H says you Guys have lots of ideas - Page 3
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    68Forums.com lifer

i would like to see melonite treated bolts and bolt carriers. Mr. Beene hinted to me you might be taking over production of the bolts?
    There is a Clique, I ain't in it, Signed, Paranoid Deplorable

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Default Bolt Carrier Groups

I am planning on making the NextGen carriers and bolts. H and I will talk about anything more than that.
    R.

68Forums.com lifer

One sensitive issue that IMO we cannot ignore...

How do we manage when someone steals and idea from us or someone in the forum and then goes public with a patent or what not?
    Would not make sense to provide a framework where we can prevent cyber-squatters and parasites? I understand there is nothing 100% safe but at least
    something that will give a minimum amount of protection.

Someone took a design idea from me and they went to develop it on their own. Look what happened to H with his popular S800 bolts and the patent parasite who are trying to make a living form others.
    I think I have a couple of good ideas (like many others here) but the thing is how do we deal wiht this kind of situation with poachers all around us.

Or I am being too paranoid?

thoughts?
    6.8 Amigos.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1stmarine View Post
    One sensitive issue that IMO we cannot ignore...

How do we manage when someone steals and idea from us or someone in the forum and then goes public with a patent or what not?
    Would not make sense to provide a framework where we can prevent cyber-squatters and parasites? I understand there is nothing 100% safe but at least
    something that will give a minimum amount of protection.

Someone took a design idea from me and they went to develop it on their own. Look what happened to H with his popular S800 bolts and the patent parasite who are trying to make a living form others.
    I think I have a couple of good ideas (like many others here) but the thing is how do we deal wiht this kind of situation with poachers all around us.

Or I am being too paranoid?

thoughts?
    You can't stop it, you can only beat them to the market and make it better. Keep it quiet until they are on the shelf ready to sell.
    1)I sent a muzzle brake to Stickman on AR evolution to review on the forum. Next thing I know Rainier is selling them and the review never appeared. I changed the design and continued on. If you don't know that forum is owned by or run by Rainier Arms.
    2) I redesigned the AR bolt in 2008 and started machining them in 2009, now JP Enterprises is making bolts with the thicker area around the cam pin hole just like mine. Don't care, his cost 50% more and aren't as strong since he uses square lug corners.
    3)Around Nov 2007 I made a bolt to allow shooting a 6BRX in an AR15 and posted a photo on 6mmBR.com. Feb of 2008 Kramer filed for a patent for the exact same bolt I showed in the photo. Later in 2009 I redesigned the bolt with radius lugs to add even more strength. Last year Kramer tried to sue me over the design he stole from me. Not sure if he had big balls or was just completely stupid. It took him 8 years to get the patent. Meanwhile during that 8 year period he never made a bolt but I made a bunch...without a patent.

I don't want to speak for Randy but I thought some here had ideas that they wanted to develop, produce and sell making the profit and taking on the cost and having Randy do the machine work. That is what I do. I design it, test it, refine it and pay Randy to machine the parts. I bear all of the expenses and the oh ****s. If I screw up and design it wrong I eat the cost and send the junk to the scrap yard.
    I have not seen him say anything yet but he has a wire edm. He could make lowers being able to cut square corners with the edm. He took a 3d model of an upper receiver that I paid an engineer $3200 to model and turned it into a finished product. He could make muzzle devices. gas blocks, charge handles and probably anything else he sets his mind to.
    Last edited by constructor; 02-28-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    AR Performance 6.8 SPC, 5.56 & Grendel barrels.

Florida structural engineer & home design- Artibus Design

68Forums.com lifer

and to my mind, your endorsement means a great deal to me
    There is a Clique, I ain't in it, Signed, Paranoid Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    You can't stop it, you can only beat them to the market and make it better. Keep it quiet until they are on the shelf ready to sell.
    1)I sent a muzzle brake to Stickman on AR evolution to review on the forum. Next thing I know Rainier is selling them and the review never appeared. I changed the design and continued on. If you don't know that forum is owned by or run by Rainier Arms.
    2) I redesigned the AR bolt in 2008 and started machining them in 2009, now JP Enterprises is making bolts with the thicker area around the cam pin hole just like mine. Don't care, his cost 50% more and aren't as strong since he uses square lug corners.
    3)Around Nov 2007 I made a bolt to allow shooting a 6BRX in an AR15 and posted a photo on 6mmBR.com. Feb of 2008 Kramer filed for a patent for the exact same bolt I showed in the photo. Later in 2009 I redesigned the bolt with radius lugs to add even more strength. Last year Kramer tried to sue me over the design he stole from me. Not sure if he had big balls or was just completely stupid. It took him 8 years to get the patent. Meanwhile during that 8 year period he never made a bolt but I made a bunch...without a patent.

I don't want to speak for Randy but I thought some here had ideas that they wanted to develop, produce and sell making the profit and taking on the cost and having Randy do the machine work. That is what I do. I design it, test it, refine it and pay Randy to machine the parts. I bear all of the expenses and the oh ****s. If I screw up and design it wrong I eat the cost and send the junk to the scrap yard.
    I have not seen him say anything yet but he has a wire edm. He could make lowers being able to cut square corners with the edm. He took a 3d model of an upper receiver that I paid an engineer $3200 to model and turned it into a finished product. He could make muzzle devices. gas blocks, charge handles and probably anything else he sets his mind to.

Guys and Harrison,

Thank You for your thoughts and kind comments. I am hoping to work with Harrison and his ideas and production going forward, as he tries to relax a little bit in his new shangri-la. That leaves my plate full considering all the other stuff I want to make. It turns out that setting up a machine is a big deal and taking down the setup to move to the next project sometimes (or maybe always) means that things go pretty slow. If there are any good ideas, Harrison and I will consider them for sure, and we will make it work for you too.

With Kindest Regards,
    Randy

68Forums.com Team Member

To second what H (constructor) said, there really are no "new ideas" for the most part. It's about creating a better user experience, whether that's by improving function, maintenance intervals/cost, or coming up with a better way to manufacture that reduces the sale price.

The big tech and hardware startup incubator groups no longer sign non-disclosure agreements (NDA's) because intellectual property is the least valuable commodity they deal with. Knowing what you want to make is pretty easy, figuring out HOW to make it is the difficult, expensive and time-consuming part.

I think the main point of the suggestion was to point out that Randy is a potential manufacturer for new/improved products that you may need help manufacturing. I've had lots of "great" ideas for gun-related innovations myself, but the few that I still think are worth pursuing are a good ways away from being manufacturable, so I continue to percolate and redesign them as time permits. Hopefully someday soon I'll have some prototype-ready designs to work with someone like Randy to bring to reality.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains or slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! ~ Patrick Henry (1775)