Annealing cases - Page 3
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Annealing cases

6.8 SPC Fan

Quote Originally Posted by eastern_hunter View Post
    A friend and I are knife makers. We built a pair of salt pots for use in heat treating materials to >2000F and then at 500F or so. While this endeavor is not as extreme as the one we used for a number of years, there is one caution that NEEDS to be passed along.

Anything put is a salt pot at temperatures even as low as 500F MUST be completely dry!!!! At that temp water will flash to steam. Even a little can cause the hot salt to be splashed about. Molten salt at temps as low as 500F does TERRIBLE things to people it lands on!!!!!

Be VERY, VERY, VERY, careful!!!!!

(At higher temperature molten used for metal heat treating salt glows and has a viscosity lower than water and a low surface tension ... is the scariest material I have ever seen and I am a retired Ph.D. chemist!)
    Good information, thanks for sharing. Sounds like personal safety equipment would be highly recommended.

6.8 SPC Fan

thanks for sharing, neat process

68Forums.com Team Member

You can also dry them in the oven quickly. Set it to Warm for about 20 minutes, put the brass in on a plate and wait for another 5 minutes, then turn off the oven. The residual heat will evaporate the moisture quickly. If you don't have a Warm setting, set it at 200 deg, same steps.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    ISRA Member
    US Navy Combat Vet 1970-1974

When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty. Thomas Jefferson
    Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! Barry Goldwater

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Lover

Quote Originally Posted by rifter View Post
    You can also dry them in the oven quickly. Set it to Warm for about 20 minutes, put the brass in on a plate and wait for another 5 minutes, then turn off the oven. The residual heat will evaporate the moisture quickly. If you don't have a Warm setting, set it at 200 deg, same steps.
    Done it that way a few times. The wife gave me a weird look when she came home one day and I told her not to turn the oven on that I have brass drying

68Forums.com lifer

OK. I ran my first batch today after building the case holder.I plugged my Lee melting pot in after loading it with the salts and ran it on hi for about 15minutes and it was at full temp (580C) in 20 so I turned it down until I got it balanced at 505C and began my batch of 100. It was easy as pie. It took me less than 15 minutes to get through the batch with a few interruptions. This process is as easy as the video makes it out to be. No adjusting flames and no worries about destroying brass by getting too hot. I ordered the Redding Competition Match die set and will be watching the lifespan of my brass to see where improvements can be made.
    Hidden Content

Just wait till next season!

6.8 SPC Fan

Very good to hear, I'm at 4 to 5 loads on my brass, so this couldn't have timed out any better. Thanks for the heads up Grumpy.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by eastern_hunter View Post
    A friend and I are knife makers. We built a pair of salt pots for use in heat treating materials to >2000F and then at 500F or so. While this endeavor is not as extreme as the one we used for a number of years, there is one caution that NEEDS to be passed along.

Anything put is a salt pot at temperatures even as low as 500F MUST be completely dry!!!! At that temp water will flash to steam. Even a little can cause the hot salt to be splashed about. Molten salt at temps as low as 500F does TERRIBLE things to people it lands on!!!!!

Be VERY, VERY, VERY, careful!!!!!

(At higher temperature molten used for metal heat treating salt glows and has a viscosity lower than water and a low surface tension ... is the scariest material I have ever seen and I am a retired Ph.D. chemist!)
    Since you are a chemist this is the perfect question for you. Is this the same Salt Bath crystals that a lot brilliant kids are smoking, and having their brains turned into pudding? Just looking at it before it is melted the first time sure looks like it to me. With this being said, should we be talking about what kind of respirators someone might consider using, or at the very least this process should be done out side, and we should stand up wind of the pot?

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Firearrow View Post
    Since you are a chemist this is the perfect question for you. Is this the same Salt Bath crystals that a lot brilliant kids are smoking, and having their brains turned into pudding? Just looking at it before it is melted the first time sure looks like it to me. With this being said, should we be talking about what kind of respirators someone might consider using, or at the very least this process should be done out side, and we should stand up wind of the pot?
    From the salt page at http://ballisticrecreation.ca

NOTE: If heated above 590°C this salt will begin to decompose, releasing hazardous nitrogen oxide fumes . At higher temperatures the salt becomes a powerful oxidizer that may cause spontaneous and violent ignition of flammable materials including wood, wax, oil, plastics, and light metals. Use only in a well ventilated area. If at any point in your annealing session the pot begins to make a sound like a boiling kettle, emits visible fumes, or the salt begins to develop a yellow color you are running the pot too hot. I do not recommend using this salt without a temperature measurement device that is known to be accurate in the range of 300°-600°C.

My pot jumped quickly from 500C to 580C and that is when I shut down the heat from hi to 6 to let it cool and settle and started slowly raising it till it sat steady at 505C. I have an exhaust fan & vent in my garage that I run with the door open for fresh so fumes are a non issue plus when idiots smoke this sh!t they are taking in a much more concentrated amount of fumes/smoke. Outside on my patio is where I will be doing most of my annealing during good weather anyway as I enjoy being outdoors. I put an exhaust fan over my bench for a reason and this is one of them.
    Hidden Content

68Forums.com lifer

I'm glade you knew about this because I would really not like to have to respond to your house from exposure to this stuff, and say "hay I know this guy". Didn't want anyone's brain turning into pudding.
    Last edited by Firearrow; 04-21-2017 at 11:18 AM.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Firearrow View Post
    Didn't want anyone's brain turning into pudding.
    Too late here!
    Hidden Content