6.8 SPC Forums banner

AR308 Ejection Issue

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  alphasig 
#1 ·
I was shooting with a buddy who has an AR308 build this weekend and noticed his brass was ejecting almost straight forward (all were between 12:30-1:30 and landing about 3 feet from the ejection port while shooting prone). He said that how it's always shot and has never had any issues with the rifle extracting/cycling/etc. He has an adjustable gas block so we tried to re-tune it. Anyhow...the gas block is an SLR Sentry 7 clamp-on and according to SLR has 15 usable positions, and for this discussion I'll use position 1 as closed and position 15 as wide-open. When we were tuning the gas block positions 1-4 did not allow the rifle to cycle, when we got to position 5 it allowed the rifle to lock back on an empty mag most of the time and ejected the round at 3:00 very limply, about 1 foot from the port, position 6 allowed 100% reliable ejection but would eject almost straight forward as mentioned above. We kept opening the block just to see if anything would change and it did not...everything from position 6-15 ejected almost straight forward. There is a fair amount of scuffing on part of the ejection port opening itself...looks as if scuffing is from the ejecting case and is wearing off the anodizing...but only on the lower rear portion of the ejection port opening. Anyhow...even though the rifle runs 100% reliably it didn't seem normal to me. I have a few 308AR's that are built very similar to his and none have that issue.

He has Maten receivers, a Rubber City Armory BCG, the SLR adjustable gas block, a Faxon 18" barrrel (mid-gas), and shoots Federal GMM 175 grain ammo. Carbine buffer tube with standard 308 carbine buffer/spring.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc as to what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
No brass marks on the casing deflector? NO BRASS MARKINGS BUT HE SAID THERE IS A SMALL SPOT AT THE BASE OF THE DEFLECTOR (RIGHT AT THE PORT OPENING) THAT ALSO HAS THE ANODIZING SCUFFED OFF. Sounds odd that its smacking the brass against the port opening and they aren't getting to the deflector? AGREED Weak or sticky ejector? IT DIDN'T APPEAR TO BE BUT WE JUST DID A SIMPLE QUICKIE INSPECTION AT THE RANGE Ejector full of brass shavings? UNKNOWN, BUT WILL CERTAINLY HAVE HIM CHECK TO MAKE SURE, I THINK SINCE HE SAID IT HAS BEEN LIKE THAT SINCE IT WAS BUILT I WAS ASSUMING (PERHAPS WRONGLY) THAT WASN'T THE CASE
He did order a new ejector and spring and a JP enhanced extractor today so we'll see if that fixes it.

#4 ·
Something is definitely not right or not in balance. My 308 and 260 Remington uppers throw brass at about 3-4 o'clock and so far I have a tough time finding it all. With an adjustable blck you should be able to almost "tune" where ejection goes. AR10 type rifles usually have more than enough gas to do most anything with it.

#5 · (Edited)
I just had to fix mine. I pulled the ejector out and clean it. Must of had something inside spring or housing. Mine would not eject the spent case from the bolt face. I could really see it when I manually operated the slide The round would be stuck on the bolt. Which cause the spent case to get crushed on the case opening and double feed any round. Works fine now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.