Southeast Montana Prairie Dogs
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    68Forums.com Team Member

Smile Southeast Montana Prairie Dogs

I finally had my first opportunity to shoot at some pdogs. My first plan was to hunt in South Dakota, but paying $40 for a license to shoot for 3 or 4 hours seemed dumb. Especially when no license is required in Montana. Called a couple of the BLM offices and ended up talking to a very helpful lady who not only suggested some BLM locations, but gave me the name and phone number of a rancher, who was leasing BLM land and wanted help eradicating the critters (he couldn't poison them on BLM land as he did on his own land). I contacted him (great guy) and he invited me to come on over and he would show me where to setup to shoot as long as I wanted.

Well, this was about as much fun as I've had shooting since I was a 16 year old kid shooting rats at the dump with my old .22 JC Higgins bolt action.

Although it was very windy, 20 to 30 mph, I was able to setup shooting mostly downwind and the .277" 90 gr. Speer TNT @2950 fps handled the wind better than I expected. Shots were between 200 and 300 yards. Took 94 shots over about 2.5 hours and killed about 2 dozen of the critters. Not a great percentage, but considering the gusting wind (I usually over compensated) I was happy. I shot with my 20" bolt gun with 4-12x40 Nikon scope. My only regret is I didn't take my son's 6-24 Vortex FFP scope. I'm sure my hit percentage would have been higher.

My wife spotted for me and took a few pics:

pdogs1 (Small).JPGpdogs2 (Small).JPGpdogs6 (Small).JPG
    "I don't know what you're trying to do, but I can tell you're doing it wrong."
    -Johnny Bench

68Forums.com lifer

Sounds like you had too much fun. Did you notice sometimes the pdogs seem to be running around just to tease you?
    NRA Life Member
    Believer and Supporter of "The Constitution"

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanlover442 View Post
    Sounds like you had too much fun. Did you notice sometimes the pdogs seem to be running around just to tease you?
    Yeah, but I'm too old and slow to waste ammo firing at a running pdog! I loved it when a big old fat one would stand tall like he was boasting and let me shoot, bust the dirt beside him, reload and take a second shot with him still boasting; just before I busted his butt!
    -Johnny Bench

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com lifer

Very cool, this is definitely on my bucket list
    When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid.

6.8 SPC Fan

"My wife spotted for me"

Family outings are always the best.
    Harboring increased optimism in the survival of the Second Ammendment as a result of favorable recent events.

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterloo Kid View Post
    "My wife spotted for me"

Family outings are always the best.
    Agreed, I'm a lucky guy having a wife who doesn't care for shooting, but enjoys spotting. Unfortunately, I didn't want to haul my large spotting scope and tripod, so just gave her the 8X binoculars...Not so good. We had a hard time helping each other find the same pdog. However, she said she enjoyed watching me have so much fun.
    -Johnny Bench

68Forums.com lifer

Sounds like you got a good one. She won't waste ammo but will spot. AND...like watching you have fun.
    Great combination.
    NRA Life Member
    Believer and Supporter of "The Constitution"

6.8 SPC Lover

You definitely have a wonderful wife and I would like to know more about that rifle... Bad A--

6.8 SPC Fan

Looks like a lot of fun. Does your ammo cycle alright out of that MDT mag?

6.8 Member

Jerber

nothing like shooting p'dogs for hours and great practice. I'm headed out to Lubbock TX in a month with my son to shoot. Great fun and practice. I'm taking 6.8 along with several other rifles. Were you in Eastern MT?

take care, TexasTB