6.8 SPC Forums banner

POF Revolution .308

32K views 55 replies 21 participants last post by  Stormrider 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone seen these? POF .308 with same pin dimension/separation as an AR15. 7 pound range and is a piston gun. Looks like the "Cadillac" version of a DPMS Gen 2.

The BCG for this .308 is on the left. POF 5.56 in middle. DPMS .308 on right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
First time I'd heard of it. 7.3 pounds. Wholesale under $2,300 and in stock at distributors now.

Damn, I have more than that in the LR-308 I built using the 2A Xanthos and lightweight titanium parts and got the Form 1 back on it about 6 weeks ago for the 12.5" barrel. Mine is a good bit lighter, but it ain't a factory-supported piston system either.

#3 ·
My FFL buddy said the same. RSR has then in stock. I wonder what aftermarket barrel situation is? Proprietary barrel extension? This makes more sense to me than a Six8, that's for sure. In fact, I could see keeping a couple short barrel 6.8's and selling my 16" and 18" for one of these... having a 16" .308 that for all intents and purposes was same weight as my 6.8 would be great for hunting. Add a 6.5CM upper for longer range fun. Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I wonder what aftermarket barrel situation is? Proprietary barrel extension?
"The Revolution features many 5.56 parts; such as charging handle, bolt carrier, cam pin, buffer, heat sink barrel nut, handguard, and 5-position gas piston operating system. The barrel extension, bolt assembly, upper, and lower receiver are the exact same size as those on an AR15."

https://pof-usa.com/revolution/

I don't know the exact specs of the barrel extension between the two platforms off hand, but highly doubt there are too many manufacturers out there right now that offer 65CM barrels with an AR15 barrel extension.

The Xanthos set up I just finished building weighs right at 6lbs with either the 16" or 12.5" barrels (the 16" is heavily fluted). I followed Breaststroker's lightweight 308 build very closely- gotta give props where props are due. BUT, it ain't a POF built and supported piston gun either. The Xanthos will be 7lbs even once the ATF licks the stamp for the YHM Phantom TI. Had to get that suppressor since it was the lightest 308 can (15oz) that is rated for a 12.5" 308. On the POF, I could've used the 11oz TBAC Ultra I already had and came in at 8lbs.

#19 · (Edited)
I didn't shoot any loads through the chrony in the 16" barrel before I swapped out to the 12.5" on my Xanthos LR308. That being said, in my 16" Savage bolt, 165 grain handloads are averaging 2750 fps. In the LR308 with the 12.5" barrel, 125 grain Sierra Pro Hunters (2.725 OAL, LC brass, 49.1 Varget, CCI200) are clocking 2600FPS.

#16 ·
I figured you guys would be the ones to ask, because if a 16in 308 would be good to 300yds or so on elk i would consider grabbing the pof revolution gen 4 instead of waiting on an 18in version down the road. It will immediately host my can as well. I've also been considering abandoning having a 308 altogether and letting the 6.8 fill that role, as i have seen posts of people taking elk at 200yds with the cavity backs. I have a saiga 308 22in but its too heavy to field, and am basically looking for a lightweight long range semi auto. Just filling the niches in if you know what I mean. Let me know what you guys think.

#27 ·
How do the ultralight DIY builds behave with standard mass BCGs?
Check out Breaststroker's posts in the alternative caliber threads. I used his threads as inspiration for the one I built, but mine is a bit heavier as it will be a field use gun (night time hog hunting). I haven't played much with mine since I installed the 12.5" barrel since I don't have a can rated for 308Win in 12.5" yet. While I had the 16" bbl on it, I played with the AGB a bit with handloads and got it just right. Breastroker even removed weights from his buffer; I don't know if I will get to that point or not. I am thinking I will get the gas dialed in to the right hunting load once the stamp comes in for the can and pretty much leave it alone. I am running the V7 Ti BCG, so I can't directly answer your question, but if building ultra light, why not go with a light BCG? It is very light and incredibly well machined.

Here's one of Breaststroker's threads: http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?57826-All-New-AR-308-build-under-5-5-pounds

#32 ·
I recently ponied up the cash and got a revolution 308. After some blemish issues that got sorted out, i test fired it just for function with 5 rounds unsuppressed and 5 rounds suppressed. I had to take off the muzzle brake and put a silencerco flash hider on it, so i didnt get to shoot it with the factory brake. It's light and well made, but unsuppressed its loud as hell and kicks pretty good, and suppressed it throws a lot of gas back into this shooters face as i am left handed. I put some rtv sealant on the circle part of the charging handle to see if that helps with the gas issue like it has with my other rifles, but its currently curing. Its also raining so i cant zero the vortex pst 2.5-10 i stole off my 16in 6.8 (i replaced it with a vortex strike eagle 1-8, need to re zero that one as well). All i can say is that my first impression is that it wont be getting the use my 6.8s will. The 6.8 cartridge is a perfect blend for the ar platform, especially factoring in suppressed use, recoil, etc.

#33 ·
Appreciate the honest review. I was concerned I was going to have to pony up the cash just to give one of these Revolutions a try but after your review, I think I will stick with my 6.8's for deer hunting and just use my current (HEAVY) AR10 for those corn field sits where shots can really get long.

#35 ·
I don't have a Revolution ... but do have an 12.5" SBR'd P308 which is their full sized frame. With the original brake the fireball at the end of the barrel is simply astonishing. Mounted a Specwar brake and can. The can calmed the wild beast dramatically.

The 5R barrel has proven to be extremely accurate with 175 gr SMKs (to just over 0.5" groups). Not quite so good with 168s but still < 1 MOA. Makes a glorious impact sound on AR500 steel targets at 100 yards. 6.8 is lesser and the 5.56 from a shortie is pitiful by comparison.

Even with the very effective can, I don't think I'd want to shoot this rifle in a confined space. I think the 12.5" 6.8 mounting a Saker is about as much rifle as I care to shoot in a confined space.

#38 ·
Well, I just went for it. Picked up my Rev and had the gunsmith put my LEUPOLD 3.5-10x50 on it. Glad for hearing protection, but I get that from other 16" 308. I must say it's so far above and beyond what I could expect. This thing is my new go to hunting rifle. Also, Gorilla Ammunition is making a true self defense round. I spoke with the company and they're pretty fired up about it do we'll see.
If you're in doubt about this gun try your best to find one to shoot. Shooting Ranges might be a good place.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.