Most versatile AR15 caliber poll
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Poll: Most versatile AR15 caliber?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    68Forums.com Industry Partner

Default Most versatile AR15 caliber poll

What do you think is the most versatile caliber, not specific cartridge. Why do you choose that caliber? Also which base cartridge(case) do you think is better and why?

I know ...lots of different uses. It's multiple choice.
    I'll start off saying I think the 6mm is because it'll kill paper, small varmints like pdogs, larger varmints, yotes and other predators and deer and hogs and IMO that is the range most hunt.
    Case, the 6.8 case as a base because I think the Grendel size case is too large for the bolt and mags.

Yes I made a mistake .223" should have been .224"
    Last edited by constructor; 04-08-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    AR Performance 6.8 SPC, 5.56 & Grendel barrels.
    complete uppers-

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    What do you think is the most versatile caliber, not specific cartridge. Why do you choose that caliber? Also which base cartridge(case) do you think is better and why?

I know ...lots of different uses. It's multiple choice.
    I'll start off saying I think the 6mm is because it'll kill paper, small varmints like pdogs, larger varmints, yotes and other predators and deer and hogs and IMO that is the range most hunt.
    Case, the 6.8 case as a base because I think the Grendel size case is too large for the bolt and mags.

Yes I made a mistake .223" should have been .224"
    Looks like it says .224 to me

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Quote Originally Posted by semi_cop View Post
    Looks like it says .224 to me
    sneaky aren't ya
    AR Performance 6.8 SPC, 5.56 & Grendel barrels.
    complete uppers-

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    sneaky aren't ya
    Naa, just helping a brother out.

I'm with you on the 6mm. .243 has long been one of my favorites. I looked at the 6x45 several years ago before deciding on the 6.8 but I passed because it goes against my sense of logic. I don't care for cats that are necked up, only down. Just don't seem right to me.
    01 FFL, NRA, GOA, NAGR
    "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."
    ~Elmer Davis

68Forums.com lifer

I agree with woodstock.
    6mm does everything the 224 does and more in a very simple portfolio.
    You have varmint bullets, match and some pretty decent assortment of hunting where the
    223 might fall on the light side for hogs and larger deer.
    The 257 is a nice one but the bullet assortment is too small and somewhat exclusive. Ballistically talking
    doesn't do anything to differentiate/outperform from the 6mm and then there you have amazing bullet choices.
    I think anything larger than the 277-7mm is hard to get more performance in the small AR.
    Only when you hit the 35 caliber start to see some other possibilities.
    The 30 and 338 calibers do not make much sense on the small AR.
    I don't think it is a matter of opinion. If we study options pragmatically, physics dictate what happens with the limited real state.
    The gene pool could use a little chlorine!

Think like a bullet sm

New to the 6.8

I voted 308 thinking this was an all inclusive large/small frame question before reading the OP's comments. So scratch 1 from the 308 tally.

I don't have much experience with most of these rounds out of a small frame AR15. I use a CZ527 22 hornet for ground hogs and coyotes, I would not swap to an AR unless I moved to a different part of the country with different varmints. I'm really impressed with .277 out of the 6.8 so far, and glad I recently built the rifle. But most versatile in the manner the op is talking maybe not.

Voted to quick. I was thinking shooting game from hogs to elk, or target shooting out to 1000 yards, along with being reliable out of any size AR. 6.5 would be the answer if it was a bolt gun, but seems to suffer more reliability issues in the large ar platforms versus 308. So that's why I chose 308 initially thinking 308 Winchester, and not 300 BO.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stmarine View Post
    I don't think it is a matter of opinion.
    For the record, I did vote 6mm. I agree that 6mm in an AR15 platform covers most of the bases very well. The ability to run a variety of bullet designs in a wide array of weights, to me, makes the 6mm the clear choice.

However, some may include the ability to run subsonic as criteria in their decision. In this case, your choice begins in the .277+ range. Many apparently consider the versatility of subsonic performance high on their list (based on the sales of the 300BLK).

So while I agree with your vote, I think it actually is a matter of the user's definition of versatility.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RIGGS68 View Post
    For the record, I did vote 6mm. I agree that 6mm in an AR15 platform covers most of the bases very well. The ability to run a variety of bullet designs in a wide array of weights, to me, makes the 6mm the clear choice.

However, some may include the ability to run subsonic as criteria in their decision. In this case, your choice begins in the .277+ range. Many apparently consider the versatility of subsonic performance high on their list (based on the sales of the 300BLK).

So while I agree with your vote, I think it actually is a matter of the user's definition of versatility.
    I understand, and of course if someone has a truck load of cheap 30 caliber bullets one might look into an envelope to use those.
    There are much better choices than the whisper out of the same case or others though.
    Because normally dirt cheap 30 caliber bullets are not the ones that will show any decent behavior when striking at subsonic speeds
    and some that perform well at that with heavy grain will be expensive.
    That is why the 35 caliber makes a lot more sense in that case if one wants to keep things simple using pistol bullets for both rifle and
    pistol use. This is why I said things start to look better again with 35 and up.
    Even for someone starting and wanting to consolidate in that space it is a worth looking at. This was the main reasoning when I built
    the 35 gunner.
    There is nothing wrong wiht going with mainstream but I am thinking an easy wildcat is something should not be discarded so quickly.
    After all some offer clear distinctive advantages for many uses. I think that is what H wants to do here to identify what appeals more
    to people.
    The gene pool could use a little chlorine!

Think like a bullet sm

Quote Originally Posted by 1stmarine View Post
    There is nothing wrong wiht going with mainstream but I am thinking an easy wildcat is something should not be discarded so quickly.
    After all some offer clear distinctive advantages for many uses. I think that is what H wants to do here to identify what appeals more
    to people.

I agree....My first AR was a 6.8 (built with ARP components-of course). When Nosler purchased SSA and brass was unobtainium for such a long period I looked at other options. Since I already had .277 components, I naturally gravitated to the Wolverine. ( I did dabble with the 300 but was overall unimpressed) Well, after taking a variety of game with it, I felt the economy of the 277WLV outweighed the extra performance available from the 6.8. I still have the 6.8 and if I am shooting at longer ranges it still gets the nod.
    So why then did I vote 6mm? I have no "current" plans to purchase a suppressor so subs have no appeal to me, most of my hunting is under 250 yards, I have 2 repaired shoulders and can't take the recoil, and I can pitch 55 grainers downrange all day for nearly the same price as .223 ammo. I enjoy reading your posts regarding the attributes of the 6x45 and the benefits of loading long so I am currently building a 6mm Mongoose to cure my 6mm itch.