6.8 SPC Forums banner

Wild Hogs In Alabama

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  73 scout2 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience hunting hogs in Alabama? I live near Birmingham, and I'd like to do some hog hunting once I get my 6.8 together. I know there's several public management areas with feral hogs but the closest to me is Coosa WMA and it's pretty big, I haven't hunted at all there, although I've deer hunted on a hunting club right next to it and you could hear hogs running and squealing all day long. If anyone has any ideas where would be a good place to start I'd appreciate the info.

#2 ·
If you find a place....let me know. Wheeler wildlife has some, but they are in a bow/flintlock only area. South alabama has a lot of hogs. I know for a fact that the state management area near demopolis is full of em.

The biggest problem is finding public hunting land that allows centerfire rifles. Federal land maybe?

#3 ·
My parents live in west GA just south of Columbus and the hogs have taken over.

They are so devistating to crops, if you can find a farmer growing peanuts, wheat, rye or soybeans with a pig problem, maybe you could approach them about hunting pigs on their land. Its gotten so bad around where they live, some farmers are putting up electric fences around huge feilds. You really need some night vision gear though.

My cousin and his friend scout by plane, go back make a call to the land owner, jump in the truck and go get em. They have good luck, but they know a lot of people around there.

#4 ·
I know there are two wildlife management areas (public hunting land) for sure thatthat allow feral swine hunting, Coosa WMA & Lowndes WMA. Lowndes is supposed to have good numbers, but again it's a matter of being in the right part of the management area. I'm trying to get in touch with the guys in charge of a couple hunting clubs around the Coosa area, most of the guys I talked to last deer season weren't interested in shooting pigs themselves, but they are becoming an annoyance, rooting up green fields and such. I'll definitely post if I can find any promising locations.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.