Wc844
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wc844

68Forums.com lifer

Default Wc844

i bought several 8lb jugs of this from AR. tested some today in a 556 with 20" barrel. made up 3 loads for the 64gr gold dot. went low from the manual. loaded 24.3 which chrono'd at 2929 fps, the strap that holds the magneto speed on the rifle was either cut by a bullet or the vortex did it in so no chrono on the other loads. 24.7 just "felt" the best, 25 gr was just showing some small primer flattening. i used AE 55gr factory loads for a baseline and they clocked over 3189 fps and show some slight flattening. didn't really shoot for accuracy but to check function and velocity, that being said i would want anyone who could shoot aiming at me with em
    There is a Clique, I ain't in it, Signed, Paranoid Deplorable

6.8 SPC Fan

Military loading is 26.1 with the M855 62g bullet. 3025fps with that charge.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by chris3018 View Post
    Military loading is 26.1 with the M855 62g bullet. 3025fps with that charge.
    i'm going to load some ladders above 25 gr and see how they work out

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com lifer

I bought 8# of it a while back and tested some loads recently compared to H335. I really saw no real difference in the same loads in my 223 and even in my 6.5X6.8. Good stuff.

6.8 SPC Fan

My lot (#726) of WC-844 is considerably slower that H-335…

I’ve used it in the 222 Remington, 223 Remington, 6.8mm SPC, 7-30 Waters, 30-30 Winchester, 30-40 Krag, and the 308 Winchester with equal charges of WC-844 and H-335 and the same bullets either jacketed or cast, and the WC-844 produces very noticeably less velocity…

It produced good accuracy in the 223 Remington, the 30-30 Winchester, and the 7-30 Waters. Accuracy in the other cartridges was not acceptable at all…

None of these firearms are semi’s so I don’t know how it would act with those types…

With surplus powders, lot numbers are definitely a thing that must be observed, and chronographs are a must, in my opinion. And they should be tested side by side with equal charges of the recommended powder data (a known canister powder with published data) indicated to be used for the surplus powders. I presently have 6 different surplus powders and the canister data mentioned to be used should be observed and I would start lower...

By the way, the 26.1 grain charge would fill the case to the bottom of the neck and a 62 grain bullet, depending on seating depth, would likely compress that powder charge. I would be very careful with that data, especially if your lot of WC-844 is faster than my lot. If your lot is indeed the “same” as H-335, you may be over 65K psi…

Good-luck…BCB
    Last edited by BCB; 04-20-2017 at 08:21 AM.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    My lot (#726) of WC-844 is considerably slower that H-335…

I’ve used it in the 222 Remington, 223 Remington, 6.8mm SPC, 7-30 Waters, 30-30 Winchester, 30-40 Krag, and the 308 Winchester with equal charges of WC-844 and H-335 and the same bullets either jacketed or cast, and the WC-844 produces very noticeably less velocity…

It produced good accuracy in the 223 Remington, the 30-30 Winchester, and the 7-30 Waters. Accuracy in the other cartridges was not acceptable at all…

None of these firearms are semi’s so I don’t know how it would act with those types…

With surplus powders, lot numbers are definitely a thing that must be observed, and chronographs are a must, in my opinion. And they should be tested side by side with equal charges of the recommended powder data (a known canister powder with published data) indicated to be used for the surplus powders. I presently have 6 different surplus powders and the canister data mentioned to be used should be observed and I would start lower...

By the way, the 26.1 grain charge would fill the case to the bottom of the neck and a 62 grain bullet, depending on seating depth, would likely compress that powder charge. I would be very careful with that data, especially if your lot of WC-844 is faster than my lot. If your lot is indeed the “same” as H-335, you may be over 65K psi…

Good-luck…BCB

first i need to chrono the 25 gr batch. the way i read it the 26.1 is for tracer not ball ammo. at 25 gr i was seeing nothing wrong with the case heads when compared to the American Eagle, if anything my prepped cases were cleaner than the AE. as i said i got 2929 fps out of the 24.3 batch i loaded. seated them and OAL of an M855A1 round

6.8 SPC Fan

crayj

What lot number is your WC-844?...

I entered the data of 24.3 grains into QuickLoad using H-335 and it calculated 2953 fps which is close enough to the velocity you are getting. Your lot of WC-844 may be a bit faster than my lot?...

I am curious as to what you mean: “i was seeing nothing wrong with the case heads when compared to the American Eagle” What do you look for on the case head?...

Good-luck…BCB

68Forums.com lifer

i've got 32 pounds in 8 pound jugs lot number 813W14, and the jug i'm using now is lot number 1098-0714. when i spoke of the case heads i meant i saw no over pressure signs, there is a slight flattening of the primers but is consistent with the AE factory loads, i look for scrapes and all the other photo evidence posted here in various threads, i'm using once fired LC brass and 64 gr gold dots
    Last edited by crayj; 04-20-2017 at 02:59 PM.

6.8 SPC Fan

Quote Originally Posted by crayj View Post
    i've got 32 pounds in 8 pound jugs lot number 813W14, and the jug i'm using now is lot number 1098-0714. when i spoke of the case heads i meant i saw no over pressure signs, there is a slight flattening of the primers but is consistent with the AE factory loads, i look for scrapes and all the other photo evidence posted here in various threads, i'm using once fired LC brass and 64 gr gold dots

O.K.

Did you measure the expansion of the factory rounds at the web (expansion ring)? That will give you a better idea of pressure in relation to factory ammo…

Those lot numbers I am not aware of…

And what brand is the 64 grain Gold Dot? I see Gold Dot by Speer, but not in rifle cartridges. Am I missing it?...

Good-luck…BCB

68Forums.com lifer

beyond it fitting in the case holder i haven't checked for expansion, i wanted to chrono them first. all the 844 i have came from American Reloading. the gold dots came from NE reloading and they claim they are LEO/FBI pulls and dredging from memory they are speer bullets. i think PSA has some of the ammo for sale