6.8 SPC Forums banner

Elk???

31K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  Shaky 
#1 ·
I am heading out friday for an elk/deer hunt. I am going with a buddy of mine who is taking his .308 which is causing me to rethink what to take.

I was thinking about taking my 300 wsm or my 7 mm, but since my buddy is taking a large caliber already, I was thinking about taking the 6.8 and trying it out.

My plan is to let him take first shot at an elk, while i get first shot at the deer. I know that the 6.8 has plenty of power to take out a mule deer, but I am wondering if you think its a good idea or not to try and take an elk with it.

My dilemma is that I do not want to have my animal suffer. I want a quick and painless kill. Personally I believe that the 6.8 is a fine caliber for elk as long as you are within about 150 yrds, but any further and you are really taking a chance of making the animal suffer. The other issue obviously is how accurate the placement of the shot it. I am not worried about this only because i have practiced and practiced with my rifle and have consistently shot sub moa at 100 yrds with my 6.8.

Any suggestions.

Will be shooting 110 hornady vmax or 115 sierra match king. Both are handloads that I have shot with before.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Neither of those rounds are "Elk" rounds. If I were going to use the 6.8 on Elk I'd want the strongest bullet I could get such as the 110 gr. Nosler Accubond or even better the 110 gr Barns TSX or TTSX. These bullets will hold together when smashing through tough elk bones. You want a bullet that will peneratrate THROUGH the animal and let out LOTS of blood and in LOTS of air!! I'd also limit my shot to a broadside shot at < 150 yds. Elk are BIG and hard to bring down if not hit in the right place.

#9 ·
If you are looking for a good load on the Accubonds, I tested this out with a 20" Bison upper and a 16" DPMS upper. 29.0gr H322, SSA brass, Wolf SRM primers. I shot 29.5gr of H322 in both, no pressure signs. I loaded them out to 2.275" OAL, which fits in my C Prod mags.

Jim

#5 · (Edited)
Reactions: WVHunter1s1k
#6 ·
I agree with the other guys I wouldnt use either of those bullets for elk or mule deer......

#8 ·
Here is one old thread of our own Constructor dropping a Elk at 350+ yds with the 6.8 with 110gr Accubond.
http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2737

there are also others of dropping 300+ hogs and Bears (arteacher did that one) Here is a thread where arteacher shows it. I cant find the thread where he posted:
http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7070

There have been lots of big hogs and other animals taken at good distances But the majority have been with Accubonds or the Barnes 85gr-110gr tsx's
I dont think I would risk it with SMK's or similar. There is an really old thread that has a Mulie dropped in Wyoming with factory SSA 110gr tsx. Here it is:
http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2527

As you can see even going back pretty far the 6.8 can be effectiveon medium size game with the right bullet.

#10 ·
The doe my 10 year old shot last weekend fully contained a 110g v-max within about 6". The bullet acted like a 55g balistic tip out of my 5.56 and exploded when it hit bone. I found a few fragments, and that was all.

130g corelokt, or the barnes TSX would be my first choices for elk, or some of the 130g Accubonds. You want to make sure there is enough bullet left to punch as far through the animal as possible, should you hit bone on the near side.

#12 ·
Look at it like this, big muley broadside and still at 300 yards. You take that shot with a 7mm or 300 with confidence that you have the trajectory and energy to get it clean. I wouldn't have that confidence with a 6.8. I know H has taken elk at 350 with it, but I'm not H and few of us are as inimate with the 6.8 as H is. If I did use it I would definitely use the Accubond or the 110 grain Barnes.

#14 ·
Re elk hunting with a 6.8....just because you can, does not mean you should.
It will be "line-drawing" for many as to what cartridge is appropriate for which animals, but if the option for something more powerful is available, why try and "prove" it can be done with a lower energy cartridge? Plenty of history exists on what is usually used for downing large animals.
Texas says I can use my 17 Ackley Hornet for deer, and I imagine it would kill one...but I won't use it when I have immensely better choices. We are not talking about survival skills....

#15 ·
Well I just got back from the hunt and was unsuccessful...I took the 6.8 for mullies, and my buddy came along with a 308 for elk. I had to leave early cause I had to get back to work...poor excuse I know...but he is still up there. If any success comes in the next couple of days I will let you all know.

I do agree that 6.8 is a bit light for elk, but I thought that if I could get within 150 yrds it could work. Where we were at, and because of the hot temps, 65 degrees at 1 pm, we were looking at shots no longer than 60 yrds (actual shot around 30 yrds) because of the amount of cover...

I will be heading out to South Dakota over thanksgiving to hunt white tales and will DEFIANTLY be loading some barns txs before I leave and test them.

On a side note, had a couple of people stop and talk with me about the rifle...some interested...some thinking I was insane.

All in all a good couple of days out in the field and away from the office.

Thanks to all of you who commented on this...gives me something to think about for next year.

Thanks again.

#16 ·
6.8 on elk

Years past cowboys hunted deer with a 25-20 and elk/bear with a 30-30.Eskimos thought they really had a rifle when they carried a 30-30 against a polar bear.Peterson shot a polar bear and killed it with a .44 magnum years ago.It boils down to what you can and can't hit with what rifle.I hit a bull elk 3 times within 50 yards with a .300 H&H,he shood there like I didn't hit him.Then he fell over dead.I shot a running cow elk north of Yellowstone at 300 yards with a 30 mph crosswind,1 shot with a 8mm Remington Magnum.I will be hunting elk with my 6.8 this year.I have shot my loads into deer last year and know where they hit.I will be in woods with shots less than a hundred yards and I will be very careful where I shoot the animal.If I see a big bull at 300 yards I best close up the distance or take a picture.I trust my rifle to do the job if I do my part.Good luck to all you hunters this year and I hope to see a wolf in the crosshairs.

#21 ·
.Eskimos thought they really had a rifle when they carried a 30-30 against a polar bear.Peterson
I have never heard of the Eskimos using a 30-30 on polar bears... It is my understanding that the Eskimos preferred rifle of choice on Polar bears is the .243. I dated an Eskimo Girl for a couple years and some her family told me they love the .243 on Polar bears because it shot fast and flat, and the small bullet would easily penetrate the skull of the bear. When the larger calibers they had available would not.

I am not trying to say you are absolutely wrong on this, just saying my experience with Eskimos has not led me to the same info. Which could be a simple matter of difference in Eskimo tribes that are located in different geographical areas. Or possibly the 30-30 preceded the .243 in availibilty to them.

I would be interested to hear more on the 30-30 on Polar Bears.

@ OP- I must also agree with what the others have said. Using a frangible varmint bullet does not seem like a very good idea on game as large as Elk. I would personally have reservations about using them on deer too. But to each his own on bullet choice I guess.

#17 ·
6.8 and elk

That elk won't know the difference between a 110 acubond out of a 6.8 or that 180 corelockt out of a 300 win mag if both shots enter behind the shoulder and hit nothing but rib bones on the way in.

Bigger guns just allow you to make poorer shots or take shots when you might normally wait for something better.

The key is and always has been bullet placement. There is no ethical minimum claber or bullet size. Ethics rest with the shooter and his ability with a given firearm.

Going out there with a 6.8 to hunt elk is far more ethical in my opinion than bowhunting elk.

There is no telling how many moose have been taken by the 6.5X55 sweede, elk with a 30-30, etc.

#22 ·
Some of what's happening in the arctic is more social posturing than anything else. When I first got up there, I asked my dad why so many people up there carry on about the .17 Remington as a hunting cartridge. "Status"... saying you CAN/DO is like saying your drive a status symbol car in the lower 48. I looked at a gorgeous SAKO in .17 Rem. while I was up there. I just couldn't get passed that whole "I can't even get a cleaning rod down the bore !!" It was incredible... you'd have to get SOOO close to be effective with it, because it started losing SOOO much punch in a very short period of time.

Personally, I don't think I'd trust my life to a .30-30 against a Polar Bear. I'd have the .45-70 Guide Gun if I were slinging a lever action their way. I don't care if my grandfather DID hunt bears (up there) with a .22 single shot. I've got choices (he didn't), and, I'm not my grandfather. LOL

Now... with a Barnes solid bullet? I'd go up against an elk with my 6.8.

#26 ·
Some of what's happening in the arctic is more social posturing than anything else. When I first got up there, I asked my dad why so many people up there carry on about the .17 Remington as a hunting cartridge. "Status"... saying you CAN/DO is like saying your drive a status symbol car in the lower 48. I looked at a gorgeous SAKO in .17 Rem. while I was up there. I just couldn't get passed that whole "I can't even get a cleaning rod down the bore !!" It was incredible... you'd have to get SOOO close to be effective with it, because it started losing SOOO much punch in a very short period of time.

Personally, I don't think I'd trust my life to a .30-30 against a Polar Bear. I'd have the .45-70 Guide Gun if I were slinging a lever action their way. I don't care if my grandfather DID hunt bears (up there) with a .22 single shot. I've got choices (he didn't), and, I'm not my grandfather. LOL

Now... with a Barnes solid bullet? I'd go up against an elk with my 6.8.
Now that makes a lot of sense there RD. I didn't even think about it in that regard. I see that sort of thing in some of the small Tlingit villages down here in SE. Not specifically with caliber choice, but with other seemingly trivial things. Nice insight you have sir.

#23 ·
The idea of "proving it can be done" leaves me a little cold. Certainly under ideal circumstances with very good positioning and excellent shot placement the 6.8 is adequate for Elk. If anything goes wrong or even "not quite according to plan" you could have a lost trophy on your hands. Is disrespectful of the game I think ... but just my opinion.

Better to be over gunned than to be marginally gunned.

#24 ·
I have no doubt that a 6.8 will kill an elk and I know that they have killed elk. If that is the only rifle you have, then I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. I love my 6.8, but I'd never consider it for elk. I have other rifles better suited for an elk. I've seen elk soak up a lot of bullets before they finally went down. I wouldn't use a .270 Win for elk, I have friends that do with good results. On the other hand I don't think you need the latest Thunder Magnum for elk either. I was lucky enough to have a career that put me into the elk woods for over 20 years during the seasons, so I've had the opportunity to see a lot of dead elk most successfully taken and some that the hunter's lost. They can get away after being shot. I just wouldn't use a 6.8, when I have other choices. I'll stick with my .35 Whelen for elk. But it is legal, so you can use it, but if that elk takes off on you after a shot you need to be out trying to find a blood trail and follow up on it, that's legal too. I've see way too many hunter's take a shot, declare it a miss and not even go out and look for any blood sign of a hit. In a couple of days the birds would tell us where the elk was. I need to stop this rant, use enough gun like the man said and I don't think the 6.8 is it. CH

#30 ·
I have to agree with Chickasaw on this one, the min for Elk starts at 30 cal and at least 165gr's. Even that is a little light unless your using a high quality bonded bullet.

I have used a 338WinMag on Elk and Eland and thought it was the bare minimum. I killed a Gemsbok with a 165gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 308Win last year in Africa, and it took two shots to drop her. In 2007, I shot a 700+ pound Waterbuck with the same rifle and a GameKing bullet of the same weight. I got lucky on that one, the bullet shed it's jacket in the heart, I should have ejected that case and used the Trophy Bonded rounds in the magazine. We were hunting Limpopo Bushbuck and I wanted the thinner jacketed bullet up top, like I said, I got lucky, first that a monster Waterbuck appeared and two that I had a broad side shot at 80 yards.

Now, I use a 9.3x62 and 250gr bullets for the big and non-dangerous stuff. I suggest you use your 308Win and heavy, bonded bullets.

#28 ·
Kinda reminds me of the folks that go hunting Cape Buffalo with a 45-70. If you're lucky things will work out. In the case of dangerous game like the Cape Buffalo (arguably the most dangerous of the Big 5) the PH better be skilled and be armed with a big gun to protect your stupid ass if you screw up! No such downside with Elk.

(By the way ... When hunting dangerous game I carry a .416 Rigby moving a 350 gr Barnes X at 2700 fps, or a .458 AR moving a 500 gr Woodleigh at 2250 fps or a .470 NE double rifle moving a 500 gr Woodleigh at 2250 fps. I do not believe in being undergunned.)

#29 ·
6.8 use

WOW I am impressed with the need to stretch the 6.8 to the limit. This is a great round to replace the .223. Not only will it do better in close quarter combat by providing a very large hole and instant stopping power, but it can also reach out much further than the .223 for medium - long range effectiveness. I am happy to have such an overall effective round. Plus, you can hunt with it. However, it does not replace the .308 or any of the other long range rounds (it already does enough with the two above mentioned benefits over the .223 (except for ammo price where it does not outperform the .223).
Just my 2 cents.
I also believe that bow hunting is nuts - - - we have big guns now!! I appreciate the additional revenue that bow and black powder provides, but I am missing the logic (by the way I am a much better shot with a bow then my other cast of weapons).
Still my 2 cents.
I use my 6.8 to hunt boar and deer to see the utility of my carry weapon.
More 2 cents.
By the way, I love the round.

#31 ·
F224,

That is an Astonishing water buck! Congratulations indeed!

I adore the 9,3x62 for general purpose work in Africa. I do use 286 gr Partitions though. Instant kills on Impala, Zebra, Wildebeast, Warthog and Bush Pig.

Last year I took a .458 AR (a wildcat made from .375 RUM cases) on a plains game hunt just to be the first one to take the chambering to Africa. It literally knocked over a big Wildebeast at 65 yard. Dropped a huge Eland DRT with a single shot at 184 yards. Was pushing a 425 gr Rhino bonded solid base bullet at 2400 fps.

Have never taken anything smaller than a 9,3 to Africa on the theory that one never knows what situation one might run into.

BTW: I am a bow hunter and have had very good success with heavy carbon arrows and 125 gr Muzzies. Always pass through completely ... deer don't run far when you let the blood out.

I too very much like the 6,8 ... for what it is good for. Seems to me that a .338 WM or a 9,3x62 is much better medicine for them than the 6,8.

Mike

#33 ·
F224,

That is an Astonishing water buck! Congratulations indeed!

I adore the 9,3x62 for general purpose work in Africa. I do use 286 gr Partitions though. Instant kills on Impala, Zebra, Wildebeast, Warthog and Bush Pig.

Last year I took a .458 AR (a wildcat made from .375 RUM cases) on a plains game hunt just to be the first one to take the chambering to Africa. It literally knocked over a big Wildebeast at 65 yard. Dropped a huge Eland DRT with a single shot at 184 yards. Was pushing a 425 gr Rhino bonded solid base bullet at 2400 fps.

Have never taken anything smaller than a 9,3 to Africa on the theory that one never knows what situation one might run into.

BTW: I am a bow hunter and have had very good success with heavy carbon arrows and 125 gr Muzzies. Always pass through completely ... deer don't run far when you let the blood out.

I too very much like the 6,8 ... for what it is good for. Seems to me that a .338 WM or a 9,3x62 is much better medicine for them than the 6,8.

Mike
I've bow hunted elk since 96, deer and hogs since around 1976, if an arrow and muzzies(my choice for 20 years) or expanding heads now will take out elk then a 6.8 will do it easier. Not saying I would reach for the 6.8 when headed out on a trophy elk hunt if something bigger was available. I have used a 300 mag for about 20 years except when I go into the thick bottoms.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.