Think About It
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think About It

68Forums.com lifer

Default Think About It

many threads discussing how to promote the 6.8, how do we boost use, how to make it more "popular" amongst the shooting crowd. what amazes me is all this yakking going on, and whenever a big ammo dealer gets ammo (green box S&B for instance) it sells out very quickly. bullets go on sale and disappear before you finish reading the thread. ARP gets barrels in and POOF they're gone. Yama has a bullet company, all to promote what is becoming a winner IMO many thanks to all who've made this possible

from what i've seen the little round that can has arrived
    There is a Clique, I ain't in it, Signed, Paranoid Deplorable

6.8 SPC Fan

I parked my 556. It's still here and ready to go, 99% of the time the 68 is my chosen one. I went to the range last week, 6mm grendel got the mos attention. I picked up the 68, my spotter sounded like a record skipping.
    Bullseye, over an over.

6.8 SPC Lover

I talk up the 6.8 whenever the opportunity comes up. My next door neighbor just finished his first one. He has two more lowers to build. Another friend built a lower and bought a left hand Stag upper then had to sell it due to home financial needs. He bought a new upper last summer from Brett and loves it. Another friend bought an 80% lower from me and plans to build a 6.8 with it. I am slowly spreading the word around. I am planning to get a vanity license plate with 68SPCII on it this summer.
    NRA PATRON Life Member

A lie told loudly and often is still a lie.

"We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, They will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion." Joseph Smith

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Addict

I mention it when I can and ask at the shows ........ 800 glitterfest disco queen looking bbls and hand guards on a table in 223 and Boo ........ 7-30 Waters and 358 Win don't last long either .
    NOE has run 300 + moulds for the 6.8 specific 278-124 in the last 2 yr and while that doesn't seem like a lot it encouraged Lee to make a production run of .278 sizing dies and a 277-130 mould run . That is 400+ cast bullet shooters over the last 2 yr adding roughly 4/week . Taking into consideration that cast shooters are maybe 10% makes it what 40/week .

I'll keep mine as long as I can feed it with something .

New to the 6.8

So I go to the local gun store and expect to have a hard time finding the 6.8 ammo and a somewhat knowledgeable whipper-snapper is behind the counter and is not sure of any such ammo in the store. Eventually, we spot some and so he takes one out of the box and looks at it with wonder as his boss approaches and says "looks like the 300b/o" and his boss scoffs at him and informs him that it is far superior and not to be compared to a 300b/o. I was pleasantly surprised, as most hunters here have no concept of hunting with an a/r much less the 6.8spc. But I have been able to find this ammo just as easily as my other oddball favorite the 25-06.
    only thing is, they are mostly what I would consider target or Varmit bullets. I wish there were some tsx or good bonded 110-115 gr. Rounds for deer. I just can't find any...

6.8 SPC Lover

Think about rolling your own Cat, then you can pick your bullet, make it slow make it fast, tune it to your liking...
    Last edited by wintys; 05-18-2017 at 07:35 PM.

New to the 6.8

Quote Originally Posted by wintys View Post
    Think about rolling your on Cat, then you can pick your bullet, make it slow make it fast, tune it to your liking...
    It is tempting..I just have no clue on how much it cost to make a custom round on average, to determine at what point it will become worth it..

6.8 SPC Lover

As far as recouping the $$ after set up and components it may take hundreds of rounds if not more but to get the best out of your firearm and what you want it to do. paper punch, hunt or what ever you can call it when you reload. At lest save your brass in case you ever do give it a try....

6.8 Member

Have nine 6.8's built and running plus barrels in stock for six more. Ordered two ARP 16" barrels this morning when saw on sale for $185 and have purchased so many under 50 or under 100 round count used barrels than can count. Have ten complete carriers not built and seven high quality bolts. Just purchased 18 billet lowers, a dozen SIG uppers and 18 Aero uppers. Afraid to say how many total lowers are stashed but they are too cheap to pass up and we are always one piece of legislation away from AR's going to over a grand if can find one. Have built more 5.56 rifles but 6.8's are gaining ground so fast have had to buy two vaults to hold them all. My issue is ammo, personally have over 10,000 rounds and 5,000 primed new cases but who else does? SAAMI has not set a 6.8 standard and with three different chamber dimensions floating around doubt they will accept it and if do, it will be anemic to keep a spec 1 or other non spec 2 chamber early design from grenading on someome.

Somehow someone has to get SAAMI to accept the spec 2 chamber and set a relatively hot standard or Nosler will neck the 22 Nosler up to 6.8, get SAAMI accepted and the spec 2 dies an ugly death. Have already built a pair of 22 Nosler's and if not promised myself no more wildcats would already have some cases necked up to 0.277 and a reamer on order. Think what a hot rod 6.8 that uses a standard 5.56 bolt face would do to us? Be another bunch of old flintlock holdouts trying to keep our niche pet alive. Really hope this doesn't happen but if does, will start building whatever ammo is most available for. What hurts the 6.8 spc II is what I love about it. It's the perfect structure clearing to 250 meter battle cartridge. Like to tell people if run the math, 6.8 hits as hard as a 5.56 rifle and a 45 acp pistol at same time. Many consider the 45 acp to be the penultimate man stopper handgun and AR the perfect small fighting rifle. Bringing one to a fight that hits like a 5.56 and 45 with each trigger pull just makes sense for zombies to elk but it's 400 meter and beyond abilities is what holds it back. How many AR owners can hit anything past 200 yards?

Last summer was invited to a 4th of July shooting event where they had a 25 yard range with ten stations. Was appalled to see my 5" 45 acp carry gun groups were smaller than most of the 5.56 AR groups by significant amount. I brought battle rifles and poodle shooters in 5.56 and 6.8 but when saw the range only one got out of truck was an 11.5" suppressed SBR with binary trigger. Could not convince the people it was not a machine gun. When picked up an AR offered and put 30 rounds offhand in half dollar size group they were stunned as most folks groups looked like buckshot patterning. Till 6.8 gets SAAMI approved and marketed as a zombie stopper it will continue to fade. Am afraid we may get trumped if someone makes a factory move on a strong quarter to 0.277 bore.
    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Quote Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
    . When picked up an AR offered and put 30 rounds offhand in half dollar size group they were stunned as most folks groups looked like buckshot patterning. .
    There were 10s of thousands of guys that came back from vietnam saying the AR wasn't accurate in the late 60s and early 70s. Those same guys are still saying it. My brother carried a M14, he was SF. I can out shoot him easily but that doesn't stop him from saying the same old **** every time he gets a chance. There's no wonder most people think ARs are not accurate.
    I started deer hunting in 70s. Around here 150yd shots only happen over fields. I can't tell you how many people think they need a 7mm Mag to hunt deer. They even argue around the camp fire whether the 7mm or 300 mag is better.
    The 6.8 has a long row to hoe but it isn't near as long as it was in 2008.
    AR Performance 6.8 SPC, 5.56 & Grendel barrels.
    complete uppers-