does play in, but certainly not as much as in an auto loader.

I'm still very much interested to see which rifle likes which load, I doubt the 2 rifles will do well with the same exact load, same projectile and case.

#49 ·
Just got word on my McGowen Barrel

I just got the email from McGowen Precision Barrels that my 6.8 barrel in on the way and They are also including a $97 refund for an overpayment. I think I'm most excited about getting this refund more than the tube, for a company to do that says a lot about the company in my opinion because how would a customer even know that they are being overcharged unless you are dealing with an honest business operator. A big Kudos to McGowen!

#53 ·
Mag box adjustment?

For those of you who have had to adjust your magazine boxes to achieve better feeding of the rounds off of the follower what tool did you use to do this? I was thinking of removing the box from the action on my Savage 10 which was formerly a .243 win. and fixing it into a bench mounted vise and squeezing the top curved portion inward just a bit at a time and rechecking?

#58 ·
Savage 10 Box mag issue

My fabbed feed lip tool would work flawlessly if I could use it. The problem is I don't think I can remove the Box mag from the action. I have found through some internet searches that this is very common among shooters who try to do their own work. The way that the box is retained on the Savage 10 Action makes it pretty difficult to remove without deforming the box and would rather not mess it up. Instead I think I'm going to try a different approach and use some sort of plate placed on the lips and press them down and tweak them that way? any other ideas?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.