Lee Auto Bench Primer; Issues/smashed primers - Page 2
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    6.8 SPC Fan

Thanks Woodstock,
    My RCBS swaging tool is out for delivery today.
    Another $29 towards the effort. Being a bit of a tool wh**e, I really don't mind.
    When I first started collecting items for reloading, I couldn't believe how low all the prices seamed. That is until I realized just how many of those low priced items I would be collecting.

6.8 SPC Lover

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by 303 HUNTER View Post
    After reading this I'll have to try mine again. Thanks for the info.
    Delete this
    Last edited by champco; 03-16-2017 at 08:42 PM.

6.8 SPC Lover

Quote Originally Posted by 303 HUNTER View Post
    After reading this I'll have to try mine again. Thanks for the info.
    Yea and I do not feel so bad reaming mine. I always ream 5-10 cases whenever I reload. I have so many Hornady, I cant just toss em.
    Last edited by champco; 03-16-2017 at 08:46 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Fan

Well,
    I just finished using the RCBS swaging tool on my Federal Brass, then did my left over Hornady brass.
    Let me just say that the crimp on the Federal brass was very prominent and you could really feel the bit work as evident from the pressure it took to pop them off the tool. The Hornady had just a little to no crimp.
    You don't bottom the bit out. You drive them in just far enough to pass/smooth out the crimp.
    The new part from Lee should be here tomorrow so I will have to wait on priming till then.
    It should be noted that the last three bent primers were cause when I finished a batch of Hornadys and switched to the Federals.
    Although I was already having issues with the small primer bit, nothing would've pushed a primer past some of those federals.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by nedro View Post
    Well,
    I just finished using the RCBS swaging tool on my Federal Brass, then did my left over Hornady brass.
    Let me just say that the crimp on the Federal brass was very prominent and you could really feel the bit work as evident from the pressure it took to pop them off the tool. The Hornady had just a little to no crimp.
    You don't bottom the bit out. You drive them in just far enough to pass/smooth out the crimp.
    The new part from Lee should be here tomorrow so I will have to wait on priming till then.
    It should be noted that the last three bent primers were cause when I finished a batch of Hornadys and switched to the Federals.
    Although I was already having issues with the small primer bit, nothing would've pushed a primer past some of those federals.
    Still be careful with the Federal. It they were that tight coming off the swager you may still have seating problems. I know swaging them was a waste of time (twice) for me and I ended up with a reamer in my drill to get the job done. I'll bet the ones you swaged will spring back enough to make quite a few still difficult to prime.

I basically don't swage anything any more. I ream it all and be done with it.
    Last edited by lapriester; 03-17-2017 at 01:28 PM.

6.8 SPC Fan

Lapriester,
    What are you using for reaming, if it comes down to that?

6.8 SPC Fan

The Lee piece came in.
    I primed 40 federal and 20 Hornady cases with no issues.
    I'm good to go.

68Forums.com lifer

Exclamation

Lapriester,
    What are you using for reaming, if it comes down to that?
    This: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...er-cutter-head

And an 8/32 thread coupler to adapt to the cordless drill: https://www.walmart.com/ip/8-32-Stai...&wl13=&veh=sem

I ream until the reamer just bottoms out in the pocket. It actually goes pretty fast. Wear grippy gloves to hold the case.

6.8 SPC Fan

I ended up getting the Hornady reamers for both small and large primer pockets.
    Although I ended up not needing it, I figure it was inexpensive and I'll have it later on if I ever do need it.
    That $99 case prep station is looking cheaper and cheaper all the time (Considering how many hand tools you end up with if you don't get one).

68Forums.com lifer

Exclamation

I ended up getting the Hornady reamers for both small and large primer pockets.
    Although I ended up not needing it, I figure it was inexpensive and I'll have it later on if I ever do need it.
    That $99 case prep station is looking cheaper and cheaper all the time (Considering how many hand tools you end up with if you don't get one).
    If you are talking the Hornady Lock N Load Case Prep Trio? I have one. Don't waste your time or money unless you're prepared to do some modification or repairs in the short term. Mine broke after 3 months of use when internal screws came loose on the drive mechanism. I was able to break it open....and I mean break because the case is not only screwed together, it's glued together... and I was able to repair it. But, a really big problem with it is that it turns way too slow for my liking. It takes longer to chamfer and debur cases well enough with it that it's faster by hand. Reaming with it takes forever. Oh and yet a bigger problem? It's light weight, there's no way to screw it to your bench and it takes one hand to hold it and the other to push the brass onto the tools. I replaced the rubber feet with long studs and drilled 4 holes in my bench for the studs to slide into. That keeps it in place....most of the time. I actually never ream with the dang thing anymore since it takes forever for each case. SLLLOOOOOWWWW!