Gonna throw some things out there for opinions on 6.8 build
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gonna throw some things out there for opinions on 6.8 build

As for AR15s, I have them in 5.56, 308, 300BO, 7.62x39, 9mm and .45ACP. I wanted something else, not crazy expensive, so I did research on 6.8 and 6.5, I decided on 6.8 for a few reasons. It hits harder than 5.56 and weights less than 308. 6.5 Grendel performs better out of longer barrels and at distance. The 6.8 was designed as a shorter range round which I like. I do not and cannot shoot long range.

When I read about the SIX8 I said that's the one. I even handled one but did not get to shoot it. Well too much money, it's the way to go but only if you got the bucks or plan on keeping it as a go to gun. I get bored easy and like to change things up and around. So I figured I'll build one since me and my gunsmith friend have built so many already in various calibers 6.8 seems like the next step. He was skeptical but I convince him the bugs of the past have been worked out.

It seems most run without any major problems if you just like any firearm build stick to compatible and well made parts.

My plan is to get a ARP 16" barrel and one of their BCGs. It looks like they also have a bigger bolt head and matching barrel extension for it if you want. I might go in that direction. Right now they do not have a barrel in stock. And I am not crazy about the profile. I prefer a thicker barrel to be honest.

Or I can get the Wilson Combat 16" or 14.7" barrel. A NiB M16 carrier and a LWRC bolt. Those are the important parts, a mil-spec upper and BCM charging handle are all that's needed, some PRI 10rd & 25rd mags and go shooting. Use one of my other AR lowers for now.

So I have a few questions I would like to ask? Things that have not been answered in all of my readings about the round and how it works in an AR15. One question surrounds the muzzle device. From experience even though it fits the thread it doesn't mean it works well with that round. VG6 precision makes a 6.8 specific brake. I have a few VG6 brakes on my rifles and they work better than anything else I tried. On some of my 5.56mm I use the BCM gunfighter since a pure brake isn't really necessary on a light shooter. I like that the BCM works well as a brake, comp and hider on 5.56mm, didn't like it all that much on the others and the VG6 worked much better and louder unfortunately. Once you go up in recoil a true brake is good and their 308 and 300 BO works well, the 300 BO even works well on my CMMG Mutant. I do have a 308 BCM laying around, has anyone tried it on a 6.8? Has anyone tried the VG6 on their 6.8?

Next is ammo, is there a place that supports the 6.8 and has 6.8 ammo in quantity and choices at a good price. I usually go to SGA for my ammo, I'm in central Texas so they ship fast, have a good price and selection for most ammo needs. I see the well dried up for cheap XM68 but Sellier Bellot makes some good stuff and for hunting/self-defense Hornady and Federal are supporting 6.8 and there seems to be ammo available. Any other manufacturers out there? Especially for plinking, under $15 a box of 20? I have been checking ammo seek and everybody has the same stuff at varying prices. I forgot I also see SSA has some good ammo available also.

So I'll probably start the building of an upper once I get an idea of when ARP has those barrels in. Get some PRI and Barrett mags, a couple 100 rounds of various ammo and let er' rip.

Any input would be appreciated especially from personal experiences with those barrels and bolts as well as mags and ammo. Thanks.
    Last edited by bigdaddytexasguns; 03-19-2017 at 11:57 PM.

6.8 SPC Lover

If you like the heavier profile barrel you would probably prefer the ARP SOCOM profile, it is a little heavier and thicker. H says he should have those in about the same time as the 12.5s. Maybe May.
    NRA PATRON Life Member

A lie told loudly and often is still a lie.

"We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, They will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion." Joseph Smith

68Forums.com lifer

I'd wait on a ARP Socom or Scout, either one will shoot great. He has carriers, bolts and several muzzle devices also.

If you needed a barrel now, I'd go to Bison or WC.

As for ammo, you are on the right path for finding 6.8 with ammo seek. Some of those prices are below dealer costs. You might could talk to your local gun shops and see if they can add a few boxes of your choice to their next order.
    6.8X43 for hunting

01 FFL and NRA member

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

I think I'll wait for the ARP barrel.

As for local gun shops...they're a joke around here. You'd think a place like Ft. Hood in central Texas would have a lot but they don't. And worse are the so called gunsmiths here. The pawn shops ask above retail for used guns too. I was lucky and befriended a very good gunsmith here, great guy and competent smith.

I get most of my ammo online. The stores here are outrageously expensive. Walmart has the best prices, they just opened a Gander Mountain and it's parking lot is always empty. Academy is OK but their prices have risen and with tax they're too high. So like I said it's usually SGA in Oklahoma.

It looks like 6.8 is here to stay. It's a superior hunting round to the 5.56 and 300 BO, the 300 being better for suppressed operation. It's lighter than the 308 and many times the 308 is overkill. I don't hunt I just shoot and love guns.

I think initial problems were from poor chamber design and lack of proper mags. As long as the length of the round is within certain dimensions it seems to be fine. With upgraded bolts and good mags I don't see any issues. If the well dries up I can always change it to 5.56.

I never liked the 5.56 while in the army, the rounds worked better from 20" barrels though. The 6.8 looks like the perfect infantry round for modern warfare. Although the new M855A1 looks promising. A 6.8 version would be devastating and give the individual soldier and squad a huge advantage on a battlefield. I have humped an M60 it was heavy, although weight is a consideration knowing your weapon is better than anything anybody else has gives you confidence.

68Forums.com lifer

And if you do not reload, you can sell your brass pretty fast on this site if you're at $0.35 to $0.40 per brass shipped ($7-8 per box 20).

Quote Originally Posted by wxl View Post
    And if you do not reload, you can sell your brass pretty fast on this site if you're at $0.35 to $0.40 per brass shipped ($7-8 per box 20).
    Good idea thanks.

Default 6.8 ammo

Midway has 20 different kinds of loaded ammo depending on what you want to spend. I bought 50 110gr American Gunners for $46 and 50 90gr AE varmint and predator rounds for $40 but the gun won't cycle on those even with the block wide open. I havent found any cheap plinking ammo yet but I also have a .270 bolt gun so I have ample amounts of different bullets I can reload. Start with heavier bullets for break in and you wont have the same headaches I did.

Default cheap

why is the operative word always cheap there is a saying: you can have it timely, cheap, and or quality pick two, I usually just go with quality and leave the other two alone it may cost a bit more, but the time and money spent changing low quality and ill fitting parts out strips any of the savings, I know that money can be tight but the wife is always a factor and telling her that you need another 25 to 100 + bucks is not the answer, do it right the first time and you will always win.

Quote Originally Posted by macvrlamm View Post
    why is the operative word always cheap there is a saying: you can have it timely, cheap, and or quality pick two, I usually just go with quality and leave the other two alone it may cost a bit more, but the time and money spent changing low quality and ill fitting parts out strips any of the savings, I know that money can be tight but the wife is always a factor and telling her that you need another 25 to 100 + bucks is not the answer, do it right the first time and you will always win.
    Buy once, cry once.

I never buy cheap, I buy the best i can afford, that's usually what works for my needs. I'm not taking it to the field. But I want it to go bang and on target every time.

Noveske is overkill for me. I'll use what works, like Aero Precision receivers, ALG NiB triggers instead of Geissele, FN barrels and so on. Not the best but not cheap crap either. BCM stuff is not cheap, but not uber expensive either, it works, mil-spec is fine most times. Magpul stuff usually works and the price is always reasonable. You don't get anything by being a gear snob but less money for ammo and bragging rights at the range. I'd rather spend it on ammo and become a better shot.

68Forums.com Team Member

SGAmmo seems to have the best price on 6.8 ammo right now. I have a good bit of S&B and not had any problems with it in a couple of calibers.
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army
    Twice Retired

6.8 SPC the most versatile MSR Cartridge available in the AR 15 style firearms.