6.8 SPC Forums banner

STI 2011 Build

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Scottytuned 
#1 ·
I recently came into a STI 2011 frame for a very low price, and after hearing some good things, I decided to bite. Full disclosure that this is my first 1911/2011, so I'm coming into this with no experience and ready to learn. My brother has a factory Rem 1911, and has worked it a little, but I'm going to be web-learning most of the way.

Here is what I am starting with:

Im open to those with experience on where to start. For slide I'm considering STI or Caspian, but open across the board. Please let me know if I'm being dumb, and parts won't work together. I'm looking at doing the work myself, and would prefer not to farm too much (if anything) out. I have a number of general gunsmithing tools, albeit not many 1911 specific ones. I'd love to hear what others would recommend for slide, barrel, sight cut on slide, and in general where I should start. I know there's a reason that top smiths charge what they do, and many would probably scoff at me for trying this as a self-build, but I'm trying To make this my own custom if that makes sense. It realize it won't likely be on par with a top shop, but I'm going to do my darn best to get there. I'd love to hear opinions on parts, options, good readings, and even caliber (leaning towards 45, but also 9 is an option). This will not be used for competition, this is solely a sidearm when hunting or for plinking.

Ill keep updating as I make progress and steps forward!

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like fun. Might be worth your time to seek out 1911 build books and buy the best one for a planning manual and resource options.
Most 1911's are pretty straight forward copies of Mr. John Browning's original design. However, STI may have substantial differences that could be problematic. Lots easier to do research, ask questions and options before committing.
Keep us updated on this very interesting project.

BTW.....what caliber are you planning to use?

#4 · (Edited)
Leaning towards 45, juts because that can be hot enough for legal deer in my state. Also looking at 9 though as well. Since I'm not doing competition, I won't do 40 or 38 super.

This makes me feel really dumb, but it does appear to be ramped. Confirm?

This would mean I need a ramped Nowlin Wilson style to match my research is correct.

#3 ·
I have multiple 1911-2011-Paras - thought about DIY but tend to buy used as adding up all the parts and labor adds up. Suggest you look at eBay for complete 1911 top ends - some deals there. I would buy used top end and then get a gunsmith to fit the tope end to the STI lower. Does the STI lower already have the ramp cut?

#5 ·
I've done a lot of very exhausting research to come up with a parts list that is worthy of the frame. It won't be cheap by any means, but trying to do quality throughout. From you more experienced 1911/2011 builders, I would love a critique. I am planning on doing all the work myself, including barrel fitment with the Xact fit barrel by Kart (which should make it easier). The plan for now is go with 9mm, and really enjoy the extra capacity of the frame. Again, not going to be competing with it, so mainly aimed at carry and general fun target shooting. I'm saving up as much patience already in hopes that I'll have enough banked for all the fitting, filing, and extremely fine tuning I plan to do.

SlideSTI - Brazos Lightning CutsLINK
Barrel (9mm N/W)KartLINK
TriggerBrazosLINK
Sight (Rear)STILINK
Barrel Kit FitKartLINK
Safety (Single)STILINK
Slide StopSTILINK
Grip SafetySTILINK
Sight (Front, .200)BrazosLINK
Guide RodBrazosLINK
ExtractorSTILINK
EjectorBrazosLINK
Pin SetSTILINK
DisconnectorSTILINK
Firing Pin Stop (Bomar)STILINK
Firing PinSTI LINK
Mainspring CapSTI LINK
Recoil Spring (Unknown #)WolffLINK
Guide Rod PlugBrazosLINK
Plunger Spring SetWilson Combat LINK
Firing Pin SpringBrazosLINK
HammerBrazosIncluded in trigger kit
Hammer Spring (17 lb)BrazosIncluded in trigger kit
Hammer Strut PinBrazosIncluded in Pin Set
SearBrazosIncluded in trigger kit
Barrel BushingKartIncluded with barrel
Barrel LinkKartIncluded with barrel
Barrel Link PinKartIncluded with barrel
Ejector PinSTIIncluded in Pin Set
Hammer PinSTIIncluded in Pin Set
Hammer StrutSTIIncluded with trigger kit
Magazine Catch LockSTIIncluded on frame
Magazine Catch SpringSTIIncluded on frame
Magazine Catch/ReleaseSTIIncluded on frame
Mainspring Cap PinSTIIncluded in Pin Set
Mainspring HousingSTIIncluded on frame
Mainspring Housing PinSTIIncluded on frame
Sear PinSTIIncluded in Pin Set
Sear SpringSTIIncluded in trigger kit

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.