22/6.8 nosler?
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Thread: 22/6.8 nosler?

6.8 Member

Default 22/6.8 nosler?

H... I had a thought while reading up on the 22 nosler. It looks like a 6.8 case with a. 223 rim. Could a guy neck up a 22 nosler, seat a 6.8 bullet, use a. 223 bolt in a 6.8 barrel and fire the first 6.8-22 nosler? It would seem this could allow higher pressure with the smaller bolt... Or would hoop strength be the limiting factor? I understand I'm ignoring head space and a bunch of other factors. I ask only as a concept. Excuse me if this has been covered. I have not been as active here as I once was.

Just a thought... The idea of 63k psi behind a 6.8 is a bit exciting if it were safe.

68Forums.com lifer

checkout the 277 wolverine............
    NRA Life Member
    Believer and Supporter of "The Constitution"

68Forums.com lifer

The wolverine is a necked up 223, the 22 nosler is a rebated rim (long) 6.8 case

Op--- it has been discussed before and yes it can be done, you would also need to trim the case as the 22 nosler is longer than the 6.8.....might need to neck turn also - not sure. Not sure if it could be pushed to 63,000 though

LUCK
    is the residue leftover when you subtract chance from preparation.

Mil-Spec means that it meets the lowest specifications that the military will accept. Do you want mil-spec parts?

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 Member

I'm very aware of the wolverine. That is in no way what id want or suggest here.

The 5.56 bolt face would be desirable as it can hold greater pressure than the 6.8 face. The 22 nosler case would allow nearly the same amount of powder as a 6.8spc which is already substantialy greater than the wolverine. I feel this would remove bolt failure as an issue for the hottest 6.8spc loads. Hoop stress on the other hand is beyond my ability to calculate or test for. I'd be a bit leary to test this idea without pressure trace equipment. That's why I'm asking here in hopes that H. can lend his expertise.

I'm going to try the concept myself but like I said, I'm scared to push it in my gun... I love my ARP 6.8 a little to much to blow it up. Maybe H. Will give me a discount if I try it and blow up... Lol.

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Quote Originally Posted by exigent View Post
    I'm very aware of the wolverine. That is in no way what id want or suggest here.

The 5.56 bolt face would be desirable as it can hold greater pressure than the 6.8 face. The 22 nosler case would allow nearly the same amount of powder as a 6.8spc which is already substantialy greater than the wolverine. I feel this would remove bolt failure as an issue for the hottest 6.8spc loads. Hoop stress on the other hand is beyond my ability to calculate or test for. I'd be a bit leary to test this idea without pressure trace equipment. That's why I'm asking here in hopes that H. can lend his expertise.

I'm going to try the concept myself but like I said, I'm scared to push it in my gun... I love my ARP 6.8 a little to much to blow it up. Maybe H. Will give me a discount if I try it and blow up... Lol.
    Hoop strength isn't an issue with any cartridge that will fit in an AR15 regardless of what that idiot LRRPFFT says. The case will rupture long before the barrel does as proven by Olympic arms destruction tests of the wssms. They loaded a wssm FULL of PISTOL powder and only succeeded in blowing the case and barrel extension apart.
    I've never broken a 6.8 bolt and I think I've pushed the 6.8 as hard as anyone out there. The primers and case will fail before the bolt so I don't really see a reason to try it. It sure can't be to save money by using a 5.56 bolt. You can't use the longer case length to increase the powder capacity because you are limited by the mag length. After buying a reamer and having a custom barrel made you would probably spend an extra $500 for little to no benefit. In short, save your money.
    AR Performance 6.8 SPC, 5.56 & Grendel barrels.
    complete uppers-

I picked up a bag of SSA brass for $49.99 at Sportman's Warehouse last week if that helps!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6.8 Member

[QUOTE=CHESTERDELTA;1020530]I picked up a bag of SSA brass for $49.99 at Sportman's Warehouse last week if that helps!/QUOTE]

Powder Valley has Hornady brass for $200 per 500 peices. Works out to $40 per 100 before shipping.
    Last edited by 17WSM; 03-20-2017 at 07:42 PM.