20 or 22" Creedmoor barrel?
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Poll: Creedmoor barrel poll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    68Forums.com Industry Partner

Default 20 or 22" Creedmoor barrel?

Sorry but I need to take a look at this again. 20 or 22", fluted or not. Flutes add apx $50 to the cost.
    Mid-weight barrel or light? Poll below, choices up in a few.

The whole reason for me doing this is to make lightweight AR10 platforms possible. These are not meant to be bench gun barrels, plenty of those out there.
    A midweight taper may be .900>.800 at the gas block then .700 in front of the GB. apx 2lb 13oz apx same weight as my typical 20" rifle gas that is .850 straight.
    The lightweight taper could be .850>.750 at the gas block then .700 in front of the GB. There will not be a lot of difference but I just don't want to make a whippy Creedmore barrel. apx 2lb 9oz
    Flutes may remove another 3-4oz.

Plans at the moment are to make some for the DPMS LR (large)platform, DPMS GII(small) platform and the Nextgen. The same barrels work both in the GII and Nextgen. 1:8 twist 3R rifling.

Just my opinion-The lightweight will be plenty accurate enough for hunting and informal target shooting. 40-50fps difference between a 20" and 22".
    Last edited by constructor; 05-19-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    AR Performance 6.8 SPC, 5.56 & Grendel barrels.

Florida structural engineer & home design- Artibus Design

6.8 SPC Lover

I'm not a fan of flutes unless they're under the handguard, just prefer a smooth barrel. Are you still planning on a 16 or 18" .308 as well...G2 variety?

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MNhunter View Post
    I'm not a fan of flutes unless they're under the handguard, just prefer a smooth barrel. Are you still planning on a 16 or 18" .308 as well...G2 variety?
    things can change but here is the "big stuff" page from his web site
    http://ar15performance.com/big_stuff_308_260_creed

they are out of stock, but they are "future possibilities" as they would be a new item he hasn't sold
    Last edited by Texas Hog Man; 05-18-2017 at 12:32 PM.

LUCK
    is the residue leftover when you subtract chance from preparation.

If you reload, turn a flat based bullet around and seat it backwards in the case with apx .170 of the full dia part of the bullet left outside the case. Chamber it. If it chambers you have a SPCII. If not start seating the bullet deeper. If the full diameter part of the bullets ends up apx .070 out it is a SAAMI chamber.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hog Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MNhunter View Post
    things can change but here is the "big stuff" page from his web site
    http://ar15performance.com/big_stuff_308_260_creed
    Yeah, but they're all out of stock ?

They've been up for a while, just not sure if those are the final specs. Was hoping the .308s would be sans flutes.

6.8 SPC Lover

That ? mark was suppose to be a smiley face. Still learning how this whole reply thing works from the phone

68Forums.com lifer

While I'd like a 18", after speaking with PVA, the shortest he would go was with a 22" and +2 gas system. The +2 doesn't beat up the brass like the standard lengths. That was a Hawk Hill blank, was going to be over $700 with my extension so I'm still working with the Nexgen .308 barrel.

I'd say 22" mid weight, no flutes to keep the costs down.
    6.8X43 for hunting

01 FFL and NRA member

Default 20" or 22" Creedmoor barrel

For myself it's not so much whether the barrel length is 20 or 22" long, but the overall weight, balance, and hunting accuracy. The profile you used on your 224/6mm Predator rifle barrels seem to be a very good compromise all the way around if they're to be used for hunting. Adding fluting would be icing on the cake. I know not everyone considers the additional cost justifiable, but I'm sure there are more than a few that do and are willing to pay the differential. Perhaps you could consider fluting 25-50% of the barrels to give customers an option.

6.8 SPC Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 346CI View Post
    While I'd like a 18", after speaking with PVA, the shortest he would go was with a 22" and +2 gas system. The +2 doesn't beat up the brass like the standard lengths. That was a Hawk Hill blank, was going to be over $700 with my extension so I'm still working with the Nexgen .308 barrel.

I'd say 22" mid weight, no flutes to keep the costs down.
    I am interested in what made you change. Right now Im partial to 17-18" from one of the articles I read where they chopped the creedmoor barrel inch by inch. Would seem nicer for suppressors.

Most everyone of the big names running this caliber that I have seen don't go below 22" especially in a gas gun. To much loss in velocity. Just my experience.

train like your life depends on it, Because it does!
    A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Posted by HTR:
    They're smarter than dogs, warier than turkeys or deer, and more evil than a dungeon full of Mansons

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Nixem View Post
    I am interested in what made you change. Right now Im partial to 17-18" from one of the articles I read where they chopped the creedmoor barrel inch by inch. Would seem nicer for suppressors.
    Mostly from my conversation with PVA, you need the extra length for that longer gas system. Other shooters seem to agree the +2 it is better on the brass.

The only experience I have with the 6.5 Creedmoor is my 18" bolt gun as I prefer short barrels for using a can.
    6.8X43 for hunting

01 FFL and NRA member