6.8 SPC Forums banner

Rear takedown pin hole drilled too low

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Bricktop 
#1 ·
Put together this Aero blem lower yesterday, and the rear pin is so tight, that I've got to use punch/hammer to take it in or out. Hole appears to be slightly too low. I tried to get a good pic of the space below the pin. Should I file the top of the hole slightly, or is there a better way? Guess I know where the blem is on this lower. Upper works fine on 3 other lowers.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would try another upper on that lower to see if it is in fact the lower. I had the same problem on a build I did for my grandson and it ended up being the rear lug on the upper that was the problem. I filed the hole in the upper lug to remedy the problem.

#3 ·
Two quick assessments:
1-take a rat tail file and work the lower hole until it is where you want it. OR

2-do the same for the upper.

However, doing the modification to the upper will lock it into that one lower. Doing the lower will make it usable with all uppers.

Your choice. good luck

#4 ·
If I were to file the hole, instead of a rat tail file that is tapered from end to end, I would use a chain saw file that is as close as possible to the diameter of the pin. Chain saw files are the same diameter end to end, and would help keep the hole as straight as possible using a file.

Any chance you know someone with a Bridgeport that can use the correct size end mill to 'move' the top of the hole?

I would not just drill the hole oversize to make parts fit together.

#6 ·
aero claims blems are only cosmetic, i would call them and perhaps arrange an exchange as obviously it's not "cosmetic". their claim is everything is good except for the finish, everything else is "mil spec"

barring that you might try a quarter inch dowel and some really fine emory paper wrapped around the dowel. take down pins are supposed to be .250 inches,,,using my rusty math skills that's a quarter of an inch

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.