6.8 SPC Forums banner

6mm WOA or 6mm BRX

16K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  mmmooretx 
#1 ·
Eventually I am going to have one of these uppers. So far there isn't alot of info out there about these new wildcats. Just wanting to know if there is anybody out there that has experience with them. Any info will be appreciated on the pros and cons of each.

Makes sense to use the 6mm WOA being that I already have a 6.8 spc but the extra case capacity of the BRX is tempting.

#3 ·
a 6x41 is in my future...

#6 ·
It is the 6.8 SPC necked down to 6mm and shortened 2mm..... it was designed to use the 100 grain 6mm target bullets... I am planning on using it for shooting paper and varmints at range... my 6.8's will stay my real hunting rigs.

#8 ·
That is exactly why I am looking at the round, the bullets available for the 6mm is amazing as compared to the lighter offerings of the 6.8.. I still want to use my 68 for killing stuff but if I am going to be shooting small targets at range the better bullet offering will help tremendously.

#9 ·
That is exactly why I chose it. I am not a .223 guy, not bashing it, I know a lot of guys on here like it. I have three AR's and none of them are chambered in .223. 6mm has proven itself in the benchrest game to be one of, if not the most accurate projectile available. I use 105gr. SMK's and 100yd groups are one ragged hole all day long at around 2700fps.

#10 ·
what is the BC of those 105 SMK's? Do you think you could push them harder or where you getting swipes?

#11 ·
I would have to look up the BC on the SMK's. I cannot recall the number right now. I have pushed them as high as 2900fps but that was getting too hot with the powder I was using. The nice thing is that was with IMR4895, which I keep in abundance for loading 30-06 and .308. They make a souped up version of the 6mmAR which can get higher velocities, but I am only interested in accuracy for this upper because it is my match rifle and as I am sure you already know, highest velocity seldom yields smallest groups.

#13 ·
Thanks for the info IIRC I think the BC is around .5 or so.... I really want this upper for shooting at 20o plus and maybe do a highpower match with it one of these days.... I was just plinking away with my 6.8 a while ago and was thinking how nice it would be to have a dedicated "target" rifle.....

#14 ·
H what does it take to get fosters to make a custom seating die with the micro for your wildcat... plus whoever makes a good resizing die....

#17 · (Edited)
From what I understand the 6 WOA is the 6.8 spc necked down to 6mm and is not shortened like the "6x41". With the 6 WOA 90 gr. projectiles are about as long as you can get to feed reliably from what I read.

They are resizing SSA 6.8 brass with dies only available from WOA

#26 ·
From what I understand the 6 WOA is the 6.8 spc necked down to 6mm and is not shortened like the "6x41".

They are resizing SSA 6.8 brass with dies only available from WOA
Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question. I understand that they neck down 6.8 SPC brass to make 6 WOA cases.

What I'm curious about is if 6 WOA is identical to the 6 SPC, but given a new name, or did they make any changes to shoulder angle, case taper, neck length, etc?

#18 ·
That makes sense Frost, I was wondering about that myself.

#19 ·
Looks like the best thing to do is wait for "H" to get that "6x41" up and running and let him get in the game. The feedback on all the 6mm stuff is that it flat outshoots everything up to this point in the AR platform.

Oh the waiting...............(sigh)

#21 ·
Looks like the best thing to do is wait for "H" to get that "6x41" up and running and let him get in the game. The feedback on all the 6mm stuff is that it flat outshoots everything up to this point in the AR platform.

Oh the waiting...............(sigh)[/QUOTE]

That part does suck.

I guess right now it works. I have two builds going on right now that are taking forever and I want one of the 6x41's also. Plus a 20 practical. To many builds not enough time/money.:a33::a33:

#20 ·
Agreed, I already have the first 20 inch 6x41 barrel with a slab-side upper reciver, and a 6mm MCD plus the custom dies on order when ever he gets around to it......

#23 ·
H do you use the same resizing die? I wonder if I could call foresters and ask them for a 6.8 SPC seating die with a 6mm stem in it... I dont see why they couldnt do it for me?

#25 ·
When you get around to building it we can chat and go over everything I need to order......

#28 ·
I own two 6mmWOA uppers built by John Holliger. Both sport Bartlein 1/8 twist barrels, one is a four groove, the other a 5R. I just received the second upper a month ago. Neither have been fired, as I was waiting to get both in hand before I started load development. 1/8 is minimum twist rate as far as I can tell, a 1/7.5 may be even better.

The go to bullet for magazine length rounds is Hornady's 87 grain BTHP, not their V-MAX. Sierra's 95 is too long to feed from a mag, but gains nearly 100 fps on the 107 SMK. If it shoots better in your rifle than the 107 the 30 point B.C. difference is irrelevant. Some are using Sierra's 70 grain Match King for the short lines. Working velocity for the 107 SMK is 2750 fps +/-.

Varget and Reloder-15 appear to be the powders of choice, with most people reporting Varget as the better groupng of the two. 27.0 to 28.0 maximum for around 2750 fps from a 26" barrel. 27.5 grains has been reported by many as a good load with no obvious pressure signs.

Iowa's Highpower forum has people shooting it and are willing to help with questions. I think this rifle and caliber is too much for reduced course tournaments and should be reserved for full course events. It seems a waste of good barrels and bullets to shoot it at anything less.

I'll start working with it in the spring. I have not purchased the iron sights yet, load development will be done with a scope. I'll post my notes..................eventually.

#29 ·
Old thread I know but I've been wondering about the BRX in 6mm and I believe in 6.5 I've seen mentioned here and elsewhere. What exactly are those and what is the parent case?

Thanks

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.