6.8 spc vs 6.8 spc II - Page 2
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    6.8 SPC Lover

The best load data you can get is here
    http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...Bullet-Reviews

New to the 6.8

Quote Originally Posted by ATEXAN View Post
    The best load data you can get is here
    http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...Bullet-Reviews

I have looked over many of these loads but didn't see anywhere where there was a stated difference between a SPC I load vs a SPC II only load. The basis for my question was where is the cut off between spec 1 and spec 2 and how much more the spec 2 can handle vs the spec 1. I had (probably foolishly) that there would be an easy answer such as the spec 2 chamber can handle 10% more then the spec 1 can, but from what I've read this is not to be.

6.8 SPC Lover

If your chamber is spec II or ARP then work your way up to those loads and stop when you see pressure signs as you do when loading for any caliber. Most of these loads are 58k-62k in ARP Chambers that can handle 62k psi. Spec II is not a saami chamber but 58k is a good # for spec II. Different types of brass may not be safe, please work up and check for signs. Use .5 gr 1 shot latter and when 3 shots get a good group fine tune from there. There is more than one accuracy node normally.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Lover

Spec II is essentially a wildcat. We do all sorts of things to get more out of the cartridge. Always work up and check for signs. Many people go over max loads with saami cartridges all the time but some rifles such as my savage 99 .243 can't even get to max with a certain type of brass but with other types it can. As some others stated any published data above the minimum load is only considered safe in the rifle those loads were tested in. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with what your asking?

Edit: yama replied what saami max was for 6.8 spc saami chamber
    Last edited by ATEXAN; 05-04-2017 at 05:02 PM.

68Forums.com lifer

I normally start at SAAMI max when working up for a SPC II load. Normally, I'll find one accuracy node just above SAAMI max, and another about 1 grain over. I start at 2.28", because accuracy is usually better from the longer length. Pressure signs will appear faster at the factory 2.26" also.
    "Stupid is as stupid does"---Forrest Gump

New to the 6.8

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with what your asking?

Just curious mostly but really just don't want to blow things up.

6.8 SPC Lover

What barrel are you running?

New to the 6.8

What barrel are you running?
    16"Rock River Arms SPCII

Well I was getting 1.6" 5 shot groups with 2.295 COAL and 110 gr Hornady V-Max and the max (listed) charge of 29.5 gr of H335, I bumped it up to 30 grs and the group opened up to 5 1/8". This is only .5 gr over max with no pressure signs so I could go more but with an almost 1.5 " group is it really worth it? Adjusting COAL is next on the agenda.

Tried Ramshot X-Terminator with 3 different loads and best I could do was 3" used 28.5, 29.0 and 29.5 grs. Still more available to play with but is X-Terminator worth it with this round?

Also have not seen anybody post anything about Varget, is this powder to slow?

6.8 SPC Lover

Varget is too slow for the 6.8... in fact 335 is at the slow end of the burn rate that works for a 6.8

Try H322, 10x, and AA2200 with the 110 vmax and hpbt..... Keep your eye on the post about CFE blk that's a promising looking powder

New to the 6.8

been wondering about CFE Blk and posted about it else where. Have seen another member post about it lately. Some posters loved it some hated it, which is to be expected. Just have to try it in my gun and see what happens.