6.8 on the podium again - Page 2
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by pake View Post
    Thanks for your response. I've never attended such a match much less participated but it sounds very interesting, especially with an AR. My sons and I shoot variations of this on our farm.

Thanks again for the information!
    Single loading from prone is made much more efficient with the use of a "BAD lever" device, only need to move trigger hand.

-Alexander
    Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment

6.8 Member

Quote Originally Posted by fast14riot View Post
    Single loading from prone is made much more efficient with the use of a "BAD lever" device, only need to move trigger hand.

-Alexander
    Interesting. I've just finished up my latest build using a 20" triad barrel. I fitted it with a BAD lever anticipating some usefulness but haven't fully tried it out yet in the field. I do like the operation in the shop tho.

pake

68Forums.com lifer

When in prone or on a bench if not using a rear rest/monopod, or using a simple squeeze bag, your left hand is supporting the stock (as many match rules dictate). Position your dope book, ammo box and other tools necessary to executing a successful engagement within 12" of your trigger hand. After releasing a shot, do not move off the gun, do not move the gun in your shoulder, grab your next round and load into the action, grab the grip and realign your sights. Close the action with your bad lever and prepare to shoot.

If recording data, spotting from a separate scope, needing to acquire a new target, etc, lift or turn your head slightly only. Do not remove the gun from your shoulder. Only if making gross adjustments where you should be resetting your entire position and NPA again anyways. When I'm shooting long range with iron sights my spotting scope is set up so all I have to do is open my left eye and the scope is right there. I may make notes to my dope about wind condition, light conditions (mostly for irons), mark my score book for call vs print, but I never actually break position or have to so I am ready to send the next round down range if conditions are holding favorable.

The whole point of building a good position is that the trigger hand has almost no influence in affecting the rifles position as the front rest, rear support, and head/sight alignment stays intact. Shooting sub MOA at all yardage encountered takes a bit of prep for the shot, it's just a new routine to develop. Sling, bipod, mechanical rest makes not much of a difference, everything should be set up to allow you to focus only on the next shot. Breaking position to release the bolt with your left hand really destroys all consistency.

I don't really subscribe to many of the YouTube videos on prone position beyond the basic fit parameters, i.e. being perfectly inline with the rifle, having a 90° bend in right knee, etc, but being in a totally relaxed state with bone support only is the key. Think dead weight and using no muscle. That is what will give you repeatable shots on target, on different days and yardages.

Anyways, longwinded way of explaining the reason for a bad lever, but for an AR they can be an important piece of kit.

-Alexander

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 Member

Thanks again Alexander. This is not only interesting, but very helpful.

6.8 Member

Cool

Firstly congratulations on the 2nd place finish. Secondly thanks for the long-winded explain again of the usefulness of a Badlever I learned a lot and will likely be adding one to atleast one future build.

6.8 SPC Fan

First time checking over this competition category, thought it would be brief but, whammo, wow! Goldmine 'o stuff! Thank you for posting your efforts, Alexander. Your practical approach to meeting and overcoming real-world conditions in these shoots you do, to get that "ding" especially at good distances, varied ones at that, making the mental adjustments on the fly, has got to be one of the best if not the best training method for any practical rifleman and particularly any hunter I've ever had the good fortune to stumble across. And all because I happen to build, handload for and shoot the msr format--6.8, yes please--and constantly seek to improve it, and the whole game.
    Thanks!
    --The hog is just taking a little nap.

68Forums.com lifer

I really appreciate the kind words guys. I'm just glad that some of my info can be of help to someone. I am a match shooter first, Hunter second. I shoot many more matches than the ones I post here. Sling and irons, air pistol, IHMSA, sling shot (yes, really), and I'm sure I'm missing something else.

My goal is to get new people shooting and old shooters out to matches and learning their gear. My dad is probably the best example of the latter class, he is an old school Hunter, if he can hit a paper plate at all ranges he considers it a dead animal. He also had a bad habit of lifting his head to watch his hits. It's taken a couple of years, but he's greatly improved and gained lots of understanding on ballistics. He's become a better shooter because of match shooting. It's been tough some times (read "Fired my spotter today" post), but it's been worth it.

Representing the 6.8 is a matter of pride for me at these matches now!

-Alexander