Barrel Accuracy issues - Page 2
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    68Forums.com lifer

FWIW, I've never been able to put 10 rounds of my 6.8 handloads into half an inch at 100 yds (approx. 1/2 MOA), even though others here (rifter, et al) definitely can. Its not the fault of the several barrels (WOA, BHW and ARP) I used, instead I attribute my performance to my home-building and handloading practices and my less than perfect shooting skills.

For some reason, I find the .223 round to be much more accurate, perhaps because the rifles are heavier and the recoil slightly lighter. I don't have any 10-round, 1/2 inch .223 targets yet, but I'm getting close. For my 6.8s, my standard of excellence is 10 rounds into 1.25" at 100 yards, more than good enough for hunting and defense purposes (an unlikely event in any case). It may be that the smaller the bore, the better the potential for extreme accuracy. I note that benchresters have long since settled on 6mm rounds for their game. - CW
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; - part of 14th Amendment to the US Constitution

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Quote Originally Posted by chasw View Post
    FWIW, I've never been able to put 10 rounds of my 6.8 handloads into half an inch at 100 yds (approx. 1/2 MOA), even though others here (rifter, et al) definitely can. Its not the fault of the several barrels (WOA, BHW and ARP) I used, instead I attribute my performance to my home-building and handloading practices and my less than perfect shooting skills.

For some reason, I find the .223 round to be much more accurate, perhaps because the rifles are heavier and the recoil slightly lighter. I don't have any 10-round, 1/2 inch .223 targets yet, but I'm getting close. For my 6.8s, my standard of excellence is 10 rounds into 1.25" at 100 yards, more than good enough for hunting and defense purposes (an unlikely event in any case). It may be that the smaller the bore, the better the potential for extreme accuracy. I note that benchresters have long since settled on 6mm rounds for their game. - CW
    You are correct, you must shoot an AR different than a bolt gun and must shoot a lightweight heavier caliber AR different than a 223 if you expect to get good results.
    Hidden Content AR Performance 6.8 SPC, 5.56 & Grendel barrels.
    complete uppers- Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Florida structural engineer & home design- Artibus Design
    Hidden Content

68Forums.com lifer

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Destry View Post
    Good news, I talked with the manufacture today and the person I talked to said that they replaced my barrel due to accuracy reasons but he didn't know what the reason was as they just shot it and seen that it wouldn't shoot and decided to replace it. Even better news is they test fired the new barrel to ensure accuracy and he said the 2 test targets were 3 shot groups with one being less than 1/2" using 110 gr bthp. So I feel confident I can find a load it likes using my preferred 120gr SST!
    Very cool.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

Default Barrel Accuracy issues

. I don't have any 10-round, 1/2 inch .223 targets yet, but I'm getting close. For my 6.8s, my standard of excellence is 10 rounds into 1.25" at 100 yards, more than good enough for hunting and defense purposes (an unlikely event in any case). CW
    What's unlikely about it? This happened today in broad daylight in a populated neighborhood.

https://tribunist.com/news/headline-...utm_source=MOH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member. NRA Instructor

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SixDemonBag View Post
    What's unlikely about it? This happened today in broad daylight in a populated neighborhood.

If this kind of home invasion happened in my house and I was ready, the attackers would be dead or wounded from .45 ACP rounds. If my wife were home, they would be 9mmP rounds. I even have shotguns and 00 buck if the fight moves outside, but my military training has conditioned me to consider rifles as primarily offensive weapons.

I live in a typical suburban neighborhood of single-family residences. My AR-15s would likely come into play only in a true SHTF situation where all able-bodied adults were asked to muster with arms to defend the neighborhood from looters. In my area, the most likely cause of that kind of breakdown would be a massive earthquake, the so-called big one we are awaiting here on the West Coast. We have learned from our occasional destructive windstorms, that once electric power is gone, its only a matter of time before law and order lapses and evacuation begins. - CW
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; - part of 14th Amendment to the US Constitution

If this kind of home invasion happened in my house and I was ready, the attackers would be dead or wounded from .45 ACP rounds. If my wife were home, they would be 9mmP rounds. I even have shotguns and 00 buck if the fight moves outside, but my military training has conditioned me to consider rifles as primarily offensive weapons.

I live in a typical suburban neighborhood of single-family residences. My AR-15s would likely come into play only in a true SHTF situation where all able-bodied adults were asked to muster with arms to defend the neighborhood from looters. In my area, the most likely cause of that kind of breakdown would be a massive earthquake, the so-called big one we are awaiting here on the West Coast. We have learned from our occasional destructive windstorms, that once electric power is gone, its only a matter of time before law and order lapses and evacuation begins. - CW
    I'm just saying it happens, you use what you have when you have it. In this day and age it isn't unlikely.

6.8 SPC Lover

my military training has conditioned me to consider rifles as primarily offensive weapons.
    That seems like a really odd statement. Can you expand on what training you had that gave you that impression?

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SixDemonBag View Post

Funny how CNN didn't report that one, isn't it?

68Forums.com lifer

Exclamation

There were plenty of signs out saying "Looters Will Be Shot" and homeowners that refused to evacuate during the fires here in rural CA ready to use their rifles, handguns and shotguns to protect their property from looters that came out of the gutters as soon as people left. Though no one got shot, I know my neighbors well and I have no doubt they would have taken "defensive" action if they had caught someone trying to loot and got even the least amount of resistance or aggression from them. LOL, "Say what?" Bang, bang! "Huh?"

Quote Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
    Funny how CNN didn't report that one, isn't it?
    More like expected?