6.8 SPC Forums banner

6.5 creedmoor vs .243 win

7K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  walt214 
#1 · (Edited)
This rifle is going to be for predator and hog hunting where 600+ yd shots present themselves. My buddy that is looking has a .308 but wants a flatter shooting round out of a 22in barreled ar. He does not reload so it has to be with readily available factory ammo. I initially thought .260 rem but factory ammo is more scarce. Then I thought .243 win because predator hunting is the main use but he also enters into hog tournaments and wants to use one rifle for both. So is the 6.5 creedmoor the best do all ar with a 22in or shorter barrel? Also which is the flattest shooting ar with a 20 or 22in barrel out to 600yds?

#2 · (Edited)
243 is flatter than 6.5 Cm---but due to the case design, the CM can use the heavier weight/higher BC bullets ---I would look at what ammo is available and go from there, both would be OK to use (though I personally think that neither would be ideal energy levels for 600+ yard shots on hog)--- you might consider the 7-08 also

another thing to rememeber is going to be the challange of bucking wind--- higher weight/higher BC bullets will do better with the wind at those distances

for 600+ shots the 2 most most critical factors are going to be the accuracy potential of the gun and practice

#3 ·
The long shots will be for predator hunting. Hogs are a little easier to get close to. I agree that the energy levels and velocity would be to low for long shots on hogs. Basically over 600yds the 6.5 is going to buck the wind better.

#4 ·
There are a lot of factory ammo choices for 6.5 and the Hornady 147 ELD perform well in my 24" bolt gun. I'm not an expert on 6.5 but from the research I've done before buying my bolt gun, I wouldnt use no less than a 22" barrel on 6.5 for shooting long distance. This is my first 6.5 and have been pretty impressed with it so far and it is really quiet shooting suppressed.

#5 · (Edited)
if he is only going to shoot coyotes at long range than either one is adequate, the 243 has the option of some really lightweight varmint bullets though, but they can be barrel burners at their speeds -- if he is going to try to shoot larger game at 600 yards then the 6.5 will be a better choice

#13 ·
I would go with a Savage. It has a 24" barrel but I bought the BA Stealth in Creedmoor shot a 5 shot group today that a dime would almost cover with factory ammo. I paid $932 shipped and transferred to my FFL and it will ring steel at 1000 yards with factory ammo.

Just saw he wants it in AR platform.

#14 ·
Look at the Tikka T3 CTR. It's nice and compact and has an adjustable trigger, not one of those "accutrigger" gismos!! Mine shoots great out to 600 yds with factory or handloads. I used the Hornady 129 SST to take three deer with this past hunting season and have been using 140's for steel at the range.

Sorry, I too just saw he wants an AR platform...

#16 ·
The 243 is a fine cartridge that has been handicapped by too slow a rifling twist in almost all off-the-shelf rifles. Most have 1/10 barrels, with a few in the 9's. Neither will properly stabilize long bullets like the various 107 grain offerings. Further, most rifles come with magazines too short to properly utilize the long range bullets. The 243 really shines with shorter varmint bullets.

Personally, I would opt for a AR-10 or similar platform in 6.5mm Creedmoor or 6mm Creedmoor, if barreled with a 1/8 twist. I'm not sure if any have hit the LGS's yet, but I'm sure they're in the works.

FYI, 6mm Creedmoor is becoming the contender with the long range professionals in bolt guns.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.