Annealing cases
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Annealing cases

68Forums.com lifer

Default Annealing cases

There has been a new to me method for annealing brass that is pretty inexpensive.
    I took the plunge and bought the Bench Source unit and love it but just wanted to pass this alternate method of case annealing by open flame or induction which both methods work well. This new method should help get the issues worked out for those of you that are shy about annealing your cases.

Just wait till next season!

6.8 SPC Lover

That looks pretty easy. I'm going to try it the old school way with a torch in a dark room in water pretty soon. Never annealed before but if it extends the life of my brass might as well. Might end up getting a system like that once I get set up casting.

68Forums.com lifer

There is a detailed post over at the 65 forum that gives specs and details about doing the molten salt bath for annealing. You should be able to do the whole ball of wax for under $120.
    5 seconds at 500C is all it takes

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by ATEXAN View Post
    That looks pretty easy. I'm going to try it the old school way with a torch in a dark room in water pretty soon. Never annealed before but if it extends the life of my brass might as well. Might end up getting a system like that once I get set up casting.
    Don't heat brass until it glows, you'll ruin it. Either use this salt bath technique or if you use a torch you should use tempilac paint to set up the torch.

6.8 SPC Lover

Or you could just use a candle. Hold the brass midway and drop it on a wet towel when it's too hot to hold. Doesn't take long.

6.8 SPC Lover

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    Or you could just use a candle. Hold the brass midway and drop it on a wet towel when it's too hot to hold. Doesn't take long.
    Does it actually get hot enough to anneal it that way?

68Forums.com lifer

If the brass glows and the flame changes color you ruined the case. Salt Bath annealing is pretty much fool proof as long as you are not dipping the case in beyond the neck and just past the shoulder shoulder. I would not go with the candle process as I doubt the flame is hot enough to get the job done properly without the heat traveling too far. If you are going to use open flame then you need to use Tempilaq to ensure that you reach your temp but not go over. We use two temps for welding inspections on structural steel. A preheat level and then a max temp level to shut down welding if the steel is getting too hot.
    I am going to do the salt bath system for my 6.5 CM brass as I already have the Bench Source set up and timed for my 6.8 cases. I have over 15K 6.8 cases vs 1K 6.5 cases. Time to test the Molten Salt Bath method.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGrumpy View Post
    If the brass glows and the flame changes color you ruined the case. Salt Bath annealing is pretty much fool proof as long as you are not dipping the case in beyond the neck and just past the shoulder shoulder. I would not go with the candle process as I doubt the flame is hot enough to get the job done properly without the heat traveling too far. If you are going to use open flame then you need to use Tempilaq to ensure that you reach your temp but not go over. We use two temps for welding inspections on structural steel. A preheat level and then a max temp level to shut down welding if the steel is getting too hot.
    I am going to do the salt bath system for my 6.5 CM brass as I already have the Bench Source set up and timed for my 6.8 cases. I have over 15K 6.8 cases vs 1K 6.5 cases. Time to test the Molten Salt Bath method.

Holy crap, I thought you only had the 200 Lapua in Creedmoor

6.8 SPC Lover

Capt, did you buy it as a kit or peace it together? $$$$ ?? ,,,, looks interesting ..

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by wintys View Post
    Capt, did you buy it as a kit or peace it together? $$$$ ?? ,,,, looks interesting ..
    Melting pot was $44 delivered to my door via Amazon.
    The salts are $4 a pound and 2 pounds should be plenty for quite a while but I bout 5 and shipping is $16
    you can get a Centech #37772 that comes with the temperature probe at Harbor Freight for $24 and you can make the holder for about $10 or less or buy the guy's one from the video for $25.
    I will use the metronome app on my cell phone to do the timing or get a cheap one on Amazon for about $10 https://www.amazon.com/Instrument-Me...ords=metronome