6.8 still getting good press..
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    68Forums.com Industry Partner

Default 6.8 still getting good press..

Cavity Back Bullets

Home of custom precision CNC milled projectiles and more.

Affiliates:
    AR15 Performance
    IronWorks Tactical

The 6.8 SPCII, the best all around cartridge available in the AR15 platform.

6.8 SPC Fan

Default Convincing

I am convinced but then again I have been convinced for a long time now that advancing to the 6.8SPC cartridge over the 5.56 would benefit the war fighter immensely. Being involved in Govt. contracting myself I believe this advancement barrier is solely based on the dollars and cents of converting a rifleman to the 6.8SPC and probably even the influence of the NATO factor. The cost of manufacturing and the tooling involved to completely switch gears is probably weighing very heavy on DoD budgets which is very technology driven for the time being. Outfitting combat units with a whole new caliber platform during conflict which for the most part we are still involved in means gun fighters are sort of stuck in that "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit" time. I believe commanders do want this sort of stopping power to be available but, law makers are focused on more technological advances while necessary it unfortunately only helps their portfolios and not combat troops. Until the need can be truly justified I don't think it will happen.

New to the 6.8

Quote Originally Posted by TSTmy68spc View Post
    I am convinced but then again I have been convinced for a long time now that advancing to the 6.8SPC cartridge over the 5.56 would benefit the war fighter immensely. Being involved in Govt. contracting myself I believe this advancement barrier is solely based on the dollars and cents of converting a rifleman to the 6.8SPC and probably even the influence of the NATO factor. The cost of manufacturing and the tooling involved to completely switch gears is probably weighing very heavy on DoD budgets which is very technology driven for the time being. Outfitting combat units with a whole new caliber platform during conflict which for the most part we are still involved in means gun fighters are sort of stuck in that "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit" time. I believe commanders do want this sort of stopping power to be available but, law makers are focused on more technological advances while necessary it unfortunately only helps their portfolios and not combat troops. Until the need can be truly justified I don't think it will happen.
    I keep hearing they are eying the 264.usa round. Any body else heared that?

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Yes, for the last 2 years. It is a spin off of Murrays 7mm UIAC. Not much different than my 6.5x45 and .277x45. I used a shortened Carcano as a base keeping the 24 degree shoulder and 45mm case length. The USA cartridges use a 17 degree shoulder and 47mm long case.

Murrays 7mmUIAC used a 7.62x39 blank case as a donor. It is a little smaller in diameter and brass is much harder to find. That is why I changed to the Carcano and the AMU/USA followed.
    Last edited by constructor; 05-10-2017 at 02:14 PM.
    AR Performance 6.8 SPC, 5.56 & Grendel barrels.

Florida structural engineer & home design- Artibus Design

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Related article on the original page that was linked.

https://sofrep.com/80973/us-army-mar...ntry-arsenals/

Full article is here http://www.businessinsider.com/us-ar...changes-2017-5
    Last edited by Equalizer_2; 05-11-2017 at 12:54 AM.
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army
    Twice Retired

6.8 SPC the most versatile MSR Cartridge available in the AR 15 style firearms.

New to the 6.8

Wars are not really about winning or losing its all about $ and the people who create the wars are the ones making the money they could care less about us little people doing the shooting and getting shot

I love the 6.8spc but I really wish someone like Wolf would pick up the 6.8spc so I can have training rounds.... the 6.5 grendel is like $30 cents a round right now!
    "You have never lived
    'till you have almost died,
    And for those who fight for it,
    life has a flavor that the protected will never know"

68Forums.com lifer

Typical of our military/govt mosheen.........Got something good that everyone realizes, but not good enough for them. Spend more money for development and before long you will be right back where you started.

I had already saw this article and was very pleased to here someone's fresh view on the abilities over 5.56, again. What a treasure this would be in the hands of our own freedom fighters. Even proving the design excellence for full auto functionality. The solution is already there.

Thanks for posting the article!
    "The gas came from a hole in the rear."

The 6.8 is the fastest growing cartridge and #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15."

The 68 is a great little round. It does everything the 5.56mm does and more. I am building my second 68 but a rifle this time, I have an AR pistol in 6.8. I have a bit of experience with the 5.56mm and I think with a 20" barrel no shorter than 14.5 it's an OK round especially with the proper ammo for the job. The new M855A1 looks promising. But look at it like this, a 6.8mm SPCII version the the AR15 can use many of the same parts even if you go with a bigger receiver set like the SIX8. Use a similar round like the new M855A1 in 6.8mm and you have exactly what the military needs. If not the 6.8mm specifically an intermediate cartridge is needed. If asked of any combat veteran from Vietnam to now would they like a more powerful weapon they would almost all say YES!!.

I have read a lot since my service and apply it. I was a scout and having a 40" weapon without a folding stock was a PIA. As a driver you could not shoot it out of a cupola or driver's hatch. It was impossible to to carry inside a M113 or similar vehicle. Even worse was the M203. The shorter M60 GPMG was better and the old M3 grease gun was perfect for drivers. The M4 improved on it but you lost so much velocity that the round now was not nearly as effective. Yet an M4 in 6.8mm is amazing in terms of size, weight and hitting power. The 5.56mm round is a .22 and it was designed to work at very high velocities. At the designed velocities and 1:12 twist it was a deadly round, although inaccurate and unstable. The more they tried to make it a useable system the more they failed. It was great at what it was designed for, an Air Force lightweight rifle for guarding installations. As a battle rifle it has been a failure. The 5.56mm is a failure in my opinion. Even the mighty .308 is a compromise that the DOD is now trying to find a replacement for their sniper rifle's ammunition.

For some reason some people despise the 6.8mm SPCII. I had a long argument on "The firearms Blog" with a writer there about it. He was never in the military, never served in any way, never saw combat or used a firearm in a fight. He hates the intermediate cartridge with a passion...LMAO!!! Someone who has no experience in the military saying what the military should use......just no. He brought up all this data that to me is useless. The basic fact is that as a soldier in combat I want a weapon I have confidence in, I want one that has a better chance of killing my enemy and destroying cover even if it weights a little more and the ammo is a bit heavier. No I carried a 308 rifle it is too heavy for modern combat for the average soldier but the intermediate cartridge is perfect. Maybe a 6mm which would be more inclined to be able to pierce armor that a 6.5 or 6.8. Whatever as long as it's better than the 5.56 and somewhere between it and a 308, which is exactly what the 6.8mm is!!!

A step up in design with the bullet, round itself and weapon is what we need. Whether 6.8 or whatever the 5.56mm is not the best choice. For that matter neither is the 308, the 6.5 Creedmore outperforms it and is one of the rounds SOF and the DOD is looking at to replace the .308 as sniper and DMR rifle round. Even as we talk here the DOD is going back to look at the General Dynamic medium MG in .338 Norma for special forces. Why? They work better and they have better designs for weapontry now in 2017.

I think it's time we stop waiting for caseless ammo and phase plasma rifles in a 40 watt range and give our warfighter better weapons now, that are available now.

6.8 SPC Fan

The most important thing that came out of that article is that the Geneva Convention rules need to be thrown out the window. We need to stop participating in wars and start winning them.