Stuck Bullet
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck Bullet

Default Stuck Bullet

What is the best advise for removing a stuck bullet from a barrel? I shot a reload with no powder and the primer managed to propel the bullet about midway in the barrel. I know, sloppy reloading procedures, I will impove my procedures. I used a cleaning rod and lightly tapped the bullet in the field with a plastic tip with just hand force, but stopped there. Any suggestions, or should I visit a gunsmith? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

68Forums.com lifer

Wood dowl or stainless steel cleaning rod. Just be careful with the metal rod in the barrel. The bullet should tap out. Regarding reloading, I checked and double checked everything when I first started reloading. Weigh all your components to get the total weight then do a quick weigh of all completed rounds to make sure they have powder.

Thanks Ed, I skipped that step because I thought I looked into each case to make sure I had powder, I will add an additional step to make sure I'm g2g!

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 Member

Quote Originally Posted by CHESTERDELTA View Post
    Thanks Ed, I skipped that step because I thought I looked into each case to make sure I had powder, I will add an additional step to make sure I'm g2g!

I may not do it the correct way but I only work one shell at a time that way I don't inadvertently miss one. Works for me. May be a little slower for some but that's how my dad taught me.

68Forums.com Team Member

I've found that a hydraulic press works very well, it provides steady pressure where tapping (and eventually hammering) on the end of the bullet tends to deform it and compress it into the rifling even more. I ordered a couple feet of aluminum rod in the closest diameter to my bore size and cut it into a number of gradually increasing lengths so that I could place the rod in the bore against the tip of the bullet with about an inch or so of the aluminum rod protruding from the barrel. Press it until it's close to flush, then use a piece around an inch longer, etc. After you move it a couple inches you can use a few short sections starting with 2-3" long, placing the short rod into the barrel so that it is contacting the bullet, then using the longer piece so that you once again have around an inch protruding. Any type of rod will want to start bending if you get much more than an inch out of the bore so take it slow and steady.

If you don't have a hydraulic press handy you can use a hydraulic bottle jack underneath something fairly stout. It's a little harder to fix things in place than with a proper press but it can be done with a little ingenuity.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains or slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! ~ Patrick Henry (1775)

6.8 Member

Get some Kroil in the barrel between the stuck bullet and the muzzle and drive it out from the receiver end with a 1/4" brass rod.

John

6.8 SPC Lover

Standing all charged cases in a muili-hole loading block such as MTM sells allows you to check each case visually for powder. It also works for checking pistol cases for a double charge. If your lighting is on the dim side, a flashlight works very well.
    Vote Out All Anti-gun Incumbents

Enact Term Limits
    {SIZE}

I'm a deplorable and I vote!
    [/SIZE][/B][/I]

68Forums.com lifer

current issue.......kroil into the barrel muzzle end down(this is assuming the muzzle is closer to stuck bullet than chamber) let it soak till leaks out. Stand barrel muzzle down for a day or so. A solid brass rod about the same size as bullet and a light tap with a smaller steel hammer should push the bullet out. Good idea to lightly bevel the ends of the brass rod to allow for deformation without exceeding bore dimensions. Brass is soft enough it should not damage the barrel.

for future reloading: suggest you use the 50 round loading blocks to avoid no charge reloading. 1-helps keep accurate count
    2-easiest to have a bowl/box of primed brass to pick out one at a time to charge, then place in loading block.
    3-BEFORE seating bullet..........hold the loading block up, this way you can see all the brass are charged and filled at the same level.

good thing you didn't fire another bullet to clear the stuck one ..........THAT GETS VERY DANGEROUS.
    NRA Life Member
    Believer and Supporter of "The Constitution"

6.8 Member

Anyone ever tried firing another primer in an empty case to push it out?

6.8 Member

***I do not recommend this*** but when I was younger I got a .22 bullet stuck in my dads Marlin 60, so I got a fresh shell, pulled the bullet out with some pliers, stuffed a little bit of cotton in the shell so the powder would bottom out, loaded it, and pulled the trigger. Bullet came out and i didn't get grounded, it was a win-win.