Frankford Arsenal Tumbler on sale - Page 2
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
    The way I use it the magnet never touches the water. I use it to pick up the media after I've spread it out and dried it. The magnet isn't designed to be immersed in water. As such, it isn't sealed.

That sounds like the best way to do it and I did get the magnet as well.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
    Mix in a teaspoon of Lemishine with that wash and wax and REALLY get that brass clean.
    Always have and always will. I just changed from Dawn dish soap to auto wash & wax with the Lemishine.

Just wait till next season!

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB View Post
    Brax

do you use the steel pins for both cleanings or only the first one?

thanks, TB
    that I have for a 5

If my tumbler is tumbling the pins are in there as well as the cushion the cases from beating each other to death.
    After I rinse I pour everything into the sorter basket and spin it and then dump the basket into a sieve That I have for a 5 gallon bucket and the pull the brass out ensuring the pins are all out and then dump the sorter in to the sieve and then a small bucket of water over the pins before picking them up and putting them on the drying towel before putting them away in the tumbler barrel. My magnet never goes into the water. Then my waste water goes down the drain in my back yard.

Just wait till next season!

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Fan

You can always put the magnet in a sandwich bag to keep water out of it.

I get best results when I pour out the dirty water after 2 hours or so and refill the FART with clean water/lemishine/dish soap and let it go another hour.

I replaced the rotten rubber feet on my dry tumbler and still using it... Yeah I'm cheap. lol

6.8 SPC Lover

I bought the magnet from Harbor Freight that has an arm about 16 inches long. I can reach down into the barrel with it and remove the pins then scoop out the brass. Anything larger than .223 I put a mechanics extendable magnet inside and remove all pins. I start by pouring the barrel into the sifter over a five gallon bucket. Easy to remove the pins from that then pour the water on the lawn. The soap is good for it.
    NRA PATRON Life Member

A lie told loudly and often is still a lie.

"We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, They will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion." Joseph Smith

6.8 Member

I use the tumbler to initially clean the cases and again to clean off the lube after sizing. I use my own blend of case lube and when I use my ultrasonic cleaner to clean off the lube, it leaves a film or almost a tarnish on the cases. I think it's the heat on the lanolin oil that does this.

I to empty the drum, I pour out the water, rinse with clean water, than again pour out as much water as possible. Then I put the grill end on the drum and dump the pins and remaining water in a 5 gallon bucket. I then dump the cases out onto a screen for drying. I pour out what I can out of the bucket then move the pins back to the drum with the magnet. Pins are still a little wet but I haven't had any problems doing it this way. The magnet gets a little wet also but never gets submerged.

6.8 SPC Lover

Just looked on Amazon and they have a different supplier showing the same unit for $99 with free shipping and no sales tax. That is a deal. I think I paid under $120 for mine.
    NRA PATRON Life Member

A lie told loudly and often is still a lie.

"We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, They will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion." Joseph Smith

6.8 SPC Fan

There's a guy on calguns.net that sells larger pins.
    He goes by the name of stilly.
    These pins are a God send.
    They will not get stuck in the primer pocket and not get stuck sideways in the cartridge .
    They are way easier to separate and do not stick to the inside of the tumbler.
    I bought two bags and will never use the smaller pin again.
    Cuts the separation and cleanup time in half or more.

6.8 SPC Fan

Reading all this sounds great for My Most Hated step of handloading.

But in all seriousness, is all this mixing liquids, using magnets, dumping dirty water, filling clean water, sorting steel pins, leaking water, rust, drying the water off....and so on....

In everyone's opinion, is all this work that much better than the Old tumble in Corn Cobb?? I guess it all stinks but....

Just your opinions...?

6.8 SPC Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JRunner View Post
    Reading all this sounds great for My Most Hated step of handloading.

But in all seriousness, is all this mixing liquids, using magnets, dumping dirty water, filling clean water, sorting steel pins, leaking water, rust, drying the water off....and so on....

In everyone's opinion, is all this work that much better than the Old tumble in Corn Cobb?? I guess it all stinks but....

Just your opinions...?
    If you have space, it's actually a pretty clean operation. And my lungs thank me for it.
    How do you personally clean out the cases after you dry tumble?
    When wet tumbling, as soon as it is dry, it is sparkly clean and ready for loading.