6.8 SPC Forums banner

30 HRT barrel maker

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  wildfowler 
#1 ·
Where can we purchase 30 HRT AR barrels?

#3 ·
BHW has a similar round--- the 30 american---- here is a post from another forum regarding the 30 american
It is essentially the same as Teppo Jutsu's .30 HRT which has been out for 5-10 years, in fact, they both use .30 Herrett dies to make the cases but the American .30 is a bit longer (about .041 longer so the die has to be spaced off the shellholder a hair whereas the HRT uses the die in firm contact with the shellholder), therefore, not as compatible with heavy bullets for subsonic use if you want them to fit in the magazine. The shorter HRT case will allow heavier bullets to be used so you don't have to seat past the full diameter portion of the bullet and they both give the same velocities. Case volume difference is only about a grain or two more for the American 30 over the HRT and that is not of much consequence.
The .30 HRT, and by virtue of the American 30 being a knockoff of it (saying it is a knockoff is not a slam, just a fact-or a case of convergent evolution-just as the HRT is a knockoff of the .30 Herrett, it even uses the name Herrett in its name, Herrett Rimless Tactical) is an excellent round and can drive a 110 gr. bullet to over 2800 fps. It will be just as an outstanding round as the .30 HRT is but you may have a little more trouble using longer and heavier bullets in the American .30 especially if they have a long tapered point like the A-Max.

#4 · (Edited)
You probably can get Thomas at Paladin Machine Shop Service, tp555(at)windstream.net, to make you one. You supply the blank of your choice and barrel extension and he will do the rest to your specs. I have a 16 and a 24 inch and with a 110 gr Barnes TTSX and N200 powder I get a good bit over 2800 fps in the 16" and a hair over 3000 fps in the 24 inch. I have the data posted here.

The 16" is a rechambered Wilson Combat 7.62 x 40 (DO NOT USE A 7.62 x40 as a host barrel, the chamber will not clean up and was a royal PITA for Thomas to make it work, use a .300 BO if using a prechambered barrel) and the 24" is a BHW blank. They quit selling blanks for a long time but I don't know if they do now or not. I can't do crap on their web site from my tablet so I don't know beans about what they sell now.

#6 · (Edited)
What about the black out faster twist ratet? Is that suitable for the HRT? Any big deal? Does anyone think that would require a reduction in load level?

Reason I'm asking is that I am thinking about converting my 300 black bolt action into an HRT. Can a melanite chamber be recut into a new caliber?

Thanks

#7 ·
What about the black out faster twist ratet? Is that suitable for the HRT? Any big deal? Does anyone think that would require a reduction in load level?

Reason I'm asking is that I am thinking about converting my 300 black bolt action into an HRT. Can a melanite chamber be recut into a new caliber?

Thanks
I doubt the twist rate would matter. Personally, unless you are shooting VERY long range, I think talk about over stabilizing a bullet is just a bunch of mental masterbation. I've shot a lot of bullets that were 'over stabilized' and have never had a problem with accuracy out to 500 yards, which is the limit of where I can shoot. UNDER stabilizing is another story.

I have no idea about rechambering a barrel with a melonite chamber. Check with Thomas or your smith on that.

#8 ·
I have two 30 herrett contender barrels. One is an original 1 in 14 twist and the other is 1 in 10 twist. I need to reduce powder charge for the 1 in 10 twist. It will also shoot heavier bullets than the 14 twist accurately. There really is no need going faster than the 10 twist. I would even guess the common 7 or 8 twist of the rechambered BO would require a LITTLE more reduction although probably irrelevant for performance. I looked for a 1 in 10 BO to do a chamber conversion to herrett and didn't find one. Would like to hear from somebody that has a 1 in 7 or 8 twist herrett AR.

#9 ·
Yes, I was more concerned with whether it could handle the same load from a pressure standpoint? I was thinking it would probably require a reduction. I know the 125 grain bullet itself is accurate enough out of my 300 blackout now so I don't see why the accuracy would change necessarily.

Thanks.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.