6.8 on the podium again
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    68Forums.com lifer

Default 6.8 on the podium again

I haven't shot my 6.8 since last August as I've been shooting sling and irons all winter ramping up for Service Rifle season. Felt good to get back on the comfortable, reliable old horse again. I had to scrounge up a couple partial boxes of my match ammo which made just enough for the match. I had 3 rounds extra in case of a shoot off. Targets were steel silhouettes, half size coyote at 660 yards, rabbit at 550 yards, 2/3 size wood chuck and full size crow at 440 yards, finally a squirrel at 220 yards. Wind was tricky, calm to 7-8 mph from 6 o'clock, fishtailing and we're shooting into a butte which causes all kinds of strange thermals and cross winds at the target you cant see even in the spotting scope!

I wasn't terribly thrilled with how I shot, but I guess it was the first match for most everyone else as I managed to eek out a 2nd in my division.

-Alexander
    Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment

68Forums.com lifer

Congrats, fast14riot! What was your load?
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein

6.8 SPC Fan

Whoot!!!
    Good shooting Alex!
    Congrats!
    Which range were you shooting at?
    Steve

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Xman View Post
    Congrats, fast14riot! What was your load?
    Thanks! I ended up shooting my normal 110BTHP load as I found a couple partial boxes between some different range bags. I will save the 120's I was talking to you about for proper development.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveOM View Post
    Whoot!!!
    Good shooting Alex!
    Congrats!
    Which range were you shooting at?
    Steve
    Thanks Steve! This was over the hill, North of Reno, NV at Palomino Valley.

-Alexander

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Congratulations on the match. That is some stout shooting based on your target array. Shooting steel of irregular shape is always a challenge and the crowd feedback puts more pressure on most shooters. Keep it up.

Greg
    CHECK OUT BHW'S OWN FORUM FOR GREAT INFORMATIUON

6.8 Member

Nice shooting, winds are always fun up here.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by GLShooter View Post
    Congratulations on the match. That is some stout shooting based on your target array. Shooting steel of irregular shape is always a challenge and the crowd feedback puts more pressure on most shooters. Keep it up.

Greg
    It is a challenge, add to it all 5 targets and yardage in 3 minutes, in random order as called by your spotter and things become real fun! This match really works out those turrets. The woodchuck is probably the toughest target as it's a standing shape, roughly 5" wide by 12" tall. Better be good on your wind call. 660 coyote was a challenge just because of the 110bthp, even cruising along around 2800 they sure do drift around quite a bit. At one point I had about 4 minutes wind dialed and a hard favor to get an impact.

Thanks! And congrats on your Bronze medal, btw!

-Alexander

6.8 Member

Congratulations fast14riot!
    That's impressive. If I may ask, in your competitions with the AR are you single loading magazines? Just wondering whether auto loading affects your OAL at times?

Thanks

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by pake View Post
    Congratulations fast14riot!
    That's impressive. If I may ask, in your competitions with the AR are you single loading magazines? Just wondering whether auto loading affects your OAL at times?

Thanks
    These long range matches are single feed only, but I do shoot a magazine length load. That load is what i shot in this match as well.

Thanks!

-Alexander

6.8 Member

Thanks for your response. I've never attended such a match much less participated but it sounds very interesting, especially with an AR. My sons and I shoot variations of this on our farm.

Thanks again for the information!