308 - Savage Hog Hunter vs 10 FCP-SR (20")
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    6.8 Member

Default 308 - Savage Hog Hunter vs 10 FCP-SR (20")

My Omega can needs a dedicated 308 bolt. Use is deer hunting and occasional target shooting 300 yards and under. Please let me know if you have experience with either - preferably both. I need recommendations!

6.8 SPC Lover

I have both and like both. If I had to choose between the two I would take the FCP-SR due to the box mag and better stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.8 Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I have both and like both. If I had to choose between the two I would take the FCP-SR due to the box mag and better stock.

Have you had any issues with the FCP-SR magazine?

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Lover

Nope. I have had more issues trying to load the hog hunter because I like my scopes mounted as low as possible.

6.8 SPC Lover

Got the FCP-SR, but honestly haven't shot it much yet. What I have shot has been bulk type FMJ from walmart, so can't speak to performance. That said it is a Savage 308, so I think speaks for itself.

I was originally going to get a Hog Hunter, the only thing it didn't have that I wanted was the drop box magazine. Then discovered the FCP-SR which had all the features of the Hog Hunter, plus the DBM, Accu-stock, and scope mount rail. Didn't care about the 10 round magazine or tacticool bolt handle, but those were easy fixes.

Only problem I've had with the magazine is the top round popping out of the 10 round magazine. I purchased a standard 4 round magazine that I intend to use for hunting, haven't had any problems with it.

6.8 SPC Addict

I think whatever optic you want to use is probably a bigger determinant of which is better. My brother has both (well his Hog Hunter is 338 WM), and they both have roles. He put an UltraDot on the 338WM, so it is a shorter range beast. He has a regular scope on the 10 FCP-SR, which is used for longer distance.

If you are using a traditional scope on the Hog Hunter, as mentioned above, you will need tall rings or have to get your fingers tucked in there to feed rounds, which can be a pain, especially if you are reloading. So if you want a scope, do the 10 FCP-SR. If you want to use a red dot or the factory irons, where they wont interfere with feeding, go hog hunter.

6.8 Member

Great points. The DBM is a plus. Certainly see the FCP-SR as the better option due to loading issues with low mounted scope, which is how it will be setup.

6.8 SPC Lover

My 10FCP-SR has a problem with the 10 round magazine that is fairly common based on web complaints. It only holds 9 rounds. Supposedly Savage will replace the mag, but I haven't sent mine in yet.
    Vote Out All Anti-gun Incumbents

Enact Term Limits
    {SIZE}

I'm a deplorable and I vote!
    [/SIZE][/B][/I]

68Forums.com lifer

There is also the Savage Scout if you want a rifle with iron sights, threaded barrel and detachable magazines.

6.8 Member

Quote Originally Posted by crazysccrmd View Post
    There is also the Savage Scout if you want a rifle with iron sights, threaded barrel and detachable magazines.
    Yes. But the 10 FCP-SR will be cheaper and no need for irons.