Bison Armory 6.8 18" Recon Upper?
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Default Bison Armory 6.8 18" Recon Upper?

Getting ready to order a new Bison 6.8 SPC upper with an 18 inch Recon barrel, Aero 12" M-Loc handguard and standard flash suppressor. Just wondering what kind of feedback anyone has on this purchase. I have been shooting a J&P 6.8 upper for about 8 years now, only problem with the upper is it has 1:9.5 twist and I am now all set up to handload this round. I still have about 300 rounds of the standard velocity ammo that I bought years ago, shoots well in my present rifle but flattens primer and some have strong swipe marks on the brass. Figure I'll end up stripping this old girl down and trash the barrel. The Bison barrel has the 1:11 twist rate and up to date chamber so I expect no pressure issue. I managed to order 2 boxes of Barnes TTSX 95gr bullets from Midsouth Shooters Supply yesterday along with a new Warn one piece Gen 2 skeletonizes 1" scope mount, just have to find some AA2200 at a local gun store in my area because that seems to be the choice and gives the best performance to shooters on the Forum.
    I was wondering by chance if anyone knows who manufactures the current batch of 6.8 Barrels for Bison Armory.

Default Ordered new upper today

Update -- I sent an Email to Bison Armory about parts in stock for my proposed order, they sent a quick response indicating all was in stock. With that information I went right to their website and placed my order, looking forward to the delivery.

6.8 Member

Congrats!! good luck with the new parts. Bison seems to make some really top notch parts even though I don't have any experience with them myself, it should be a good shooter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

I shoot the same barrel with a Troy hand guard. I don't reload so I'm stuck with factory for the time. With 110 grain VMAX I have shot my best group ever, sub 1/4"! It consistently shoots sub 1". The only complaint I have is that I have large POI shifts with different ammunition. 120 SST would still be usable, but 90 grain gold dots, and all the old SSA I've shot were off paper At 100 yards ( about 6" right and 8" low). I plan on rebuilding on a different upper and see what happens. IMG_0599.JPG
    I have also assembled 3 uppers with 16" recon barrels and all have shot well without the POI shifts

Default Got the Bison 6.8 Upper today I ordered a couple weeks ago!

Today I received the Upper that I ordered from Bison Armory two weeks ago, the only thing I changed when I ordered was I got the barrel bead blasted and got the optional 6.8 JP Enhanced Bolt. They did a nice assembly job, looks terrific, I'll just add a bolt carrier, drop it into an existing lower, then put a scope on and break it in. I'll take it out this weekend and shot 40 rounds or so, do some reloading then break out my chronograph and enjoy myself over the summer. I'm looking forward to the trigger time!

68Forums.com Team Member

I ordered that same barrel back in 2011-ish. It shoots very well with hand loads. I don't get the velocity I get in a 20" 3 groove ARP, but accuracy is amazing.

I did take several years off from 6.8 and ARs in general, it just sat in the back of the safe. I'm finishing up shooting the stuff I loaded then getting into stuffing AA2200 into some cases. I'm still getting better accuracy with H335, and I'm starting to get the velocity I want. Still going to work with​ AA2200, probably load up some today to test.

Let us know how it works though!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brave, brave were the soldiers (high named to-day)
    who lived through the fight;
    But the bravest press'd to the front and fell, unnamed,
    unknown - Whitman