New 6.8 build
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 6.8 build

Default New 6.8 build

Im interested in building a 6.8 for the sole purpose of whitetail and hog hunting. Im mostly looking for opinions on barrel, upper reciever, etc. Im not pinching pennies but I would like to keep the price reasonable. As of now all I know is I'm leaning towards an 18" barrel with a 15" Diamondhead VRS handguard but if someone thinks otherwise i would like to know why and what you would use instead. Im new to the 6.8 caliber so any information would be greatly appreciated. I know i can get a decent complete upper from PSA for $500 but i would rather have something to play with until hunting season opens anyway. If i have time i may even build a matching lower. Thanks for all of the help.

6.8 SPC Fan

16" isn't that much less potent for hunting if you want to go shorter.

What brands produce good barrels for a good price? Doesnt need to be match grade, furthest shot ill get in my area is about 200yds.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Lover

I have a lightweight 16" Bison barrel and a 16" lightweight ARP barrel and they sure are handy when hunting from a tree stand or from a ground blind. Also easier to maneuver in and out of a pick up if you're getting in and out a lot.
    NRA Endowment Member

NC Lifetime Sportsman's License

I'll second, third or forth what others have said about barrel length. Really not giving up much by going 16" over 18". I've shot a couple of Axis deer (200+ lbs) and fair number of large hogs at and beyond 200 yards with a 16" barreled SPC II. Plenty of energy to do the job. I recently added a 12.5" barreled upper and with that I only gave up about 75 fps over the 16". I really like the shorter barrel. Very handy. The 6.8 works well with shorter barrels.

The 16" is a Wilson Combat and the 12.5" is an AR Performance. Both shoot very well. The ARP is under $200.
    Last edited by SABuzzard; 05-17-2017 at 03:59 PM.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kjfabacher View Post
    What brands produce good barrels for a good price? Doesnt need to be match grade, furthest shot ill get in my area is about 200yds.
    Make sure you check out ARP. My 16 ARP Scout is 40 fps faster than my 18" PSA, and is also more accurate. They are a screamin' deal for under$200.
    "Stupid is as stupid does"---Forrest Gump

6.8 SPC Fan

Default New 6.8 build

Im interested in building a 6.8 for the sole purpose of whitetail and hog hunting. Im mostly looking for opinions on barrel, upper reciever, etc. Im not pinching pennies but I would like to keep the price reasonable. As of now all I know is I'm leaning towards an 18" barrel with a 15" Diamondhead VRS handguard but if someone thinks otherwise i would like to know why and what you would use instead. Im new to the 6.8 caliber so any information would be greatly appreciated. I know i can get a decent complete upper from PSA for $500 but i would rather have something to play with until hunting season opens anyway. If i have time i may even build a matching lower. Thanks for all of the help.
    ARP barrels are generally considered much better than PSA. Most are very accurate. And they are in your pricerange of reasonable. Longterm you will likely wish you had gone ARP. Some complete uppers or maybe even rifles are probably still available here and there.
    I agree with others. 16" for me. The 6.8 round does very well with short barrels. That is the advantage 6.8 has over the grendle. No real benifit to 18" unless its a personal thing. I shoot 12.5" and 16" barrels.

Any upper reciever recommendations? I currently have a Colt lower. Id like something with a decently tight fit and clean finish.

68Forums.com lifer

Aero uppers are great , barrels usually fit snug in them.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

68Forums.com Team Member

Any upper reciever recommendations? I currently have a Colt lower. Id like something with a decently tight fit and clean finish.
    Small pin or large pin Colt lower?
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army
    Twice Retired

6.8 SPC the most versatile MSR Cartridge available in the AR 15 style firearms.