Southeast Montana Prairie Dogs - Page 2
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by wintys View Post
    You definitely have a wonderful wife and I would like to know more about that rifle... Bad A--
    Thanks, I know I'm a blessed man.

The rifle is built on a .223 Stevens 200 action with the bolt head reamed to .322". It has a custom 6.8 SPC, 20" 1:11, 6 groove McGowen bead blasted stainless steel barrel with 11 degree target crown and a RifleBasix trigger set @ 2 pounds. I added the MDT LSS chassis, .223 MDT mag and AB Arms Urban Sniper Stock last year. The glass is a 4-12 X 40 Nikon Prostaff with BDC reticle. The ammo I loaded and shot at the pdogs is once fired Federal cases, with Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers, 31 grains of A2200 behind the 90 grain Speer TNT, COL is 2.315". it's very accurate (subMOA) and starts @ 2960 FPS from this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by FB68 View Post
    Looks like a lot of fun. Does your ammo cycle alright out of that MDT mag?
    It works, after I used the Dremel to open it a bit. However, I still need to tweak it a little to get my long loads to feed properly.
    "I don't know what you're trying to do, but I can tell you're doing it wrong."
    -Johnny Bench

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB View Post
    Jerber

nothing like shooting p'dogs for hours and great practice. I'm headed out to Lubbock TX in a month with my son to shoot. Great fun and practice. I'm taking 6.8 along with several other rifles. Were you in Eastern MT?

take care, TexasTB
    Yes, Southeastern MT, South of Broadus.
    -Johnny Bench

6.8 SPC Fan

That's pretty cool im headed to Volberg, MT in a few weeks to try my 6.8 out on prairie dogs this year. Usually use a 556 but thought I'd give the ol 6.8 a try this year. I loaded up several hundred Speer 100 gr HP. Glad you had a good trip.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com lifer

That sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I was looking at guides out there and some are really expensive. Hoping to make a trip out there next year sometime with my Creedmoor bolt gun.

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spearjunkie View Post
    That sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I was looking at guides out there and some are really expensive. Hoping to make a trip out there next year sometime with my Creedmoor bolt gun.
    Call the BLM office in Miles City. They are very helpful and have contact info for ranchers who welcome calls from pdog hunters. The BLM also told me about a recreation area on BLM land 17 miles south of Miles City where the public can shoot pdogs. Any shooting on BLM land should cost you nothing! The rancher I dealt with was a super nice guy and wouldn't let me pay him.
    -Johnny Bench

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by JerBear View Post
    Call the BLM office in Miles City. They are very helpful and have contact info for ranchers who welcome calls from pdog hunters. The BLM also told me about a recreation area on BLM land 17 miles south of Miles City where the public can shoot pdogs. Any shooting on BLM land should cost you nothing! The rancher I dealt with was a super nice guy and wouldn't let me pay him.

I appreciate the the info and will check into that.