Faxon finally releases their 308 pencil profile barrels
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
    68Forums.com lifer

Default Faxon finally releases their 308 pencil profile barrels

Last year I put together an AR 308 that weighed under 5 pounds complete (without scope). I used a titanium BCG, 2A superlite receiver group and a X-Caliber barrel cut down to 16 inches that weighed 31.2 ounces.

About a year before that I built a 5.5 pound AR 308 using a Faxon 18 inch medium weight 308 barrel. It was easily sub MOA with good ammo.

But Faxon has finally produced lightweight pencil profile barrels in 16"@$259, 18" @$269 and 20" .

The 16 inch weighs 1.79 pounds or 28.64 ounces, the 18 inch weighs 1,97 pounds or 31.52 ounces, the 20 inch weighs 2.07 pounds or 33.12 ounces.

Faxon makes very high quality barrels, QPQ coated and magnetic particle inspected.

These new barrels would be a great starting point for a lightweight AR 10 in 308. I probably could get my super lite AR 308 down to 4.5 pounds with the 16 inch barrel.

But what it means to most shooters is you can cut back the expense of a titanium BCG and or the expensive 2A receiver group.

Now remember these are pencil profile, so they are best used for when you need that light weight rifle and need less than 10 rounds as the group will spread out.

The 16 inch has a mid length gas system, both the 18" and 20 inch use a rifle length gas system. They have a lot of great adjustable gas blocks on their web site.

NEVER build an AR 308 without an adjustable gas block!

68Forums.com lifer

Default Memorial Day sale

Faxon has 10% off for everyone and 25% off for current military and first providers.

Haven't ordered mine yet

Quote Originally Posted by breastroker View Post
    Faxon has 10% off for everyone and 25% off for current military and first providers.

Haven't ordered mine yet
    Just picked up a 10.5 in 5.56 with my discount. Can't wait to piece together this new upper
    "You have never lived
    'till you have almost died,
    And for those who fight for it,
    life has a flavor that the protected will never know"

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by halfbreed83 View Post
    Just picked up a 10.5 in 5.56 with my discount. Can't wait to piece together this new upper

I built one with their 10.5". only thing I didn't like was no dimple for a gas block but made a jig and drilled my own. Other than that, pretty dam accurate and was ringing steel plates at 300 with a T2 and no magnifaction.

6.8 SPC Fan

FYI Right to Bear has Faxon 5.56 Pencil barrels on sale now for $144 shipped. Didn't see any AR10 barrels on sale there tho for the big boys.