Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Thread: New Member

Default New Member

Hello,

I am new to Ar platforms and have settled on 6.8 for a build. I am not new to shooting just decided it was time to hop on the Ar bandwagon. I have not yet fully decided on what parts I will be using so I figured I would turn here and see what works well and what doesn't.

Here is the direction I am thinking-

Barrel- Bison Armory 20" SPR or Wilson Combat 18" Recon Tactical Match Grade. Both seem to have great reviews and are close to the same price.

Trigger- RA-140-SST This is a really affordable trigger that seems to have great reviews so I was planning on using it.

Bolt- Not sure what to get for a bolt. Not looking to pay $300 for one though.

Gas tubing- I know very little about how the gas tubing size and height of block will affect function of rifle

These parts seem to be some of the more expensive and accuracy dependent parts and so I thought I would get some input before I buy any of them. Please add any comments that are relevant to building a 6.8SPC.

Not looking to do any company bashing, but feel free to comment on companies that are good and not so good, both in regards to quality and customer service.

Thanks for the help!

Junojet

68Forums.com lifer

Welcome! Both of your barrel choices are good, but look into ARPerformance barrels also. Their barrels are extremely accurate, and they're a forum sponsor too. ARP customer service is second to none, and the owner, Harrison, is very active here.
    "Stupid is as stupid does"---Forrest Gump

Quote Originally Posted by 303 HUNTER View Post
    Welcome! Both of your barrel choices are good, but look into ARPerformance barrels also. Their barrels are extremely accurate, and they're a forum sponsor too. ARP customer service is second to none, and the owner, Harrison, is very active here.
    Thanks for the info. I actually was looking into them yesterday and found it interesting they have a 5 groove barrel and not a 4. It sounded like they shoot faster and are accurate, but are there any cons to having a 5 groove barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Junojet View Post
    Thanks for the info. I actually was looking into them yesterday and found it interesting they have a 5 groove barrel and not a 4. It sounded like they shoot faster and are accurate, but are there any cons to having a 5 groove barrel?

If there were cons to having a 5 groove barrel, ARP wouldn't be making them. Harrison has done more for the 6.8 in terms of accuracy with barrels and chamber design than anyone in the business. Besides that; a melonite treated barrel is faster and will last longer than stainless.

6.8 SPC Fan

I have all three "makes" of barrels and you cannot beat the value that AR Performance has for both barrels and bolts. Highest quality, incredible accuracy, and not overpriced. He (constructor) is also ultra responsive to your questions and needs.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Junojet View Post

My 16" ARP 5R barrel is 50 fps faster than my 16" Bison 1-11, and 40 fps faster than my 18" PSA 1-11 barrel, all with the same load. Accuracy from the ARP and Bison is comparable, both are sub- moa. The PSA is around 1 1/2"
    "Stupid is as stupid does"---Forrest Gump

Thanks for all the great information. I will hopefully start getting some parts ordered this week.

6.8 SPC Fan

If you chose ARP I suggest you buy their BCG, that way you know the headspacing is correct. An alternative way would be to check out Ironworks Tactical for a complete upper. They are an industry partner of 68forums and use ARP barrels.

6.8 Member

Welcome
    I have a few ra140's, great for the money.

Imo a gas tube is a gas tube, as long as the ports line up and are of the correct size.