12.5" 6.8 Observation
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    68Forums.com Team Member

Default 12.5" 6.8 Observation

I was able to get one of H's famous 12.5" 6.8 barrels last shipment and was doing a side-by-side comparison to one of the older ones that I had. The first thing that I noticed was the difference in the profile's taper. Upon further observations I also noticed that the newer barrel was approximately 1/8" longer. I don't have a scale so I was unable to weigh them to see if there were any difference. I'm not aware of any other differences between the two. No complaints -- just an observation. (Sorry for crappy cell phone pics)
    IMG_1598.jpg IMG_1599.jpg

68Forums.com lifer

I'm considering using this barrel for a 6.8mm pistol. I have to ask, what is the rational for a second? Any other comments you can add?
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xman View Post
    I'm considering using this barrel for a 6.8mm pistol. I have to ask, what is the rational for a second? Any other comments you can add?
    One is none - two is one....because 'Merica....seriously though, I like the barrel length for a pistol. Legal for alternative weapons (deer season) in Missouri and if I ever decide to SBR. It is a tack driver. One is built on a standard Aeroprecision upper/lower and the other on a LWRC set. It's and investment. Some people buy gold, I buy ARP barrels. LOL
    Last edited by mogunr; 05-17-2017 at 06:22 AM. Reason: clarification

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Quote Originally Posted by mogunr View Post
    I was able to get one of H's famous 12.5" 6.8 barrels last shipment and was doing a side-by-side comparison to one of the older ones that I had. The first thing that I noticed was the difference in the profile's taper. Upon further observations I also noticed that the newer barrel was approximately 1/8" longer. I don't have a scale so I was unable to weigh them to see if there were any difference. I'm not aware of any other differences between the two. No complaints -- just an observation. (Sorry for crappy cell phone pics)
    IMG_1598.jpg IMG_1599.jpg
    I was trying to make the barrel stiffer by making it larger dia at the rear. Took .050 off just behind the gas block and added it to the rear. The weight should be very close to the same but may feel lighter when built. It is the same profile as the Scout.
    AR Performance 6.8 SPC, 5.56 & Grendel barrels.

Florida structural engineer & home design- Artibus Design

68Forums.com lifer

My 12.5" ARP 6.8 SBR built on Balios Lite receivers is one of my favorite AR's.

68Forums.com lifer

I built an upper with my first 12.5" barrel and ended up selling it. Hated myself for that! I had 3 other ARP6.8's at the time and it seemed to be the one I could do without. Wrong! This second one doesn't go nowhere! Incredible easy to hit with for some reason.

6.8 Member

Barrel extension finishes are different as well. I would guess one is nitride and the other either stainless or NiB.

-Stooxie

68Forums.com lifer

since this barrel is out of stock at all the sources I found, we will have to wait for a comparison to the next production run.
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Quote Originally Posted by stooxie View Post
    Barrel extension finishes are different as well. I would guess one is nitride and the other either stainless or NiB.

-Stooxie
    Black extensions have been Melonite treated. Silver ones are RAW 4140 or 8620 (mil spec). None of the silver barrel extensions being sold by anyone are stainless. Stainless is the wrong material for shockload.
    Treating already hardened extensions with Melonite will lower the hardness 2 points. That isn't a killer but it isn't the best thing for a small area that gets pounded on.
    AR Performance 6.8 SPC, 5.56 & Grendel barrels.

Florida structural engineer & home design- Artibus Design

68Forums.com lifer

H, when do you expect these short barrels to be in-stock again? Thanks.