Stuck Bullet - Page 3
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stuck Bullet

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by slim1754 View Post
    Anyone ever tried firing another primer in an empty case to push it out?
    LOL. Good luck with that.

68Forums.com lifer

Exclamation

Kroil mixed with a bit of Mineral Spirits and STP. Pour some in from the muzzle end (not a lot) and leave it to soak overnight, muzzle up. Put a container under it. Use a wooden dowel barely smaller than the bore and drive the bullet out from the breech/chamber end, not the muzzle, even if it's closer to the breech (unless it's very close to the breech). Why wood? Much less chance of deforming the base of the bullet. Most attempts to drive it out backward will result in deforming or cocking the bullet in such a way that you'll be visiting a Gunsmith next and who may also not be able to extract it. That, and once the tip of the bullet imbeds itself in the end of the dowel, it expands and you may both a bullet and a dowel wedged in the barrel you can't get back out. Remember that pounding on the pointy end means you are driving on the weakest end and, in the worse case you will bulge the sides creating more contact and seizing it worse. Tap, tap, tap, not whack, whack, whack with a BFH. Getting in a hurry means getting it good and stuck.
    Last edited by lapriester; 03-02-2017 at 01:12 PM.

6.8 SPC Lover

Default thoughts from the beer can

Aww heck just get a primed case with about a half a charge of powder with a wax and cotton cap on the end and fire it, see if it will blow it out;
    I would like to know what happens

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by 78maverick View Post
    Get some Kroil in the barrel between the stuck bullet and the muzzle and drive it out from the receiver end with a 1/4" brass rod.

John
    +1 to this, however, I would first try a 1/4" wood dowel, which is easier to obtain. If wood or brass is too soft, a solid steel rod with the business end rounded off would do the job without harming the bore. Let us know how it turns out. - CW
    No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; - part of 14th Amendment to the US Constitution

68Forums.com lifer

So what's the latest? Unstuck...? OR ....not?
    NRA Life Member
    Believer and Supporter of "The Constitution"

Sry, I've been busy with work and taking the kids on vacation. The bullet is still stuck, but I will devote some time this weekend to getting it out. I'll let ya'll know when I'm successful!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

68Forums.com lifer

Hope you left it soaking?
    NRA Life Member
    Believer and Supporter of "The Constitution"

6.8 SPC Fan

Ugh - happened to me today. SIG P320. The bullet barely entered the rifling. I'd rather try and tap it out from the muzzle end since it's barely in there. I read the post saying not to do that. Is that the case? Going from the receiver will be the longest route.

I got the bullet out today...lots of tapping, but once it started to move, it got easier. I went the long way. While cleaning I noticed carbon / copper buildup where the base of the bullet was, couldn't get it out today, but gonna use some Sweets or Montana bore scrubber to get it out. Hopefully I didn't scratch the barrel, but I used an aluminum rod, so it should be ok. The bullet was not marred or deformed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CHESTERDELTA; 03-19-2017 at 10:59 PM.

6.8 SPC Fan

I ended up getting mine out. Sprayed some WipeOut in the barrel end, let it soak in the fridge. Used a metal screwdriver extension that happened to cradle the ogive of the bullet somewhat. I went barrel towards receiver. Three medium taps and it fell out.