Accuracy issues with my Barrett Rec7 DI 6.8? - Page 3
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    6.8 SPC Lover

Thanks for posting an update and I'm glad to hear you found the accurate combination for your rifle.

My YHM 1-10 barrel only likes 120 SST driven by 27.5 gr of AA2200 or off the shelf 110 accubonds by SSA.

6.8 SPC Lover

Default Cleaning

Read Constructor's sticky on overcleaning your barrel. He says to let it build up a coating of carbon while cleaning all the copper out until it stops copper fouling then don't clean until it starts to lose accuracy. Then full clean and start over. This is in the AR15Performance sub forum.
    NRA PATRON Life Member

A lie told loudly and often is still a lie.

"We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, They will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion." Joseph Smith

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

Default Over cleaning destroys accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by luvmymini14 View Post
    Read Constructor's sticky on overcleaning your barrel. He says to let it build up a coating of carbon while cleaning all the copper out until it stops copper fouling then don't clean until it starts to lose accuracy. Then full clean and start over. This is in the AR15Performance sub forum.
    I came back to update this thread to address this exact issue, thanks for mentioning it. I had read his post some time ago, and thought he was talking specifically about his melonite treated barrels, not necessarily all types. Turns out this is EXCELLENT advice for many kinds of barrels - at least for my Barrett's stainless steel match barrel, and also my DDMv11 hammer forged chrome lined barrels. After cleaning them, they would all lose accuracy, and i found it would take 50 rounds at least to get it back - I used to think 5 to 10 would do it. Now I have let them get dirtier than i ever have before, and they all shot more accurately the dirtier they got. I used to clean them after 100 rounds (60 on my Barrett), and thought i was doing a good thing... WRONG!
    My Barrett has about 200 rounds on it, and has NEVER been more accurate. Last time out, i was getting half MOA groups and occasionally putting bullets in bullet holes. Clearly my Barrett's barrel was not the problem... my over cleaning it was! Accuracy has vastly improved with all the different ammo i was testing, and their differences have greatly lessened.
    So for me, I'm not touching the barrels on any of my rifles until accuracy decreases - so far, it just keeps getting better. More shooting, a LOT less cleaning! Who doesn't like that?

Side note: I'm building another 6.8 with an ARP 3r 20" Triad barrel, will post pics when its done. After initial clean out, I'm not touching that barrel either for a while.. maybe a long while.. should be the most accurste of the bunch!

Search tags for this page

barrett rec7 accuracy

Click on a term to search for related topics.