Thirty yards and closing - Page 2
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    68Forums.com lifer

Things happen quick in the woods. best to be ready.

If you do get charged............stay absolutely still. Happened to me twice, their poor eyesight is a good thing for slow moving humans.

Don't move and they will usually look around then leave.
    NRA Life Member
    Believer and Supporter of "The Constitution"

Quote Originally Posted by Tanlover442 View Post
    Things happen quick in the woods. best to be ready.

If you do get charged............stay absolutely still. Happened to me twice, their poor eyesight is a good thing for slow moving humans.

Don't move and they will usually look around then leave.
    Would take some kind of nerve to just stand there, but you're probably right.

68Forums.com lifer

Nice story and ending to another swine shankfest!
    "The gas came from a hole in the rear."

The 6.8 is the fastest growing cartridge and #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15."

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com lifer

OldMadMoose Would take some kind of nerve to just stand there, but you're probably right.

Truth of the matter is BOTH times..........I was in the open, no weapon--since I thought both hogs were dead(ha ha ha) nothing but 3' twigs to damn small to climb up. I just got lucky. I learned, I never walk up to a "dead animal" without a loaded weapon...even if climbing trees are close.

Like so many things in life that happen quick, I took the best of three options: 1. run, yeah right....even a lazy fat hog will run my ass down. Then it's cutter chopping time. 2. attack, then it's cutter chopping time. 3. stay absolutely still and hope the non-movement will mean the threat is gone.
    NRA Life Member
    Believer and Supporter of "The Constitution"

Quote Originally Posted by OldMadMoose View Post
    Would take some kind of nerve to just stand there, but you're probably right.

I recommend standing still while simultaneously leveling your rifle or sidearm.
    NRA Life Member. NRA Instructor

68Forums.com lifer

Of the flat out charges I have seen on hogs, they knew exactly where they were going, so standing still just made it easier for them. It happens so fast, that there isn't going to be ANY tree climbing. It has always been a wounded hog, killing the hog was the only thing that stopped it and it was always finished at a distance that could easily be measured in inches.

The thing is a sow would just about have to knock you down and get you in a position where she could bite you to do any real damage. Especially a smaller one. They don't have the long cutters that a boar does so they can't stab and slash with them like a boar. A sow rushing you like that you could kick her upside the head and she would likely be dazed and quite likely run the other way. I have seen more than once where people would kick them upside the head, grab them by the hind legs, flip them on their backs and either hog tie them or cut their throats. I have had this happen and just the black lab that was sitting next to me barked at her and was enough to turn her around while I stood there laughing.
    Not trying to make light of the situation. It can be pretty scary and the OP did good by getting the shot on her but I would have been much more concerned had that been a boar hog. I had a roughly 350lb boar rush me once and it ruined me for the rest of the day. Shotgun just managed to turn him away but didn't even slow him down. Unfortunately it was one of those shotgun only areas and I was using an unfamiliar gun. I was used to a pump so I stood there or a few seconds )(seemed longer) trying to pump the next round into this semi auto shotgun. By the time I got the second shot he was out of range.
    Last edited by Woodstock; 03-20-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    01 FFL, NRA, GOA, NAGR
    "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."
    ~Elmer Davis

6.8 Member

Cool

I can only imagine how high my adrenaline levels would be after something like this happening. Good shot OP

6.8 SPC Fan

Well you surely know that your heart is in good shape after that episode.

Good shooting OP. bullethole.gif
    Attached Images