6.8 SPC Forums banner

AR-9 PSA upper complaint

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  shrxfn 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
How come for the frigging love of god PSA can't use the pistol standard thread pattern of 1/2x28 on their frigging 9mm uppers.

I got all excited the other day to break out the AR9 and shoot some rounds through the Octane 45. I put the 1/2x28 piston in that I use for my M&P9 and then as the excitement mounts I pull off the flash hider on the AR9 and go to attach the Octane and it gets one thread on and hangs up. I say WTF and try again even going counter clockwise until I feel the threads seat and try clockwise to tighten and still it locks. Still cussing to myself I take a look at the threads on the barrel and see they look close to machine thread type. I look at the piston and notice they are a coarser thread type. I go to PSA's website and look at the specs and see frigging 1/2x36 threaded barrel. So now begins the search for the right piston that will not break the bank. I finally find one and get it shipped and of course the $70 piston winds up costing me ~$140 because now I found a new pistol grip and some vertical foregrips for the SBRs. SOAB!!!

******** you PSA and your different barrel threads for a AR9. Still haven't shot many rounds through the upper was waiting on SBR and suppressor for that.

On a side note if anyone reads this far has anyone had an issue using the aluminum cased 9mm in the PSA upper?

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
There it is! The correct answer. It's a safety thing done so some duffus doesn't screw a 1/2X28 223 muzzle device on a 9mm. M&P obviously isn't too concerned about that. Duh, OOPS!:a43:

Believe it or not, some 6.8 barrel manufacturers do the same. Rather than use 5/8X24 they use 1/2X36, for the same stated reason, especially on pencil profile barrels.

#4 ·
I built my 9mm pistol using a Ballistic Advantage barrel. They offered it in either 1/2x36 or 1/2x28. I chose the 1/2x36 because there were virtually no flash suppressors available with a hole big enough for 9mm to pass through in 1/2x28 since that is a common size for 5.56 and rimfire. 5/8x24 is more common for 30 caliber but still not big enough for 9mm which is roughly 35 caliber. Not sure what you mean when you say pistol thread.

#7 ·
Maybe should title thread PSA AR9 frustration for my assuming most thread sizes for suppressors would be more standardized....

Better? Was just venting not really meaning to bash. Maybe should have been funnier in my post. Thought the bit about cost of new piston would have been a hint but instead of being subtle I should have broke out Lucille(walking dead reference for those without TVs) to make my point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.