savage 6mm BR
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Thread: savage 6mm BR

68Forums.com lifer

Default savage 6mm BR

anyone have any first hand knowledge on the 3 rifles from savage chambered in 6mm BR?

12LRPV - 26" bbl, 11 lbs, left port/right hand
    12F - 30" bbl. 13.3lb , dual port/right hand (IIRC)
    12 Bench Rest - 29" bbl, 12.75lb, dual port/right hand (IIRC)

LUCK
    is the residue leftover when you subtract chance from preparation.

Mil-Spec means that it meets the lowest specifications that the military will accept. Do you want mil-spec parts?

6.8 SPC Fan

I have been tempted to pick up one of those target rifles for a while now. I have a 6mm BRX on a plain old Model 10 action and it hammers. Ejection wasn't 100% with the short case so I originally removed the ejector and pulled them out by hand. I got an ejector upgrade kit from NSS and it works pretty good now.

Out if the three choices you listed I think the first one is standard shank and the other two are large shank barrels.

68Forums.com lifer

I've not seen too many reviews of them...most said they shoot great, a few said they shoot ok.
    The style of the stocks are pretty different...
    My club has a 600 yard range, but they may put a 1000 in next year.
    Savage also sells them in the 6.5x284 iirc --- everything I've read about the 6mm br is impressive , and I like that lapua sells loaded loaded 105 scenar ammo for $2/ round that has been proven at .3moa to start with, then I could reload and lapua brass is only $1/ round

I wouldn't be competing in official matches, I would just be "playing" at the club matches and practices , so I'm not in need of a $3500 custom rifle (and Grumpy showed me a pretty impressive discount program-Damm him)

Just toying with the idea, I'm sure a good scope for it would cost quite a bit more than the rifle

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Fan

For playing around at those ranges the scope is definitely more important than the rifle. A good prefit on a savage action would work well.

I forgot, I also had to bush the firing pin in the savage bolt to keep from cratering primers. I hope that one of the target rifles in a small primer caliber would have a better bolt face.

6.8 SPC Fan

As far as reloading, you can find Lapua BR brass for 80 cents on sale and Sierra Matchking can be had for under 30 cents. A cheaper bullet would be the Hornady 105 HPBT, roughly 25 cents and performs almost as well as the Sierra or Bergers. H4895, Varget, and Re-15 are solid performers.