Accuracy issues with my Barrett Rec7 DI 6.8? - Page 2
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkarlfisch View Post
    Thanks all your comments. I've tried both varieties of the S&B, the FMJ and the PTS. I agree the PST was a bit more consistent than the FMJ with groups but could still get 2 of 5 shots flying away from the main group by 2 to 3 inches in unexpected directions (@100yds). Haven't tried the Hornady Vmax since I couldn't get the other 2 Hornadys to group well either, but I just ordered the 120 gr SST to see if the heavier bullet (albeit slower) might have a more stable flight path. Also ordered some Rem UMC in 115 Grain, and the Federal 115gr to try. After reading several other posts, it seems many have had accuracy issues with factory loads, with custom reloads being by far the most consistent. Wondering if not only bullet weight may be a factor, but also speed - so are heavier and/or faster (to a reasonable point) more accurate than the opposite? My 77gr 5.56 factory loads certainly are. I don't have a chronometer, but based on "manufacturer specs" I will range test all of them, make up a database/chart and maybe I'll be able to see if there's any correlations to be found. Could be chasing rainbows too... but what the hell, I'll have fun doing it and I may learn something. Will pass on what I find out.

Btw, for those who are interested, I use a Vortex Hog Hunter scope, zero @50 yards (which is nearly .5 to 1" groups in the bullseye with all the ammo - not bad), and I generally have to hold -2" low at 100, and +2" high at 200 yards for all but the Hornady American Gunner which usually required a -1" low hold at 100, and a +1" high hold at 200 - most of the time that is. Sometimes it was -2 and +2 like the others. For all ammo, right to left accuracy seems more variable than up and down for me, but I can't explain why since there's never any wind to speak of when I do my tests. I also usually do a "hard hold" on my rifle, with my left hand grabbing and holding the stock back firmly against my shoulder. One thing I haven't tried ( but found helps with my 5.56's), is to put my left hand over the top of my handguard under or just in front of the scope, pressing down. I haven't noticed a big muzzle rise with the 6.8, so didn't think it would matter, but I'm beginning to believe small things matter more with this cartridge than some others, and it may be more sensitive to small differences in bullet variability (powder, weight, etc) seen with factory ammo vs hand loads. Just my conjecture on the subject, and may be all wrong, as I've just been shooting my 6.8 for 6 months (about once a week at local range near Bellingham, Washington). Many if not most of you fine people have a lot more experience and I appreciate any and all comments and suggestions. Thanks to all.

Attachment 23626

Use the hard hold as that seems to help with the 6.8 much more often than not. It is recommended by Constructor and seems to work very well. Hold that for end down firmly and hold the trigger back until the bullet has hit the target.
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army
    Twice Retired

6.8 SPC the most versatile MSR Cartridge available in the AR 15 style firearms.

6.8 Member

You should call Barrett. I worked there for 14 years. Unless customer service has totally flown out the window, you will get taken care of.
    They should ask for the rifle back to test fire themselves to check accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis1 View Post
    You should call Barrett. I worked there for 14 years. Unless customer service has totally flown out the window, you will get taken care of.
    They should ask for the rifle back to test fire themselves to check accuracy.

Very good advice. I was hoping I wouldn't have to send the rifle back to Barrett, but if I can't get decent results from my next ammo shootout, that's exactly what I'll do. I've had to delay that shootout due to fatherly commitments (my 9yo had a scout winter camp one weekend, pine block derby the next). Now waiting on the weather for a low wind weekend day. These are the bullets I'll be testing in the shootout, based on recommendations from this forum and others.
    2017-03-09 18.20.04.jpg

Took me a while to accumulate all the different ones, but I think are a good representative sampling. The bullet types range from 90gr to 120gr weights, and OTM, plastic tip, and soft points. Probably won't include the Full Boar bullets in the shootout - too expensive to use for shooting groups. I'll try one or two for reference but save the rest for my Texas hog hunt I'm planning later this year. I'll post a follow-up asap. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and help on this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com lifer

Have you cleaned the barrel with a good copper solvent? New barrels sometimes copper foul during break in. That will definitely affect accuracy.

I had one foul with less than 200 shots, and a good cleaning fixed it right up.
    Last edited by 303 HUNTER; 03-10-2017 at 11:36 AM.
    "Stupid is as stupid does"---Forrest Gump

6.8 SPC Fan

^what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by 303 HUNTER View Post
    Have you cleaned the barrel with a good copper solvent? New barrels sometimes copper foul during break in. That will definitely affect accuracy.

I had one foul with less than 200 shots, and a good cleaning fixed it right up.
    Good point. I was aware of that possible issue. I've also read some opinions that a "slight" copper deposit (like you'd get after 5 - 10 shots) actually makes a more accurate barrel than a squeaky clean one. I always thoroughly and carefully clean my rifle and barrel after each use, being very careful not to damage the crown. I also did a painstaking barrel break in, described earlier. Here's a brief run down of how I normally clean:
    First thing I put down the barrel is a copper solvent (Copperzilla) 2 to 3 patches (20 min between applications) plus a few brush passes (always push thru only), dry patch and it's ready for Frog lube mops and patches to finish. There is very little copper build up now, but I also only shoot 50 to 60 rounds most sessions. Barrel cleans up much easier and quicker now than when it was new. I've noticed this with my other two 5.56 AR's as well, which I attribute to consistently using the Copperzilla/Frog Lube combination - I highly recommend it.
    So yes, I start with a "squeaky clean" barrel each time, and low and behold, it really does take 4 to 5 shots before accuracy settles down, as others have reported. By 50 shots later, all groups start to open up a little more but not terribly so. That said, 2 to 3 MOA groups @100 yards are a bit disappointing for this match grade barrel, although ammo selection does make a noticeable difference, as does time....seems to be getting slightly more accurate, the more times I take it out. I am hoping to find at least one factory load that gives me satisfactory groups in my ammo shootout to come. I'd be happy with 1 MOA. I'm very curious to try the 90 gr and 120 grain varieties which many others have recommended (I've only tried 110 and 115 Grain types so far). Ah, if I only had more time and money to figure all this out...

I like to treat a rifle like I treat a new car, you have to at least shoot 100 rds or drive 100 miles until it breaks in, enjoy the time and don't sweat it...good luck on the new rifle!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by CHESTERDELTA View Post
    I like to treat a rifle like I treat a new car, you have to at least shoot 100 rds or drive 100 miles until it breaks in, enjoy the time and don't sweat it...good luck on the new rifle!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I had 2 REC7s piston guns with their 1/10 barrels and neither one of them were sub MOA, only my ARP15 barrels are
    I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am

RIP SSG Marc Anthony Scialdo KIA 3-11=2013 Kandahar

Quote Originally Posted by coldair View Post
    I had 2 REC7s piston guns with their 1/10 barrels and neither one of them were sub MOA, only my ARP15 barrels are

That's interesting and potentially confirms what I've been thinking (in my darkest thoughts..). That is, perhaps I'm getting the best I can out of this barrel and may need to replace it I really need a sub moa shooter. I will say, ammo makes a big difference, and based on my shootout results, I'm definitely happier with a few of them over others. As of this last week's trip to the range (plus another 2 weeks ago), the surprising accuracy winner seems to be S&B PTS 110 grain, which shot a good 3 shot group at 1 moa overall, 2 shots within 1/2 moa. 5 shots spread that out a little further to 1.5 moa, but not sure if Tha was more me than the rifle/ammo. As a budget round, American Eagle 115gr FMJ did surprisingly well (1.5 to 2 moa, with a few flyers another moa beyond that. The Fusion 90 and 115 soft points did well too, but cost a lot. Hornady 120 SST and 110 V-max did about the same but 3rd place behind the other PTS and Fusion bullets. Hornady Match HPBT 110 was no better than the American Eagle - not bad, but inconsistent. Remington UMC 115 was the clear loser, I couldn't get that to group well even at 50 yards - I let my 18 y.o. son shoot this up since he doesn't care about accuracy, he just wants it to go bang as fast as he can. I must be a bad parent...
    To help my evaluation and give me as many advantages as possible, I changed the trigger to a Geislle SD-E (my personal favorite), and added a SJC brake that won a recent .308 shootout. Both nice additions that made shooting much more enjoyable but from my testing, didn't seem to make any difference to accuracy one way or the other. Btw, 200 yrd tests were not impressive with any ammo, but that could just be more me then any barrel issues, or perhas I'm expecting more from this round than its really suited for - short to medium range (50 to 150 yrds). That combined with a less than stellar barrel are probably factors. At this point, I'm taking another contributors advice here and contacting Barrett to see if they want their barrel back to test.

I've been shooting and testing further now for the last 6 weeks, and believe I am able to draw some conclusions about my barrel and various factory ammo.

I think my Barrett 18", 1 in 10 twist, S.S. match barrel is at least 1 MOA or better, but only with the right ammo. It seemed to consistently shoot the Hornady SST 120 gr most accurately -- I was getting 1/2 MOA @100 and 200yrds. The Barrett 110gr, S&B PTS 110gr, Federal Fusion 115gr, Hornady V-Max and Match 110gr all shot right at 1 MOA. The Federal Fusion 90 gr was close but more like 1.5 MOA, as was the American Eagle 115gr. Since the AE 115 gr is one of the least expensive factory rounds available, this was a pleasant surprise. I agree with others that the Remmington UMC is not at all consistent and easily the least accurate by a mile - I used it up as my, "first 5 shot barrel fouling " round in a clean barrel before testing the others.

Other conclusions:
    1. It appeared the heavier the bullet, the more accurate I could shoot it. This is the same result I got from shooting my Daniel Defense 5.56, 1 in 7 twist rifles I have. Not very accurate with various 55gr ammo, but 1/2 MOA shooters with 77gr. The heavier weight bullets in each caliber produced much tighter groups at 200 and 300 yrds, as you might expect.
    2. Changing the trigger (to a Geissle SD-E) helped to get better accuracy out of all the rounds being tested.
    3. Adding the larger muzzle brake made all the ammo shoot smoother, which I believe helped accuracy a little and let me shoot more confidently (the recoil didn't "throw me off the rifle" as much, which helped me keep my sight picture during and after the shot).
    4. Adding a bipod (Harris type), seemed to make everthing more accurate than just resting the forend on bags, as I was doing initially.
    5. Using a firm, consistent hold was necessary to get the best groups. Hugging and squeezing it like a voluptuous woman worked quite well...your results may vary

Bottom line: The Barrett Rec 7 DI 6.8 SPC is a very nice rifle, beautifully designed and made, and I can now add, "accurate" at least to my standards. As accurate as an APR barrel? We'll see. I just ordered a 20" TRIAD barrel from APR for a new build. I will be able to compare and post a report at a future date.

I appreciate everyones advice, questions, and comments.