What would you pay for SPCII premium ammo - Page 7
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

View Poll Results: What is the maximum you would pay for premium SPCII factory ammo?

Voters
136. This poll is closed
  • 20 dollars a box of 20

29 21.32%
  • 25 dollars a box of 20

22 16.18%
  • 30 dollars a box of 20

49 36.03%
  • 35 dollars a box of 20

30 22.06%
  • 40 dollars a box of 20

6 4.41%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    68Forums.com Team Member

I checked the $30/20.

Clarification. Loadings to SPCII does not/should not be a reason to call this premium ammo. Better bullets justify a little more money. Now, if we're talking about QUALITY brass (Lapua seems to be the standard for comparison... or Starline), then we're beginning to better justify calling loaded ammo "premium". When you talk with me, define your terms. W/O a clear definition of "premium", I went the middle of the road. How precisely is this to be loaded? How consistent is the end product? It's all great to ask what I'm willing to PAY, what is being OFFERED for that money?

Am I going to buy this stuff in case lots? Nope. I want S&B stuff on sale for that. I'll probably buy a few boxes at a time to have handy for hunting season/range verification of glass being dialed in.

One of these days I'm going to stop working 7 days a week and begin to tinker more with my reloading gear. Until then, I shoot factory loadings.
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    Politicians=Diapers: Full of the Same Thing and in Need of Frequent Changing.
    The 6.8 is the fastest growing cartridge and #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15.

AR Performance, ARP, However you label it, nothing but the best in AR15 Barrels

6.8 SPC Fan

How much would I pay? 20 bucks or so is all I'd pay for factory loaded ammo. Guess I'm just a tight wad because the standard ammo has killed every deer I've shot at since I've had my 6.8. The extra hundred or so FPS isn't worth anything to me but all my shots are under ~250 yards.

One thought I have is who would buy an "unknown" bullet like the cavity back bullets? Besides the couple hundred regulars on this forum who else knows about them? I frequent a few hunting and shooting forums and this is the only forum I've ever seen them talked about. Everyone has heard of the Nosler bullets.

If I was looking at loaded ammo on the shelf and had the option for AccuBond's for $30 a box and CBB for 30-35 a box I'd go with what I know. Don't overload yourself putting out ammo that no one will buy. I think it would hurt the cause more than help it.

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Guys,

Let me clear a few things up.

First, Robert and I are both working together on this and I am likely going to use a MFR here in TX to load the MKZ and other bullets for premium loading.

This is why I mentioned the CEB, the Barnes TTSX and a coupe other bullets. This MFR will only release what he considers "match grade ammo" currently, so we will work with him (and we also have the help of Harrison and maybe even Art Kalwas, with whom I am still in touch), to get the best brass, speed, accuracy that can be had in this cartridge.

All of you should know by now, we can't load a factory match grade MKZ or CEB for much less than about $32-35 per box, and make even a small profit. I am not making a penny on this, but rather I need the ammo manufactured for the Texas Feral Hog Eradication Force pilots who are now into the 68. If, as a side effect, I can get this MFR to agree to making "premium SPCII pressure, match grade" ammo in the process, I will.

It all boils down to this: If you want to see this ammo factory loaded, we need to know he can sell about 100,000 rounds reasonably quickly so he will cont to produce. The opinions about why it should cost X, Y or Z are moot, because we are trying to convince someone to spend $$$ on tool-up and development. The reason Robert, H and I need to be involved, is that we can shorten he development time to almost zero. We can't really do anything about component cost, since we are beholden to the MFR's of same.

One of the few reasons he's still interested is that he knows we are forum sponsors, and can "take the pulse" of the buyers here, whom are essentially a target market. If I get 150 replies to this thread saying " I will pay as much as $35 per box to see this start up and get it off the ground," I can show him something concrete. Gabbish?

What we need is just to know, how much you would pay if its that good, and we can bring a new source of better -performing true SPCII ammo to the market. It is possible he price could come down if any other MFR decided they feel left behind and starts making it, thus allowing competition to lower the price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HTR View Post
    Guys,

Let me clear a few things up.

First, Robert and I are both working together on this and I am likely going to use a MFR here in TX to load the MKZ and other bullets for premium loading.

This is why I mentioned the CEB, the Barnes TTSX and a coupe other bullets. This MFR will only release what he considers "match grade ammo" currently, so we will work with him (and we also have the help of Harrison and maybe even Art Kalwas, with whom I am still in touch), to get the best brass, speed, accuracy that can be had in this cartridge.

All of you should know by now, we can't load a factory match grade MKZ or CEB for much less than about $32-35 per box, and make even a small profit. I am not making a penny on this, but rather I need the ammo manufactured for the Texas Feral Hog Eradication Force pilots who are now into the 68. If, as a side effect, I can get this MFR to agree to making "premium SPCII pressure, match grade" ammo in the process, I will.

It all boils down to this: If you want to see this ammo factory loaded, we need to know he can sell about 100,000 rounds reasonably quickly so he will cont to produce. The opinions about why it should cost X, Y or Z are moot, because we are trying to convince someone to spend $$$ on tool-up and development. The reason Robert, H and I need to be involved, is that we can shorten he development time to almost zero. We can't really do anything about component cost, since we are beholden to the MFR's of same.

One of the few reasons he's still interested is that he knows we are forum sponsors, and can "take the pulse" of the buyers here, whom are essentially a target market. If I get 150 replies to this thread saying " I will pay as much as $35 per box to see this start up and get it off the ground," I can show him something concrete. Gabbish?

What we need is just to know, how much you would pay if its that good, and we can bring a new source of better -performing true SPCII ammo to the market. It is possible he price could come down if any other MFR decided they feel left behind and starts making it, thus allowing competition to lower the price.
    Well put that way, I would be glad to buy 4-5 boxes at $35 just to help the cause whether I need them or not. I have been planning to get some of the MKZ and try them myself anyway but as I said originally, anything I can do to further the cause.
    01 FFL, NRA, GOA, NAGR
    "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."
    ~Elmer Davis

I voted 35 a box and would probably be in for a box or two a year. My 6.8 guns more or less only come out during deer season and a little before to confirm zero. Given that the majority of 6.8 ammo I go through is shot at deer, I would be happy to spend 10 to 15 bucks more per box to gain better, and more consistent performance.

Quote Originally Posted by htr View Post
    guys,

let me clear a few things up.

First, robert and i are both working together on this and i am likely going to use a mfr here in tx to load the mkz and other bullets for premium loading.

This is why i mentioned the ceb, the barnes ttsx and a coupe other bullets. This mfr will only release what he considers "match grade ammo" currently, so we will work with him (and we also have the help of harrison and maybe even art kalwas, with whom i am still in touch), to get the best brass, speed, accuracy that can be had in this cartridge.

All of you should know by now, we can't load a factory match grade mkz or ceb for much less than about $32-35 per box, and make even a small profit. I am not making a penny on this, but rather i need the ammo manufactured for the texas feral hog eradication force pilots who are now into the 68. If, as a side effect, i can get this mfr to agree to making "premium spcii pressure, match grade" ammo in the process, i will.

It all boils down to this: If you want to see this ammo factory loaded, we need to know he can sell about 100,000 rounds reasonably quickly so he will cont to produce. The opinions about why it should cost x, y or z are moot, because we are trying to convince someone to spend $$$ on tool-up and development. The reason robert, h and i need to be involved, is that we can shorten he development time to almost zero. We can't really do anything about component cost, since we are beholden to the mfr's of same.

One of the few reasons he's still interested is that he knows we are forum sponsors, and can "take the pulse" of the buyers here, whom are essentially a target market. If i get 150 replies to this thread saying " i will pay as much as $35 per box to see this start up and get it off the ground," i can show him something concrete. Gabbish?

what we need is just to know, how much you would pay if its that good, and we can bring a new source of better -performing true spcii ammo to the market. It is possible he price could come down if any other mfr decided they feel left behind and starts making it, thus allowing competition to lower the price.
    like button hit

6.8 SPC Fan

Saying "I'll pay it" and actually selling the ammo once it's produced is 2 entirely different things. Heck, if you just want numbers I'll have them change my poll vote from $20 to $40 just to get your numbers up.

It's easy to say I'll pay it on an internet chat room poll but once it hits the shelves and people actually ordering it is another thing entirely. Add shipping to $35 a box ammo and you could easily be upwards of $2 per round.

I hope the best for ya but in the day of internet search engines everyone looks for days just to save the last penny. I just don't see a niche market with $2 per round ammo flourishing.
    Last edited by Mr. Chitlin; 02-17-2017 at 11:54 AM.

6.8 SPC Fan

so... 100,000 rds/yr = 5000 boxes/yr (box of 20)
    For 100 shooters, 50 boxes/yr.
    For an average-good hunter, 5 boxes/yr (my guess), or 1000 shooters/yr.
    Whatever Htr buys for bulk, to use on the ranch, subtract that and do the math for the remainder.
    - Grayfox
    Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! ~ Patrick Henry

68Forums.com lifer

I would be down for a few boxes once I get this flooded house I own sorted out. Wife has put the kibosh on any purchases other than those related to getting the house made livable again. Should be soon though as the sheet rockers are coming in next week. After that I would be willing to buy a few boxes as I don't reload at the moment.

FWIW For everyone knocking the price remember you can resell the brass and make about $10 or so back so then it does cost you $25 bucks depending on shipping costs.

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaraja View Post
    As the title says what would you pay for premium SPCII ammo.
    A serious question.
    If we could get a company to load various premium bullets in factory ammo and load it to SPCII specs and pressures what is the most you would be willing to pay for it?
    $20 a box, $30 a box, $40 a box?
    Please make your choice and weight in on why.
    I realize everyone would want premium ammo at $15 a box if possible but it is not.
    If we can get someone to load it at as competitive a price as we can and no one buys it then it does not benefit the community or the cartridge.
    We have all commented about and dreamed about factory SPCII ammo, but what is it worth? What is the most you would pay?
    Package received, I'll start pressure tests soon. S&B looks good too but I sure wish these guys making 36gr cases would use a smaller flash hole.
    AR Performance 6.8 SPC, 5.56 & Grendel barrels.

Florida structural engineer & home design- Artibus Design
    If you are a guy and walking around leaving a trail of blood there is a reason...