Think About It - Page 2
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Think About It

68Forums.com lifer

every guy wants a "magnum", especially those guys with 35" mudders and winches on their trucks--- should have called the 6.8spc the 6.8 magnum and every beer drinkin'- small d#**ed american would buy 20 of them

Unfortunately I personally think that now-a-days its more about marketing hype and not "in field" performance --- add a fancy name like "socom", "dragon slayer", "TAC", "swat", "sniper" or something like that--- pair the name with a scantily clad good lookin' woman, put it in a Hollywood version of a "military sniper" movie--- and then it will sell

to me, performance in the field sells me on a rifle or cartridge no the marketing hype, what I can personally put on paper at what range, and what it will put down humanely in the field for my conditions is what I look for --- different situations require different tools

LUCK
    is the residue leftover when you subtract chance from preparation.

If you reload, turn a flat based bullet around and seat it backwards in the case with apx .170 of the full dia part of the bullet left outside the case. Chamber it. If it chambers you have a SPCII. If not start seating the bullet deeper. If the full diameter part of the bullets ends up apx .070 out it is a SAAMI chamber.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    There were 10s of thousands of guys that came back from vietnam saying the AR wasn't accurate in the late 60s and early 70s. Those same guys are still saying it. My brother carried a M14, he was SF. I can out shoot him easily but that doesn't stop him from saying the same old **** every time he gets a chance. There's no wonder most people think ARs are not accurate.
    I started deer hunting in 70s. Around here 150yd shots only happen over fields. I can't tell you how many people think they need a 7mm Mag to hunt deer. They even argue around the camp fire whether the 7mm or 300 mag is better.
    The 6.8 has a long row to hoe but it isn't near as long as it was in 2008.
    don't know about the m16 accuracy issue, never heard complaints of it tho, the failure rate was the problem. the first issue of that plastic piece of crap, we called it a micky mouse gun, caused the death of many a young grunt. i always carried a m14 and sometimes a 1911a1, neither of which ever failed. my ar's i've built are very accurate and with today's metals and coatings are more reliable than the early death traps, and i mean by a factor of 100 minimum. for a historically accurate accounting of the early m16 read "the hill fights, the 1st battle for khe sanh" and there are many more written histories of finding remnants of platoons shot in the back of the head at close range with the m16 disassembled to clear a failure. accuracy doesn't matter if the weapon won't shoot
    There is a Clique, I ain't in it, Signed, Paranoid Deplorable

6.8 SPC Lover

There's been a few companies that made offerings, but no one really seemed to "push" the 6.8 for standard bolt action hunting rifles. I think one of the best things that can happen is if a company like Weatherby that makes a great short action Vanguard (Howa made), comes out with a 6.8 option that is affordable and super accurate. It is quite possibly the best option to replace the 30-30 for just about any game under 300lbs.

That said, I've had quite the itch lately to find out more about the 264 USA, but little buzz is out there.
    Some people are more equal than others. - Animal Farm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by crayj View Post
    don't know about the m16 accuracy issue, never heard complaints of it tho, the failure rate was the problem. the first issue of that plastic piece of crap, we called it a micky mouse gun, caused the death of many a young grunt. i always carried a m14 and sometimes a 1911a1, neither of which ever failed. my ar's i've built are very accurate and with today's metals and coatings are more reliable than the early death traps, and i mean by a factor of 100 minimum. for a historically accurate accounting of the early m16 read "the hill fights, the 1st battle for khe sanh" and there are many more written histories of finding remnants of platoons shot in the back of the head at close range with the m16 disassembled to clear a failure. accuracy doesn't matter if the weapon won't shoot

another source of info--- "the rifle and the myth"
    http://bobcat.ws/rifle.htm

LUCK
    is the residue leftover when you subtract chance from preparation.

If you reload, turn a flat based bullet around and seat it backwards in the case with apx .170 of the full dia part of the bullet left outside the case. Chamber it. If it chambers you have a SPCII. If not start seating the bullet deeper. If the full diameter part of the bullets ends up apx .070 out it is a SAAMI chamber.

6.8 Member

Ruger released the M77 Hawkeye Compact in 6.8 about the time they released the Mini 14 in 6.8. Know a guy with one of each and thus far have not been able to pry them out of his hands. Offered cash, AR 15's, custom turn bolts and no go. I want some non AR factory 6.8's. The only real AR 15 accuracy issues I remember was when people first started reloading for them and realized the SP1's with their 1:12 twist would not stabilize a heavy bullet or issues with CAR's with under 16" 1:12 barrels. Have an AR SBR built by Vietnam vet that keyhole 62 grain bullets at 25 yards. He cut a 1:12 barrel to 12.5", it will stabilize 55 grain bullets out to about 75 yards. As another mentioned our little pet has a horrid name. Rather than 6.8 spc II rename it and leverage Jack O'Conners writing popularizing the 270 Winchester and call it the 270 O'Conner Tactical. Gets the 270 fans, O'Conner acolytes and the AR fan boys that strap 57 different rail mounted devices on an AR.

Have been enjoying my 22 Nosler builds but with 2,000 round expected barrel life they won't catch on except with Prarie Dog hunters and guys who want a "223/5.56 Magnum". Just got 1,000 of the new 5.56 M855A1 projectiles with the bronze penetrators. Plan to work up a load with them for the Nosler to extend the 5.56 can opener range. Have a steel armor plate left unshot that the first did stop M855 green tip as advertised. Can't wait to see what M855A1, 855A1 projectiles in Nosler and just some of the copper solid Nosler rounds did to it. If didn't have a vault load of wildcat turn bolts and sworn off anymore wildcatting would already be working with necking up 22 Nosler to 25 and 277 bore. A successful quarterbore would really please me as have a weakness for 25 caliber cartridges.

Until we get official military adoption, SAAMI standardization of spc II chambered loads or a real factory push feel the 6.8 will become more of a niche player. It's really sad as most people who bash it use its 400 yard plus performance when 99 out of 100 shooters could not hook up past 400 yards with a 6XC F Class bolt action. The dope for distance non withstanding, any breeze and have no idea how to judge for varying crosswinds. Hopefully it will hold on. White Oak and Wilson are still playing and both are well known by much of the poodle shooter crowd.
    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions

I was checking out ammo availability today in Academy Sports. They had 6.5 Grendel and .300 Blackout plinking ammo only, but for 6.8 SPC they had both plinking and hunting ammo. I took that as a good sign.

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by 37th Mass View Post
    I was checking out ammo availability today in Academy Sports. They had 6.5 Grendel and .300 Blackout plinking ammo only, but for 6.8 SPC they had both plinking and hunting ammo. I took that as a good sign.
    When I have seen things like this at Sportsman's Warehouse most of the 6.5 and .300 offerings cost more than the 6.8 offerings.
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army
    Twice Retired

6.8 SPC the most versatile MSR Cartridge available in the AR 15 style firearms.

6.8 SPC Lover

Huey, my mini14 is 6.8mm It was my first venture into the cartridge. I reamed the chamber to SPC II and it seems to shoot very accurately, better than most Minis. It is a very soft shooting rifle and I don't intend to ever let it go. Since getting on this forum soon after I acquired the Mini I have purchased the pieces and built 3 ARs in 6.8 and one it 5.56. I very much like the cartridge and it is my primary rifle caliber now. My screen name came soon after buying the Mini but I am also a fan of the AR.
    NRA PATRON Life Member

A lie told loudly and often is still a lie.

"We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, They will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion." Joseph Smith