QuickLoad velocity and pressure calibration
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
    6.8 Member

Default QuickLoad velocity and pressure calibration

Chris Long discusses calibrating QL with actual velocity data here http://www.the-long-family.com/optim...rel%20time.htm

Numerous reports of powder being faster or slower are easy to find and my current batch of LilGun does run about 8% faster than QL estimates. (not a 6.8)

My question is if, after adjusting the burn rate in QL to match Magnetospeed velocity, is the pressure then reported by QL fairly accurate?

6.8 Member

Quote Originally Posted by pnw View Post
    Chris Long discusses calibrating QL with actual velocity data here http://www.the-long-family.com/optim...rel%20time.htm

Numerous reports of powder being faster or slower are easy to find and my current batch of LilGun does run about 8% faster than QL estimates. (not a 6.8)

My question is if, after adjusting the burn rate in QL to match Magnetospeed velocity, is the pressure then reported by QL fairly accurate?

Your thoughts?

6.8 SPC Lover

i play with powder burn rate and weighting factor to dial quick load in to giving more accurate pressure readings. i also have pressure trace so that also helps.

you are on the right track.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Fan
    Hunting Texas with AR Performance barrels !

Quote Originally Posted by biggdawg View Post
    i play with powder burn rate and weighting factor to dial quick load in to giving more accurate pressure readings. i also have pressure trace so that also helps.

you are on the right track.
    Exactly what BiggDawg said...
    I don't have the pressure trace - but have revised powder burn rate, and tweaked weighting factor to dial in QL.
    Normally find that QL burn rate - after updating, will predict velocity within 20fps of my Oehler 35p, and sometimes in single digits.

6.8 SPC Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post
    Exactly what BiggDawg said...
    I don't have the pressure trace - but have revised powder burn rate, and tweaked weighting factor to dial in QL.
    Normally find that QL burn rate - after updating, will predict velocity within 20fps of my Oehler 35p, and sometimes in single digits.
    Do you mean the Ba factor that you revise? I use that to find a powder that is similar to the surplus powders I sometimes use, which of course, are not on the powder list in QL. And what is the weighting factor?...

Thanks...BCB

6.8 SPC Fan
    Hunting Texas with AR Performance barrels !

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    Do you mean the Ba factor that you revise? I use that to find a powder that is similar to the surplus powders I sometimes use, which of course, are not on the powder list in QL. And what is the weighting factor?...

Thanks...BCB
    Quick Load - Burning Rate Factor = Ba, is the powder burn rate to revise up to 10% ( +/- ) of the original QL value.
    -
    Weighting Factor in QL is a number to represent the fraction of unburned powder and propellant gases that follows the bullet in the bore.
    Reasonable default values for weighting factor - from QL:
    0.75 for cylindrical cases
    0.50 for typical bottleneck cases
    0.33 for "overbore" bottleneck cases...

6.8 SPC Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post
    Quick Load - Burning Rate Factor = Ba, is the powder burn rate to revise up to 10% ( +/- ) of the original QL value.
    -
    Weighting Factor in QL is a number to represent the fraction of unburned powder and propellant gases that follows the bullet in the bore.
    Reasonable default values for weighting factor - from QL:
    0.75 for cylindrical cases
    0.50 for typical bottleneck cases
    0.33 for "overbore" bottleneck cases...
    O.K. I probably won't use the weighting factor...

But, I do change the Ba from time to time as I use some surplus powder that is recommended to be loaded using certain other powder's data. I use equal charge of the recommended powder and the surplus powder. By shooting them both over a chrony, I can then adjust the Ba of the recommended powder to use as data for the surplus...

Thanks...BCB