Hiding Scratches
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
    New to the 6.8

Default Hiding Scratches

I assembled my lower yesterday. I had a devil of a time getting the mag catch roll pin in place. Despite taping the receiver and trying to be careful, I still put a tiny ding in the receiver when the punch slipped, and also a light scratch near the buffer. I could just go over them with a black sharpie, but there is probably a better solution. What do you guys use to hide scratches on your AR's?

I know, it is a tool, not a museum piece. I could just say "it's not a scratch, it's a scar!", and live with it...

68Forums.com Team Member

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod4941.aspx

This is what I use is if it's a deep scratch that goes through the anodize. Or a sharpie.

68Forums.com lifer

Painters tape is your friend when putting lowers together.

What mogunr posted will work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com lifer

The mag catch pin is the worst. As mentioned, painters tape. Don't feel bad. The first AR I assembled was back in the early 90's. You Tube videos and the internet weren't available back then. Only guide I could find was a poorly written Marine Corps manual. I still have that AR. Not an AR to admire. One day I'll rebuild it.

Quote Originally Posted by 37th Mass View Post
    I assembled my lower yesterday. I had a devil of a time getting the mag catch roll pin in place. Despite taping the receiver and trying to be careful, I still put a tiny ding in the receiver when the punch slipped, and also a light scratch near the buffer. I could just go over them with a black sharpie, but there is probably a better solution. What do you guys use to hide scratches on your AR's?

I know, it is a tool, not a museum piece. I could just say "it's not a scratch, it's a scar!", and live with it...

I use a bluing pen and follow most of the instructions. I know as these rifles get used and they will get scratched so the bluing pen fixes that.
    Originally Posted by CJATE
    So no one has done it and lived to post?

Just put together my first AR on a cerakoted FDE receiver set (Aero Precision) and for me it was the forward assist roll pin that gave me fits and resulted in some nice scratches.

I found a small can of FDE enamel paint (Humbrol) on Amazon that covered up the damage pretty well. Not a perfect color match but I mainly wanted to reduce the glint of bare aluminum.