Kimber 1911 9mm - work in progress
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    68Forums.com Industry Partner

Default Kimber 1911 9mm - work in progress

Started a Stainless Kimber 9mm project for a customer. First on the list of things to do was add a Stainless KKM gunsmith fit ramped barrel.

Below is the side by side of the old and new.

First step was to measure the hood width and machine it to the proper width while still ensuring proper positioning of the barrel.

Brett

Affiliates!

Once the width is proper then the hood length is cut to fit. This process is more in depth because it has to do with a solid top lug lock up. is machined close and then fit by hand using files. I want a tight top lug lock up.

I don't normally blacken the hood but this allowed me to take a pic and show what I'm doing. I put the barrel in and find the high spots and file them down until the barrel will lock into place properly.

Hood and top lugs properly fit. Results was a solid lock up with .045" of engagement on the top lugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sfsmedic; 03-20-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    Brett

Affiliates!

I could have gone with the lower lug fitting or the bushing next. Went the route of the bushing. This was an oversized straight bushing. So once the ID of the slide and OD of the barrel was measured to the .001", I got to work on the lathe.

Brett

Affiliates!

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

A properly fit bushing requires a wrench to remove it as the fit is very tight. After this step was done I check for barrel spring and ensure there is none as that will create vertical stringing shots. If there is any it's addressed. None was present.

Brett

Affiliates!

Like everything the lower lugs were cut on machining equipment for a precision lockup. Accuracy and reliability are our goal and that can only be accomplished this way.

After all measurements were take the lower lugs were cut and fit to the pin OD in the gun creating a solid lock up. Since this is a range gun and not a competition gun I went with a good lock up and not one that is overly tight.

This is NOT the 9mm barrel, I forgot to take pics so I'm using these to show how this task is performed by me.

Brett

Affiliates!

Once the barrel was fitted the proper link selected and then on to ensure the timing is correct and lastly chamber the barrel. This was an unchambered barrel.

After measuring everything the correct link was used, ensuring limited stress and no lockup was achieved on the link itself. The lock up should all be on the lugs and slide stop pin.

Impact was determined to be off the link and resting solely on the lugs against the VIS of the frame. That's perfect. One problem, the timing as off significantly and the barrel couldn't down link enough to unlock the lugs. So time to do more machining.

After several installs and returns to the mill and back into the gun the timing was correct and the chamber was cut.

The only thing left is to address the barrel ramps orientation to the frame. By moving the lug to VIS contact point back the ramp has to be moved forward. I'll do that once I start on the reliability package.

Brett

Affiliates!

Reliability package completed today. This 1911 now reliably eats ball, truncated lead and hollow points without issue.

Breach face was blueprinted and if undersized it would have been machined properly. Polished breach face and disco track, chamfered firing pin hole, broke any sharp edges that could interfere with feeding and extraction, tuned the extractor and ejector. The barrel ramp was cut and pushed back to allow better feeding (see above post), chamber was cut and ramp and chamber polished.

Brett

Affiliates!

On to cosmetic work. This gun will receive internal flush cut slide stop pin, slide lightening, flat top and serrated slide, beveled lower edge of the slide and bevel carry package.

Started with the flush cut slide stop pin.

Started with turning the slide stop down in the lathe and then moved to chamfering the frame hole.

When the other works done I'll clean up the machining marks and bead blast the entire gun.

Brett

Affiliates!

The rear of the slide didn't align perfect with the frame but it wasn't to bad. The extractor was very proud of the slide though and an eyesore so I did a quick blend on the back of the slide and frame for aesthetic purposes.

In progress pics

Ready to be bead blasted now.

Brett

Affiliates!

One step closer to being done with this job. Beveled the bottom of the slide and also performed a carry bevel package softening any sharp edges.

Next on the list, flat top and serrate and then the jobs done for this one.

Brett

Affiliates!