New Young Bolts
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Young Bolts

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Default New Young Bolts

After spending many a mile back and forth going down to Young Manufacturing on various projects he has finally got all the parts, done in house BTW, for his bolts.

These are for the 7.,62X 39 , 0.125 depth, Nicely chromed and MPI'd. The are enhanced in that the lugs are heavier and will add additional strength to the strong 9310 steel. Standard barrel extension is used on these. The tail is cut for use with a standard firing pin so no need to spend extra $$'s there. I've been holding off on my 20 LBC loading as I want to push them hard and wanted to wring these out. Hopefully Tuesday will be the big day. One is on it's way to St. George for a freshly minted 243 LBC shakedown that will be loaded hot to see what we can get out of it.

I'll be getting more of these in the near future. He is taking phone orders at this point.

Greg
    Last edited by GLShooter; 05-05-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    CHECK OUT BHW'S OWN FORUM FOR GREAT INFORMATIUON

68Forums.com Team Member

They sound very much like the ARP Super bolts. All my 6.8 based rifles as well as the 6.5 CSS (6.5G variant), 7.62 x39, and 5.45x39 use SB and if the Young bolts work as well and are as strong as the SBs then they have a winner.
    Join the N.R.A.
    Beware speaking with a sharp tongue as you are apt to cut your own throat.
    On the 8th day God created HKs.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bore View Post
    They sound very much like the ARP Super bolts. All my 6.8 based rifles as well as the 6.5 CSS (6.5G variant), 7.62 x39, and 5.45x39 use SB and if the Young bolts work as well and are as strong as the SBs then they have a winner.
    He started working on these about a year ago and finally geared up to make his own extra extractors, He told me his goal was to have one that was stronger than any of the generics coming through his hands so he decided to invest in the machinery to make it happen. I do believe they will take it and time will tell us. His products have always delivered for me over the past five or six years. I'm happy with these for sure.

Greg

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Lover

ordered one (thursday) for a 243LBC build
    should have it today or monday
    "It's better to be tried by 12 than to be carried by six"

New to the 6.8

Those look every bit as good as advertised. It's noticeably thicker around the case head. I am curious how they make that part thicker and still fit in normal barrel extensions?

Quote Originally Posted by 204 AR View Post
    Those look every bit as good as advertised. It's noticeably thicker around the case head. I am curious how they make that part thicker and still fit in normal barrel extensions?
    I suppose you could call and talk to him. I suspect careful measurement. Ritch found the case head wall is definitely thicker than any of he other enhanced bolts he had on hand. I now have a couple of them this size as I got a prototype many months ago. They go in the carrier and the BE as slick as cat gut. I've swapped the bcg out in over a dozen uppers checking for fit and have seen no issues. I'll shoot this one Tuesday if the wind stops.

Greg
    Last edited by GLShooter; 05-06-2017 at 10:10 PM.

New to the 6.8

Quote Originally Posted by GLShooter View Post
    I suppose you could call and talk to him. I suspect careful measurement. Ritch found the case head wall is definitely thicker than any of he other enhanced bolts he had on hand. I now have a couple of them this size as I got a prototype many months ago. They go in the carrier and the BE as slick as cat gut. I've swapped the bcg out in over a dozen uppers checking for fit and have seen no issues. I'll shoot this one Tuesday if the wind stops.

Greg
    Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt for a second that it works. But my logic has to ask the question: If the thicker, heavier one works, why aren't they all thicker/heavier built. I think I know the answer is that 7.62 bolts have been based on mil spec 5.56 bolts which have generous tolerances in that area as they didn't need thicker case head walls. But you would think that someone would have measured to see how much more space they had to work with and made them that way before now. Especially with the breakage issues the thinner ones can have.

But kudos to Young for building a better bolt! They look great.

I'd say you have a pretty good grasp of it. There have been several hit the market in the past few years so apparently some cogitating has been going on.

Greg

New to the 6.8

I snagged one of these with the .136 bolt face, and they are every bit as nice as advertised. Beautiful piece of machining. I've always had good luck with stuff from Young.

I took my new Young bolt out today and ran it hard in my 7.62X39 and my 243 LBC. Function was perfect with a myriad of various manufactured and handloads. I'll be adding these to my heavy use guns. I'll go ahead and get a Grendel depth one and try it out next week.

Greg