6.8 SPC Forums banner

Building first .223 Wylde AR

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  halfbreed83 
#1 ·
This forum has been fantastic. Just when I say to myself, "Self, you have enough rifles, they all "serve a purpose" and you are completely content." Then I get some money in that damn PayPal account, someone wants to download some stuff on the EE, and all I need is a gas tube to justify a whole new rifle build. Outside of S&B FMJs, it financially hurts to shoot 6.8 at the range. In my head it will always be $1.00 per trigger pull even if I sell my brass and get good deals. The 223 stuff is so cheap and good quality, that I've wanted a Wylde build thinking I could turn it into a 3 Gun rifle and have some fun at the range without seeing copper dollars fly from the muzzle.
+1 sreyemj, he was great to deal with.
Here is the base receiver set I bought from him after getting it Cerakote in Burnt Bronze. It turned out real nice and I love the F93 stock. It is a nice piece of kit. I grabbed an 18" ARP 3R .223 Wylde barrel and bolt and as soon as my YM Light National Match carrier and adjustable gas block arrive, it will go to the range. All in it will be $1150, that includes the Cerakote and FFL transfer. I think for the money it is going to be an incredible value in terms of accuracy, handling, and durability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
This is an interesting pic. The Anderson Manufacturing lower receiver seems incredibly solid so I took a picture of how it compares to other receivers. From Left to Right... Mega Billet, Anderson Closed Trigger, LWRC M6A3, Rainier Arms Forged, Aero Precision Forged. You can see the differences in thickness! The thickness adds weight and maybe not needed but it makes the platform seem so much more solid than the Rainier Arms receiver by subjective comparison. I think these Anderson lowers can be bought for $50...seems too good. I've read there are some issues with the Anderson lowers and grip screws interfering with the fire control group but I don't seem to have it with this one. Also, as sreyemj described, it is incredibly tight fitting to the upper. Almost too tight! Really happy with it and can't wait to shoot it.

#4 ·
I feel your pain. I have four ARP barrels waiting on me to build (one of 'em a .223 Wylde 5R). Congrats on the newest rendition.

#12 ·
Finally got the proprietary barrel nut wrench ($5) from ALG and a Y/M NM Bolt Carrier to house my ARP bolt. Put everything together last night with loctite and mounted my Leupold 1.25-4 scope. Need a range trip to zero and work this barrel out!

#16 ·
First range trip with this ARP barrel to zero and work it out a little. Found out a couple of things:
Shoots the Speer Gold Dot 62gr sub MOA and cycles it beautifully with very little kick or movement off target.
I couldn't get the 75gr HPBT to cycle consistently, even with an adjustable gas block. I tried Hornandy Match 75gr HPBT and the Stand 1 Armory version. Both wouldn't cycle well or could I get better than MOA with them.
I even opened up the gas block all of the way and it wouldn't lock back the BCG on 1 round. I have some 69gr SMK en route and will take those to the range next and post some pics.
Overall, it's a sweet shooter and I am really happy with it.

Also...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.